Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think my corn on the cob is making me ill

(43 Posts)
Georgeofthejungle Thu 12-Oct-17 00:28:22

I’m not a big sweet corn fan and tonight I ate a whole mini corn on the cob with my dinner (around 5.30pm) and quite enjoyed it. But now when I think about it, it makes me feel a bit sick. Is it in my head? 🤔

Dontfuckingsaycheese Thu 12-Oct-17 00:30:10

No. Stomach.

Georgeofthejungle Thu 12-Oct-17 00:31:49

😂

meltingmarshmallows Thu 12-Oct-17 00:36:12

A few times when I’ve got ill (not stomach related though, like a nasty cold) I’ve associated it with what I ate, despite that making no sense.

After one such incident, I didn’t eat sour cream for years.

Georgeofthejungle Thu 12-Oct-17 00:42:28

meltingmarshmallows when I was pregnant I suffered bad ‘morning’ sickness. When it finally passed (week 17!!), I couldn’t even look at the maternity jeans I’d been wearing during that time without feeling like I was gonna vomit. Jeans!?!

SnowBodyforrrrm Thu 12-Oct-17 00:47:52

I had that too george only for me, it was spotted clothes. Any spotted clothes. And they were everywhere that season 🤢 It took me a good couple of years to be able to look at spotty clothes again!

meltingmarshmallows Thu 12-Oct-17 01:06:16

@Georgeofthejungle that sounds so familiar. At the peak of my morning sickness I spent a lot of time in bed in the evenings and I played this stupid egg game on my phone. I had to delete it and just the thought of it made me want to gag. Feels weird even thinking about it now haha

peppapigearworm Thu 12-Oct-17 02:35:35

is this a drunk thread?

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Oct-17 03:26:39

I got sunstroke once while eating ice cream sandwiches. Oh, the horror of ice cream sandwiches after that. I couldn't think about them for years.

Skittlesandbeer Thu 12-Oct-17 04:02:48

I'm no medic, but I'm sure I've read that it is a real thing that your brain tries to associate sensory info (tastes, smells, sights) with nausea/vomiting, so it can keep you away from harmful things in future.

It would make sense that we have this trait, how else would we have been able to test foods for poison in the wild as early humans?

If this is true, I wonder why bulimics don't 'go off' certain foods? Or maybe they do?

CaoNiMartacus Thu 12-Oct-17 04:31:09

I get nauseous with spiralised carrots after vomiting when I was a kid. Any other type of carrot is fine - it's just the spiralised versions that give me the gip!

SheGotOffThePlane Thu 12-Oct-17 04:42:30

I can remember being in bed ill in the late 80s early 90s and a new chocolate bar was heavily advertised and even the thought of it now makes me feel ill.
It was a hexagonal bar, and each one was filled with runny caramel and a hazelnut. Called Moments, maybe??
Never did force myself to try one grin

bushtailadventures Thu 12-Oct-17 05:27:22

I still can't Lilt, since suffering 'morning' sickness with my eldest dd...eldest dd is 29 now, so it's definitely in my head but just the thought of it makes me feel a bit sick. Weird...pine air freshener has a similar effect smile

AnyFarrahFowler Thu 12-Oct-17 05:54:22

We went on holiday this year when I was 8/9 weeks pregnant, and every time I think back to the holiday, I feel sick! I feel awful about that, since it was DS's first time abroad, and it was a perfectly nice holiday, I just felt sick for most of it! Such a shame, as we're unlikely to be able to afford to go abroad again for a few years once DD arrives.

elfinpre Thu 12-Oct-17 05:57:56

Sweetcorn does upset my stomach sometimes, OP. I tend to avoid it now, which is a shame as I rather like the taste of it.

echt Thu 12-Oct-17 06:15:08

My first encounters with avocados about 35 years ago, resulted in terrible nausea and vomiting, so horrible I had to avert my eyes in supermarkets so as not see them.

I'm fine now, love them, though it took years for me to try one again.

My morning sickness coincided with a gift of Issey Miyake's Eau D'Issey which I cannot smell without being transported back to utter nausea.

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Thu 12-Oct-17 06:22:52

I've been sick a couple of times after eating blue cheese and I can't look at it in the supermarket now. In fact my stomach's just flipped typing that. I'd say it's totally possible and likely to be a"real" association.

wren23091 Thu 12-Oct-17 06:26:31

@skittles, there’s usually no nausea involved for bulimics, I think that’s what the brain associates with rather than the actual act 😷

Birdsgottafly Thu 12-Oct-17 06:31:50

"Weird...pine air freshener has a similar effect "

I have that and put it down to it being used in not-very-nice public toilets.

White magnums are my phobia after eating two as I was recovering from a throat infection and then spending hours bringing them back up.

murmuration Thu 12-Oct-17 06:35:29

skittles, it is a thing! It's a type of one-trial learning. All mammals do it. Being violently ill after something can put you off that for years, if not forever.

PurpleDaisies Thu 12-Oct-17 06:35:57

I still can't eat peanut butter after being violently ill after eating it ten years ago. I don't even think it was the peanut butter that made me sick but now I can't even smell it without feeling nauseous.

gandalf456 Thu 12-Oct-17 06:38:22

Lemon makes me go a vit funny. It used to set me off when pg with ds

AngryBurds Thu 12-Oct-17 06:40:27

OP, you would know if C-on-C had been offf because it develops the most revolting pungent cheesy whiff even before the use by date.

I feel sick now.

Herbcake Thu 12-Oct-17 06:42:39

You're all talking about what psychologists call the sauce bearnaise phenomenom/syndrome. It's a thing.

bimbobaggins Thu 12-Oct-17 06:49:52

Just don't think about it then!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now