Talk

Advanced search

Christening Gift

(15 Posts)
bridgetjones1 Thu 12-Oct-17 09:34:26

DH and I have been last minute invited to DH Cousins baby Christening. We always find out things last minute as we live 2 hours away from DH family and are always the last to know anything. We only ever see DH extended family at Weddings, Christenings or funerals.

What is the protocol with gifts? If it was niece/nephew or we were godparents then yes of course we'd buy gifts but I'm not so sure with this one. We've not had an official invitation, just MIL telling us when it is and that we're invited!!

I don't want to appear tight so will probably just buy something small that won't cost a fortune but I wondered if this was now the norm with all Christenings?

Caspiana Thu 12-Oct-17 09:38:09

I would always take a gift.

OuchBollocks Thu 12-Oct-17 09:39:10

My DS is being christened at the weekend. I don't expect gifts. If you want to buy something small to be on the safe side a children's prayer book/set of Bible stories is appropriate, or some non religious books like these

Farticle Thu 12-Oct-17 09:40:13

When we went to DH's niece's christening we took a card but no gift.

I have no idea what the convention is.

TBH, I wouldn't bother going to the christening of a cousins kid unless I was really close to my cousin. I was under the impression christenings are only for close family (parents, aunts/uncles of the kid, grandparents etc.)

Sunnysidegold Thu 12-Oct-17 09:41:10

I always think you can't go wrong with a beautiful book with something lovely written inside. There's lots to choose from and you can get some personalised.

A book of children's bible stories?

We have a christening next month and are getting a little christening bracelet engrave with child's name but she is my niece otherwise for extended family we would prob go down the book route.

Another idea...bit odd maybe...have a Google and see if any plants are related to their name...or give a tree for their garden. You could even have a little plaque inscribed.

I never really know with gifts.confused

Fruitcorner123 Thu 12-Oct-17 09:41:33

Yes I would always take a small gift. If you are not religious yourself a soft toy or clothes or a nice baby book are all nice gifts. You don't need to spend a fortune or buy something that would be a keepsake for the baby if you are not close family or godparents.

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 09:42:06

I would probably not go if I hadn't been technically invited. If I did go of course I would take a gift, probably a collection of short stories. On Amazon you can nice winnie the pooh or Roald dahl collections

MrTrebus Thu 12-Oct-17 09:43:21

I just wouldn't bother going if they can't be added to tell you about the event til the last minute, I certainly wouldn't bother buying a gift. But if I was going I'd bring a card with a token gift like a little cuddly toy etc, but honestly I wouldn't even bother I don't think unless you're very close to them.

bridgetjones1 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:01:22

Thank you all, I think a small book is a good idea.

I would be very happy not to go but DH is having none of it. As we don't see his extended family that often he always likes to go and have a catch up. None of them make any effort to come and see us, which is a sore subject but not one that I can change and it really isn't a battle worth fighting.

Strangely I am very close to my cousins who live very close to me but we didn't attend their Children's christenings as they have always been a very private affair with only immediate family members.

Just what you need on an October sunday that's predicted warm weather, to drive for 2 hours each way and then sit in a church lol x

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 10:03:00

Let him Go by himself and catch up then. You dont both need to attend. You agent even been invited!

DigitalGhost Thu 12-Oct-17 10:08:55

Buy a card, no gift
They couldn't be arsed to invite you so I wouldn't be arsed to buy a present if I was you

Farticle Thu 12-Oct-17 10:13:46

I would be very happy not to go but DH is having none of it. As we don't see his extended family that often he always likes to go and have a catch up. None of them make any effort to come and see us, which is a sore subject but not one that I can change and it really isn't a battle worth fighting

You don't have to go. If DH is so keen, let him go on his own.

2014newme Thu 12-Oct-17 10:15:13

Yes a 4 hour round trip to a christening I wasn't invited to, no thanks. He can go.

Hatstand Thu 12-Oct-17 10:15:20

I've never been to a christening where formal invitations were issued or gifts were expected, but I seem to be in the minority.

Fruitcorner123 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:21:11

Yes maybe let DH go on his own and just take a small gift..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: