Talk

Advanced search

town is gridlocked between 330 and 630 every weekday

(357 Posts)
badtraffic Wed 11-Oct-17 16:12:01

The answer is to build more homes.

I could cry.

user1471517900 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:13:14

Sounds like you need more people using public transport.

19lottie82 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:13:27

Surely peoples need for a home is more important than your need to drive your car through the city centre for a 3 hour window each day? hmm

pisacake Wed 11-Oct-17 16:14:56

no the answer is fewer people driving to and from school I should think

Oysterbabe Wed 11-Oct-17 16:14:59

Well you're contributing to the problem. Get a bike.

badtraffic Wed 11-Oct-17 16:15:37

But how user?

Buses - a ten minute car journey takes an hour!

ShesNoNormanPace Wed 11-Oct-17 16:15:54

I live in a town where the most excitement is guessing which vital, already busy route is going to have roadworks on this week. Somedays, it's all the roads. Three random sets of traffic lights this week, plus the usual closures and lane closures due to building work.

NoSquirrels Wed 11-Oct-17 16:16:05

Do you live near me, OP?

It sucks but public transport is non existent.

badtraffic Wed 11-Oct-17 16:16:49

I have one.

But the weather is terrible.

pisacake Wed 11-Oct-17 16:16:59

If a 10 minute car journey takes an hour than obviously don't go by car, because that's just fucking stupid.

Bbbbbbbb2017 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:17:58

I live in a nightmare town too

badtraffic Wed 11-Oct-17 16:18:01

I do appreciate I am part of the problem although I'm not really. I don't go out during those hours. But it is awful for people.who have no choice.

user1471517900 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:18:09

But you're suggesting that your car journey is taking a ridiculously long time in "gridlock". If it's a ten minute journey then traffic seems fine - if way longer then bus is equally quick,

Also as people say, we need more homes. We need good traffic management as well - but this isn't a "one or the other" scenario. We can have both.

MuddlingMackem Wed 11-Oct-17 16:18:44

pisacake, I took it to meant that what takes 10 minutes in a car takes an hour on a bus.

FiveShelties Wed 11-Oct-17 16:19:01

I used to live in Bicester, left in 2003 and it was full up then. So what is the plan now ---- build a huge new estate on the one side which does not already have a huge new estate.

megletthesecond Wed 11-Oct-17 16:20:32

We need better public transport, safer walking routes and cycle paths and flexible employers who don't expect everyone to pile in for 9 and have a mass exodus at 5.

badtraffic Wed 11-Oct-17 16:21:50

That was a bus journey

badtraffic Wed 11-Oct-17 16:23:06

Indeed muddling

I'm really not 'fucking stupid', piss

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Wed 11-Oct-17 16:24:30

I always love the 'get public transport' responses. Where I live there is a bus every half hour that has to go around dozens of rural villages on its route. So the journey into town that takes 15 minutes by car takes at least 30 minutes by bus. If you add traffic jams on at busy times then it's even worse.

I feel for you OP, the town here is the same. No idea what the solution is.

whippetwoman Wed 11-Oct-17 16:26:22

Are you talking about Colchester? It's a nightmare now.

SandyDenny Wed 11-Oct-17 16:27:55

Town near me is the same and public transport is terrible, yet again MN posters who don't seem to be able to concieve that not everyone lives somewhere where public transport or a bike is an option strike again.

Loads of people just don't have the option to jump on a bus or transport 3 primary aged children on the back of their bike or walk home along busy roads with no pavements.

QuestionableMouse Wed 11-Oct-17 16:28:28

This is why my home town is great. Duel carriageway everywhere! It makes the traffic flow so much better.

Terrylene Wed 11-Oct-17 16:28:38

It's like that here and they keep closing roads and installing traffic lights too sad

Ttbb Wed 11-Oct-17 16:31:15

I am facing the same problem. The town where o love has almost doubled in size (which has been really great in a lot of ways) but the council have been useless. What little they have done to improve o fa structure has just caused delays and dove little to improve parking/traffic flows. On top of that they have poo pooed all the really great, invoative, thinking ahead type ideas that one particular councillor has proposed (the rest of them are just there for the money).

NoSquirrels Wed 11-Oct-17 16:32:14

There are no buses that would allow me to do school pickup or drop off - not without over an hour wait either end of the day.

Then if we did get home, any after school activities would mean a minimum 40 minute walk with KS1 primary aged DC. Bikes not safe yet for smallest on road, and would hesitate with eldest - no cycle lanes, and plenty of frustrated drivers (because of the gridlock).

Sigh. I wish they'd invest in sustainable travel, it would be brilliant. We only have 1 car (unusual here) & DH walks to work, & I WFH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now