Talk

Advanced search

Foods you haven't eaten in ages

(9 Posts)
SeamusMacDubh Wed 11-Oct-17 20:15:23

AIBU to ask if there are foods you haven't eaten or don't eat because of irrational fear of the calories?

Reading about the new advice on runny eggs today made me realise that during my teenage years when I had a vegan phase (lasted 3 years) the only food I craved that I didn't eat was runny eggs and yet I can't remember the last time I ate a fried egg because "scrambled is less fatty" or some other nonesense that I've got into my head when in reality I don't think there's much difference, unless you drink the oil the egg is fried in hmm

Other foods I avoid include pasta dishes, even though I love pasta. There's probably loads but I can't think of any.

Needalifeoverhaul Wed 11-Oct-17 20:26:13

Yes, left over irrational fears from years with an eating disorder include
Cream
Pasties/pies
Full fat yogurt/mayo/milk
Sugary drinks including fruit juice
KFC chicken
Non diet hot chocolate
Bacon sandwiches
Creamy sauces
A full English
Cheese toasties
Sandwiches made with butter
Muesli
Granola

I could go on! It's certainly made me think making this list just how disordered my eating still is

Needalifeoverhaul Wed 11-Oct-17 20:31:05

Thank you for this post Seamus, I've just accepted this avoidance as normal but now I realise it's something I need to address. The sad thing is I used to love all of the foods in the list and was never overweight by eating them! Are you going to start eating fried eggs and pasta again do you think?

SomewhereInbetween1 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:31:32

Scrambled is NOT less fatty.
scrambled eggs absorb all the butter and milk you put in, fried eggs are not pourous so don't absorb any oil ☺️

isseywithcats Wed 11-Oct-17 20:34:10

the only food i can think of is pickled eggs i used to love them whe i was a teenager and now dont think i could eat one if i tried as over the years i have gone off anything vinegary

SeamusMacDubh Wed 11-Oct-17 20:35:34

Need, sorry if my post has brought up some unexpected feelings/thoughts. I probably will not worry about the eggs in future, tbh, and if I want pasta then I'll eat it

I knew my thinking on eggs was flawed!! Thanks grin

roses2 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:41:23

Spicy chicken wings and chips all deep fried. Not from kfc but the nicer ones from chicken cottage. I love these but only buy a handful of times a year as it's so unhealthy.

The Iceland spicy chicken breast fillet is close enough and healthier so I have that around once a month.

Needalifeoverhaul Wed 11-Oct-17 21:34:46

Seamus God no, don't be sorry! I just wonder if anyone else has the same problem. I know there's an eating disorder section here but compared to the losing weight threads, doesn't seem very much used. I just wonder, based on your post, how many others have these food restrictions. I'm glad you've posted smile

Jooni Wed 11-Oct-17 21:44:07

I used to have lots but am thrilled and amazed to say that I genuinely feel over my eating disorder now.

The only thing I can think now is that I generally avoid alcoholic/fizzy/juice/smoothie drinks and fancy hot drinks because it doesn't seem worth the sugar content! If I'm going to have that much sugar I'd rather have a big piece of something chocolatey grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: