Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to get signed off from one job and not the other?

(12 Posts)
Carolthechanger Wed 11-Oct-17 21:35:53

I have 2 jobs. One is causing me immense stress and unhappiness. I want to leave but can't face working my notice. They would give me all the awful shifts.

Wibu to get signed off but continue to work in my other job?

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Wed 11-Oct-17 21:38:29

By signed off do you mean signed off sick? Surely up to your doctor whether they think you are unwell enough to need sick leave from the bad job ?

How long is your notice?

Carolthechanger Wed 11-Oct-17 21:40:37

A month.

I know what you mean but let's face it doctors will give you a note for stress.

Glumglowworm Wed 11-Oct-17 21:46:36

It depends if the jobs are different enough.

If the jobs are essentially the same role in s different environment then I don't think you could get signed off from one and not the other.

You really should just hand your notice in at the awful one. Yes it will be shit for a while but the end will be in sight and you can countdown til you're free of it.

Carolthechanger Wed 11-Oct-17 21:47:24

Honestly glum I can't, it's making me so unhappy.

They are totally different.

treeofhearts Wed 11-Oct-17 21:48:06

I'd do it. I shouldn't condone it, I know but I'm in a similar situation with a job that I can't afford to leave so I feel your pain. I would probably do it. Besides if you are so distressed at the thought of going in that you can't face working your notice period then you aren't exactly lying anyway. I feel physically sick some mornings at the thought of going to work.

Carolthechanger Wed 11-Oct-17 21:49:03

It is just horrible isn't it?

Calic0 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:52:21

I'm sorry you're unhappy.

But it feels a bit manipulative to me. Either you health is being affected by your circumstances to the extent that you are not fit to work or it isn't. I don't think a sick note (think they're called "fit notes" now) should be used as a get out clause.

I know it's tough, and have been in the situation where the idea of going in to work makes me feel bloody awful, but it's only a month.

Calic0 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:52:44

Your health, not you!

CoveredInFondant Wed 11-Oct-17 21:53:47

Didn't we just have this thread.
Except you already decided 1 wasn't good enough.
So you gave resignation with immediate effect (that they didn't accept).

Greyponcho Wed 11-Oct-17 21:54:23

If you don’t have any intention to return after the month, can you leave?
If you’re signed off as unfit for work you second employer might be covered by their insurance- maybe get a fit note to say you are not fit for [tasks in Job one] but fit for [tasks in job two]?

Carolthechanger Wed 11-Oct-17 21:55:44

Eh covered? Who did?

I could just leave with immediate effect but I don't want to sever any ties either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now