Talk

Advanced search

Do I pay full amount?

(14 Posts)
Mulch Wed 11-Oct-17 22:49:51

Hello, I have given notice on a rental property where the tenancy has ran out. The rent month runs 17-17th so I will next pay rent 17th Oct until 17th November. I am moving on the 27th October so will be paying for two weeks I won't be there. I gave notice on the 3rd of October so surely the rent should be prorata? If anyone can please advise it would be much appreciated. I don't want a dispute with my landlord and if I have to pay it I have to pay it. I'd rather have a quiet life but could do with the extra money to be honest

Oysterbabe Wed 11-Oct-17 22:51:36

You have to pay until 17th unfortunately.

PeterGriffinsPenisBeaker Wed 11-Oct-17 22:56:10

Depends what your AST contract says. Monthly means you're due up to 17th Nov, 30 days is from when you give notice...

fucksakefay Wed 11-Oct-17 22:59:00

I am a landlord. My contracts say a month's notice must be given starting on a rent due date. This means your notice given on 3 October wouldn't start to run until the next rent due date i.e. 17 October. So you pay til 17 November. Sounds like this is what your contract says too - its standard.

Anon8604 Wed 11-Oct-17 22:59:52

Does your contract say one month's notice is required?

Suze1621 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:03:39

My son has recently moved after giving the required one month's notice and his final rent payment was pro rata for 2 weeks. Have a look at your tenancy agreement to check notice required as this is the period you will have to pay for.

donajimena Wed 11-Oct-17 23:04:25

Yes you have to pay. You could always appeal to your landlords better nature. If they have one.
I didn't realise that this was the case until it happened to me this year. My landlord had asked me to go and I couldn't hold off the tenancy start in my new property.
I pointed out that I was doing him a favour (not bluntly) and that I had been there ten years. Its worth a shot!

Mulch Wed 11-Oct-17 23:16:08

Ok so I've read through my tenancy agreement and there is no mention of notice period. My 6month tenancy agreement finished August. I'm assuming if there's no mention it's up for negotiation?

CherryChasingDotMuncher Wed 11-Oct-17 23:18:54

Technically you’re supposed to give notice on your rent due date but it’s really at the discretion of your LL. can’t hurt to ask!

scaryteacher Thu 12-Oct-17 06:28:25

You can ask, but there's no guarantee the landlord will agree. It also gives you time to clean the property fully before your exit inspection. That takes longer than you think (having just done it).

chicaguapa Thu 12-Oct-17 07:02:41

You could ask your LL if he could let you off the rent from 27th Oct if he gets someone in before 17th Nov. We do that all the time and just refunded a week's rent to our previous tenants as we have new ones in before his rental period, which he had paid for, ran out. We're only interested in voids, not getting double rent for the same periods so it seemed reasonable.

Mulch Thu 12-Oct-17 09:21:07

So spoke to ll and said there was nothing in t&cs they said they would have a read of it themselves and get back to me. Gives me hope I've got chance to negotiate

fucksakefay Thu 12-Oct-17 09:21:45

As you've rolled onto a periodic tenancy following the end of the fixed term the law defines the notice due which is one full rent period. If you pay monthly it is from rent due date to rent due date.
england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/ending_a_periodic_tenancy

Mulch Thu 12-Oct-17 11:26:32

Thanks fsf that's really helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now