Talk

Advanced search

To leave dull job?

(6 Posts)
lolarosea Wed 11-Oct-17 18:11:06

I started a job at the end of July working a lab- vaguely related to my degree because its scientific but thats it. I really don't enjoy it and I'm pretty committed to leaving, and ive looked for other jobs. I've spent the last months doing the same thing everyday and I feel like im letting myself down!

My problem comes that the job has booked me on to a training course at the end of this month, and im really struggling to even spend a full day there at the moment because its really affecting my mental health. I'm not sure if I should leave ASAP before the training, or drag myself through the weeks until then so I look like ive tried (but then im 99% certain ill leave anyway)

Im lucky that i have savings and live at home, but I really dont want to leave on a bad note, because theyve done nothing wrong. I feel so stuck sad

NapQueen Wed 11-Oct-17 18:14:00

Would the traoning course be beneficial to other potential employers?

foxyloxy78 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:25:57

If any job detrimentally impacts your mental health, you should not do it. Simple as that really. You're lucky you live at home and don't have money worries.

Leamington99 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:33:27

Well long term it would be better to get the training surely. And to leave this job once you’ve secured another one?

Not saying not to leave, just leave at the right moment, grad jobs are difficult it secure and there’s no guarantee that your next job will be better

lolarosea Wed 11-Oct-17 18:52:20

NapQueen + Leamington99

Sadly the training is very targeted at this area and its just something that doesn't interest me at all and I'm more leaning towards going back to admin which I used to do for the time being. I understand I should stay, and i feel guilty for leaving but its making me feel terrible! argh

mishfish Wed 11-Oct-17 21:19:42

OP I sympathise. My brother has a science degree and hates lan work with a passion and absolutely will not do it.

You may need more experience but he now does contracting and earns really good money. Contacts only tend to be 6 months at a time so he doesn't have a chance to get board.

Would you consider staying a while longer, sucking up the training and the experience then consider moving onto something like this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now