Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to turn down job offer?!

(60 Posts)
stresshead84 Wed 11-Oct-17 22:59:45

School A have offered me a job. Independent, great kids, 34 weeks per year, 8-1.30 M-F. 8 miles from home, but after dropping DS4 to School B and DS2 to Nursery C, it’s more like 11 miles and includes going back past own door. DS4 would need breakfast club 7.30 - 9. DS2 would need nursery 8-2 (right next to school A)

But...

School B has just advertised a job 9-3 M-F, state, also great kids. I’m more than able to meet criteria (sounds big headed, but I have worked with deputy head briefly on supply a year or two ago, and I know she’ll be asked). DS4 could go to breakfast club for 15 mins and straight home. DS2 would need nursery (at Nursery D on way to/from School B) 8-4.

Not bothered which nursery DS2 goes to. Both fine for 2 terms. He will go to School B in September.

Key points:

School A pays about £100 more per month, 5 weeks extra hols. School B pay leaves us with no space in budget, only just doable.

School A is maternity leave, likely to go permanent. School B is permanent job.

Next year DS2 will be too young for breakfast club so will need new childcare arrangement. If I’m working at School B, easy to sort. If I’m at School A then more tricky.

Do I go with head, School A, or heart, School B?!

TheBadTemperedLadybird Wed 11-Oct-17 23:03:12

B

caffelatte100 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:03:53

School A, it's less hours, more holidays and more pay. For a teacher with a family I would say that this offers much better balance. I wouldn't hesitate...

stresshead84 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:07:26

Sorry for the essay.

No family around to help with drop offs etc. Partner out of the equation as he leaves way too early and gets home late.

AtHomeDadGlos Wed 11-Oct-17 23:13:04

School A because you may get some sort of discount on fees and that could solve some of the nursery issues you’re facing.

madwomanacrosstheroad Wed 11-Oct-17 23:21:32

School b as permanent

Apple23 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:21:44

School A. A bird in the hand...

user1471441955 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:23:47

A

GreenTulips Wed 11-Oct-17 23:24:50

Well at the minuet you only have one job offer the other is advertised

You could end up with nothing

HouseworkIsAPain Wed 11-Oct-17 23:26:56

5 weeks extra holiday is loads. School A

Breadwithgarlicon Wed 11-Oct-17 23:29:55

Tricky. I think the shorter hours, more money and loads more hols would swing it for me. It might mean more travelling but it's still your time.

BlueSapp Thu 12-Oct-17 00:11:02

Take a interview for b if offered and decide once you can see the jobs in person, what the board is like what the other staff are like it would be a better indication of which you’d really prefer

notangelinajolie Thu 12-Oct-17 00:12:41

A

NikiBabe Thu 12-Oct-17 00:15:42

There is no either or here you don't have an offer from B. You havent applied yet.

Are you seriously going to decline A, hope you get B and end up with no job?

A has more money and holidays.

MumsGoneToIceland Thu 12-Oct-17 06:10:30

School A:
- it's the only offer on the table atm
- will give a better quality of life (more pay and more hols)
- DS2 gets shorter nursery hours
- Ds2 temporary childcare could be sorted with a CM and could be used for both children (personally prefer cm setting to bf clubs)

Percephone Thu 12-Oct-17 06:39:24

What will you do if someone else is appointed to B and you didn't accept A?

CinderellaRockefeller Thu 12-Oct-17 06:54:29

Accept A, interview for B. If you get B then make the decision.

LivingInLaLaLand Thu 12-Oct-17 06:59:51

School B HT won't be asked about as it's against rules for them not to disclose that they know you & therefore duck out of having an opinion in a recruiting situation.

Go with your gut & what works best for you practically

Sandsunsea Thu 12-Oct-17 07:02:53

A

stresshead84 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:50:14

Deputy head won’t be involved in shortlisting/interview etc.

If I didn’t end up with either job, I’d continue doing supply.

I think the problem is that I know School A is the best option now, but School B is better long term.

No chance of DSs going to nursery/school/reduced fees at School A.

BeerBaby Thu 12-Oct-17 07:59:44

Have you been offered both jobs? If not you take the one that's offered while trying for the other one! Nothing in the jobs market is guaranteed op. You could very realistically end up with nothing.

Civilservant Thu 12-Oct-17 08:03:24

My only reservation about job A is that it’s temporary.

Are you a single parent? If not, why can’t your DP do some morning drop offs?

stresshead84 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:03:42

Surely if I accept School A’s job, sign contract with 2 month notice period, I’m tied in then?

Civilservant Thu 12-Oct-17 08:04:43

They may well not hold you to it, but you’d be burning your bridges.

A bird in the hand...

Witsender Thu 12-Oct-17 08:06:30

A

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: