TTC and pregnancy after c-section(30 Posts)
Somewhat inspired by the 2 under 2 thread, but didn't want to derail it so starting my own.
DS is 3 months old, delivered by EMCS. I was one of three under 3 and I loved being close in age to my siblings. I've always wanted that for my own children and I had always thought I'd like 2 under 2. In an ideal world with a straightforward birth I would have been thinking of TTC DC2 in Feb/March time.
However, I also hadn't planned on a c-section! Has anybody with a c-section had 2 under 2? Does anyone know of reasons why this might be a bad idea with scar tissue etc? WIBU to consider TTC in the new year? My GP won't give me a straight answer either way.
I was advised to wait two years to conceive after mine, though I've since heard that's outdated advice. Not sure if it was someone who's not with the programme or whether there was something specific to me.
I was told to wait a year ideally (my surgeon friend says to leave a minimum of 3 yrs between kids). I had a unexpected c section with DC2 when DC1 was just under 3. DC1 was in childcare/grandparents for the first 6 weeks. I don't think I could of coped with both as I felt so incapacitated. I'm 80% I want another & am planning for a VBAC but who knows.
I had my second child 17 months after my first ( EMCS)
As I’d had a section I was allowed to opt for another with my 2nd.
There was no medical reason for me to have another section but I booked into to have one.
My dd arrived 2 days before my section - vaginal delivery.
No problems whatsoever.
Go for it!
I had an EMCS with DS1, then DS2 was supposed to be a planned CS (I did have the choice to opt for a ‘normal’ birth as they put it, but I declined). DS2 ended up being delivered early as an EMCS, 2 years and 2 days after DS1 was born. They struggled to get DS2 out, I had a lot of scar tissue from the first EMCS they hadn’t anticipated. They advised me not to have a 3rd as I was a high risk for abruption/haemorrhage. I think I’m an odd case though as I’ve never heard of anyone else having so much scar tissue (and I work in medicine!). And I don’t thinking waiting any longer to have DS2 would have made a difference.
Having them so close in age was bloody hard work but they are so close now and when they play nice they really are lovely together. DS1 will never remember not having DS2 around either, which I think helps a lot with jealousy issues. I say go for it!
I was told to wait a year before conceiving (which I did, twice!). I think it's because of the risk of your scar rupturing. Your body needs time to heal before the scar is placed under the strain of another pregnancy
I expect factors like your age would also be relevant OP.
My 2nd and 3rd c sections were 15 months apart. I did have a bladder injury during the 3rd one although that wasn't because of the short time between ops.
I had a C-section with my first then got pregnant with my second when my first was about 9.5 months old. Second ds was born a straightforward vaginal delivery although he was born at 34 weeks with some health problems. No-one warned me not to get pregnant so soon after a C-section but I have since read you should wait a year ?
I was told to wait 6 months before getting pregnant again after I had had DD (my second c -section). I was pregnant again 8½ months after my first c-section. there are 17½ months between my 2 eldest. No one told me anything about waiting after my first, or if they did I don't remember. When I was pregnant with my second, they did apply a bit of pressure on me to try a VBAC (I didn't want one) and told me the scar has healed totally after 6 months. I assume that's an uncomplicated scar though, not one that re-opened or got infected or anything else.
I had a third section nearly 6 years after the second and no problems (such as adhesions or scar tissue) were mentioned, although they could have been present and just not mentioned, however it didn't take them any longer to do the op than either of the other times so I presume all was OK.
Gosh my post is complicated.
I will put it in another order
1st DC - had EMCS
Got pregnant with second DC when DC1 was 8½ months old. No one mentioned this being too soon.
Had another CS with DC2, they told me a VBAC would be safe as scar from first DC would have been healed after 6 months.
Had 2 DC by Caesarean under 17½ months old. Absolutely fine! I was 37 at that point.
Later had DC3 by CS aged 43. Also no problems
Hope that's clearer!
Quite a mixed bag of responses, all really useful - thank you so much! Glad to hear it's not unheard of either. I'm 29 and relatively (!) fit, recovery seems to have gone quite well. I was "lucky" really I suppose as was only in labour for about 2 hours before CS for baby's heart rate, hadn't actually dilated beyond 3cm so that helped with a quicker recovery I think.
Really grateful for all your experiences, thank you.
Also glad to hear most people's recoveries and subsequent pregnancies went well! Interesting about the pressure for VBAC Balloon, I haven't thought too much about subsequent delivery so that's useful info.
I had an EMCS last November and am, slightly unexpectedly, due next April. I am opting for a planned section because my first EMCS was awful (long labour, no progress after pushing for 5 hours) and I'm worried about a repeat. They've booked me in with the consultant at 24 weeks to discuss the options and risks. My midwife said there was no real worry with approximately 8 months between my pregnancies (there should be roughly 17 months between births).
My MIL is worried though as her scar split with my DH during an attempted VBAC and she was haemorrhaging. There's such a tiny risk of this happening however.
Following with interest. I had an EMCS in December, after getting to 10cm and baby's heart rate falling. I'm now due number 2 in March. I hadn't been told anything about waiting but I read quite a few things (after getting pregnant when DS was 6 months!) about waiting 6 months minimum and 18 months optimum. 18 months is also recommended after a VB. like you OP I had a great recovery and have had no issues since, I'm almost 28 and there will be almost 15 months between babies. I'm viewed as high risk on my notes because of the previous section, so will be closely monitored and offered another CS if I want. I know they won't let me go over my due date or induce me. I'm not making a decision about birth yet because it's possible I won't have the choice in the end if I go over or baby is breach. Whatever is safest at the time!
I was terrified going to my booking appointment, thinking I'd be told I'd made an awful mistake and put my life at risk, but the midwife was great and straight away asked if VBAC was what I was aiming for. She didn't seem phased.
Every person is different. Some women have 4 sections with no compilations and some have complications on the first. It's so hard to know but best of luck with what you decide! I'm the same with wanting children close together.
Unihorn we have similar stories!! I'm also worried about a repeat! A labour and then section anyway is not nice. One or the other would be great DS was three weeks early so if my waters broke at the same again it would be before a planned section.
I was advised a year before getting pregnant, but TBH pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding can take a lot out of you so it's not bad advice anyway.
2y 3m between mine. DS1 was a EMCS after a long labour and 2 hours of pushing, his big head was just stuck in a bad position! DS2 was a VBAC. I was given an induction date for going overdue, although as spontaneous labour with DS1 occured at 39 weeks it was unlikely to go that far over anyway.
The VBAC was monitored continuously, but the MW helped me get into a more active position with a birthing ball. He did come out of the main exit, although with forceps due to a late panic about monitoring his heart rate. I suspect there was over caution involved and more patience would have been permitted in a "low risk" delivery.
I had EMCS with my first and was pregnant with my 2nd when dd was 14mths. I Was never advised when to try or not try again. Ds was born via Vbac and I had no issues what so ever.
Had my second csection 1 year and 5 days after the first.. I don’t remember anyone mentioning leaving a gap - but my second was definitely a surprise!
They did say a VBAC may not go to plan, purely because my body might not be completely healed after the first section. But I was happy to choose a section anyway due to other factors. Anyway, there were no additional complications, recovery went as planned
I was on that thread, 2 in 15 months as number 2 was huge and delivered early by planned section at 38.5 weeks
I was advised to leave 6 months after first section and conceived at first attempt with number 2
Stand by what I said, would do it all again in a heart beat
What's the two under two thread? I may take a look as I will (hopefully!) be in that position!
I'm currently 21 weeks pregnant and if things go to plan I will have my second 16 months after my first. I had an EMCS with DC1 and was told to ideally wait 2 years but definitely 1 year before TTCing. We did quite a bit of research (medical journals etc) to see what the risks were, and it seems there isn't a massive decrease of risk if you wait 1 year compared with 6 months
(especially if you don't try a VBAC). As we'd had problems conceiving DC1, we decided to start TTCing at 6 months. Unbelievably I fell pregnant on the 3rd cycle!
So far things are going well and I haven't had any problems, but I am worried that something will happen as the pregnancy progresses . It's good to hear that others have been ok.
@CoffeeAndCupcakes85 it's in AIBU, can't link as on the app but title begins "is this an insane idea..."
Also @CoffeeAndCupcakes85 congratulations!! I know it's hard not to worry but I wish you all the luck and before you know it you'll soon have your gorgeous second baby with you!
All these responses are so helpful, thank you all so much. Great to hear all the research, different medical opinions and different people's experiences! Also useful chat about ELCS and VBAC. Thank you all.
I had mine 19 months apart. Absolutely fine. Had elective second time and it was like night and day! Just make sure you have help with the toddler for the first few weeks so you can take it easy!
I was told to wait at least a year but wine + stopping breastfeed hormones = surprise pregnancy
Good luck. If you want to go for it a would
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.