Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To leave my husband over a pair of football boots?!

(79 Posts)
scampiandchips1 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:27:11

Posting here for traffic

Please help!
My husbands new football boots have nearly caused us to divorce!! They have literally stunk our house out for 2 weeks now, the smell is the most powerful intense smell and it’s got everywhere! It smells like a damp smell. He’s washed them thoroughly and used special sports shoe odour eaters on them but nothing is working, he doesn’t even think the smell is that bad - it’s horrendous!

Any advice? He won’t send them back or leave them outside so I’m literally thinking the only way to resolve this is to LTB! 

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Wed 11-Oct-17 18:28:20

I feel like I give this advice a lot, but a fresh unused tea bag in each boot will absorb the smell. It works for DS's army boots.

AnaWinter Wed 11-Oct-17 18:28:36

Have you got a garden op? Open the door, throw them as far as you can. You are welcome.

TalkingSheds Wed 11-Oct-17 18:29:01

Urgh! Are you sure it's the boots? How can they smell that bad? Bag them up and put them outside OP.

winefortea Wed 11-Oct-17 18:29:05

Put them in a plastic bag and freeze them? I've read that freezing can kill the bacteria that cause the smell. Never tried it though so not sure how true it is!

ShatnersBassoon Wed 11-Oct-17 18:30:11

Just chuck them outside. Fresh air might help. They aren't going to get cold and lonely out there.

scampiandchips1 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:33:02

Thanks, some great advice here!
I think I’ve been over nagging him on this as it’s really affecting me, so he’s now very defensive about them! I’m so embarrassed about the smell, even when I open the door to the postman!
It’s the worst smell I’ve ever smelt, plus I’m pregnant which is making it worse!

scampiandchips1 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:34:01

Re the teabag, do I put it in dry or wet? Going to try that one first

GetOffTheTableMabel Wed 11-Oct-17 18:34:24

Does he have a car? If they let everyone in the boot of the car, you won't be able to smell them and, if you're really lucky, he'll end up having to acknowledge that they stink.

GetOffTheTableMabel Wed 11-Oct-17 18:35:34

Gah. Autocorrect fail if they live in the boot of the car

Shiftymake Wed 11-Oct-17 18:39:18

Being pregnant enhances smells as I remember it. Just let your dh know so he has some understanding for your reactions. As for the teabag: used but dried out, put into shoe.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Wed 11-Oct-17 18:41:08

Dry teabag, unused.

allegretto Wed 11-Oct-17 18:43:31

And then make him a cup of tea with it. wink

DangerousBeanz Wed 11-Oct-17 18:45:38

Burn them.halo

RosaRosaRose Wed 11-Oct-17 18:45:57

Andnone : putting a bag of Yorkshire's finest in each boot now grin

Leeds2 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:47:18

Do you have a garage, or shed, they could live in maybe?

RosaRosaRose Wed 11-Oct-17 18:47:40

Really looking forward

OnlyTheDepthVaries Wed 11-Oct-17 18:48:43

I’m sure this was a common problem a few years back with a particular brand of football boot (can’t remember which). The smell was like cat pee and hideous. I think the shops ended up receiving the boots back as faulty.

CiderwithBuda Wed 11-Oct-17 18:50:51

DS had football boots like that. Are they Nike? It's something to do with the glue I think. From what I remember researching at the time. We binned them in the end. Tried everything.

Washed them in bio washing powder. Sprayed with freshening stuff. Febreezed them. Left them outside.

quercuscircus Wed 11-Oct-17 18:51:31

Yuck sad Fill them up with bicarb of soda perhaps?

AlternativeTentacle Wed 11-Oct-17 18:52:24

Tie the laces together and sling them over a washing line. Doesn't necessarily have to be yours.

PashPash Wed 11-Oct-17 18:53:07

If you're pregnant you are allowed to puke in them

True fact

Normalserviceissuspended Wed 11-Oct-17 18:55:38

Just put them in the boot of his car.

HotelEuphoria Wed 11-Oct-17 18:55:48

Garage, shed, car boot or if none of these are available in a bin liner knotted at the top.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Wed 11-Oct-17 18:55:52

I remember DH's cheapo plastic cycling shoes giving me the same problem when we lived in a flat with no outdoor space. I am much more sensitive to smells than him.

I put them in a plastic box with a good snap shut air tight lock. It was something like this

It totally contained the smell. Extra bonus was that when he opened the box the stink nearly knocked him off his feet. All the suffering was on him not me. He bought new shoes.

Years later he has discovered that he has to buy the expensive shoes to have no smells.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now