Talk

Advanced search

Argossucks!!

(11 Posts)
IVANA32 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:41:05

Bought a laptop on my card, laptop develops a dark line within two months of use, line gradually moves and covers whole screen dark. Sent to Argos repairs as still in warranty! They refuse to fix , as they claim customer damage!!! Not dropped the laptop or anything, so don't agree. I make a complaint. They ask me to pick it up, I said not before the complaint has been dealt with. AND THEY DISPOSE OF THE LAPTOP!
Complaint dealt with, got a letter and they refuse liability for repair. They want me to pay FOR IT, refer me to financial ombudsmen and within a week, I have a letter from the debt collectors! Why debt collectors??? I have not refused to pay . I just want my laptop back and I will repair it and then pay.

Am I being unreasonable to think this is off??

IVANA32 Fri 13-Oct-17 09:57:53

bump

LIZS Fri 13-Oct-17 10:01:05

How did you buy it? If on finance have you continued to pay? Try Trading Standards for advice on your rights.

Possumfish Fri 13-Oct-17 10:12:47

I've seen a case like yours before. I used to work in a phone shop who felt with repairs. If a customer wouldn't pay for a repair that wasn't covered by warranty (such as your screen fault). They had x amount of days to collect before it was destroyed. We had customers who would then want it back after that period. We obviously didn't have their phone any more, and couldn't just give them a new one, so we charged for the price of a repair and then gave them a new one. It was written in the Ts and C's but in tiny tiny writing. A sucky practice and often if customers wrote to head office they would get a new item free of charge...it's worth a shot?

SistersOfPercy Fri 13-Oct-17 10:33:44

Credit card? If so you might be able to start a charge back. Call them.

IVANA32 Fri 13-Oct-17 19:28:28

Hiya and thanks for you responses. Lizs- I bought it using my Argos store card.

And Possumfish- After that message I am considering writing to their head office!! Thanks for that. What worries me the most is my credit record being dented because of this. They didn't even give me a chance!

Maplestaple Fri 13-Oct-17 20:08:18

Forget the head office, email the CEO.

Asiaticlily Fri 13-Oct-17 20:51:00

I think where you will have an issue in terms of refusing to pay is that the finance is probably provided by Argos Card Services and the product is provided by Argos.

In effect they are 2 separate companies so you refusing to pay won’t make a difference in terms of the complaint you’ve made but it definitely could impact your credit file.

In your position I would continue to make the payments and then pursue your complaint. If they have referred you to the Financial Ombudsman this normally means they have completed an investigation and issued a final response so this might be the best step for you to take.

IVANA32 Fri 13-Oct-17 21:03:12

Many thanks for your responses. Maple Staples. Why didn't I think of that. I am going to google him/her now.

Asiaticlily- I actually didn't realise these would be different/separate companies- Sort of makes sense. However, I didn't refuse to pay. After the letter advising me to contact the FO, next thing was letter from the debt collectors, no discussion, letters or warning or even direct request for the payments by Argos. I just can't believe it.

Asiaticlily Sat 14-Oct-17 10:52:04

Was the letter advising you to contact the FOS from Argos or the card company?

It might be that your complaint was with Argos and the card company are responding only to a missed payment without knowing the reason why?

It might be worth posting on Consumer Action Group as there are some really knowledgable people on there about Consumer rights and purchases.

IVANA32 Sat 14-Oct-17 15:12:46

Asiaticlily- The letter was from Argos. Thanks again for your advise. I am definitely following all avenues on this. I feel that the Credit company and Argos need to communicate better with each other to stop things like this from happening.

I did look to find the email for the Argos CEO but it's nowhere to be found, only the customer complaint department email.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now