Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you get a successful etsy shop

(6 Posts)
mrshansolo Thu 12-Oct-17 06:48:06

My mum has started an etsy shop selling crocheted items. She's only got a few bits on there so far but is struggling to know how to promote it and get people looking or whether she is even selling the right kind of thing. Do any crafty mumsnetters have any words of wisdom? I really want to help her make it a success. She isn't looking to live off the money or anything but I know it would give her a big confidence boost if she could sell a few things or even get a few more people looking. I don't really use etsy myself so what would you advise?

Sandsunsea Thu 12-Oct-17 07:06:19

Create a Facebook page to promote the items which links to the shop

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 12-Oct-17 07:31:42

IT is very difficult to get seen as there are so many other shops selling similar items.

Things that might help are making sure that items have descriptive titles and that the "tags" are filled in as this may help you get found in search.

Also I found when I started that with only a few items I did not get seen, the more you have in your shop, the greater the chance to be found.

Lockheart Thu 12-Oct-17 07:38:10

Good keywords, tags, titles, descriptions, and photos.

Social media is also awash with craft pages, so unless you become very popular and have a big social media following of actual buyers (not just other crafty types where you like their page and they like yours) they’re unlikely to help.

Keywords, tags and titles are essential to make sure you get found by the people who are actually looking for your kind of items.

Good photos will make your shop stand out from most people who take a quick phone picture which is dark / blurry / doesn’t show the item clearly. Good descriptions with detail will also encourage people who do land on your page to actually buy the item.

Justwaitingforaline Thu 12-Oct-17 07:44:17

Hashtags, professional images, competitive prices. Social media is a great platform to advertise on.

A friend of mine sells crochet items online and does fairly well from it. I’m a photographer and have recently redone all of her images, including ones where people are modelling said items, and her sales have increased massively as people can see how they’d look on

mrshansolo Thu 12-Oct-17 08:04:04

Thank you. She has some good photos but a few more might not go amiss. I'll mention the tags as well. I did suggest a Facebook page to her but she doesn't like Facebook so that's a no go! I did think maybe Instagram might help too. Thanks again for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now