Talk

Advanced search

Bovril

(40 Posts)
RubMyRhubarb Wed 11-Oct-17 13:30:32

Inspired by another thread which reminded me of a conversation I was having a few days ago. Nothing really to do with AIBU, posting more for traffic. I enjoy Bovril in the winter months, it's the only hot drink I ever have.

Bovril. You drinkey or you no drinkey?

Do you no drinkey even though you haven't ever tried the delicious brew?

Lighthearted - in case that wasn't obvious.

Cookingongas Wed 11-Oct-17 13:31:44

I don’t drink it- but do drink hot chicken stock- so much of a muchness. Yanbu 😊

Purpleball Wed 11-Oct-17 13:39:09

Put it on your toast!
Hot buttered toast, with a smear of bovril on it is awesome!

chitofftheshovel Wed 11-Oct-17 13:43:22

Bovril is both the drink of the gods and the food of the gods.

Sirrah Wed 11-Oct-17 13:43:44

I used to take a flask of Knorr chicken stock to school for lunch, yummy!

squoosh Wed 11-Oct-17 13:44:19

I do not drink it.

Maybe if it was 1954 I’d be more open to Bovriling but as I’m a sophisticated lady who’s used to the refined flavours of 2017 I just can’t see myself wanting to slurp on that ‘beefy goodness’ any time soon.

Bumdishcloths Wed 11-Oct-17 13:46:11

Nothing better than Bovril with a big fuck off slice of bread and butter to dip in it (maybe 2 or 3) grin

withlotsoflove Wed 11-Oct-17 13:47:12

Does it actually contain beef these days?
I thought it was just flavours.
Anyway, l like it. Much nicer than marmite.

BexleyRae Wed 11-Oct-17 13:47:27

It's a no from me. DP drinks the left over gravy, which makes me feel a bit sick

lostpurplehoodie Wed 11-Oct-17 13:48:09

Bovril toast is the best hangover cure in the world. It's even better than monster munch. I never think to drink it though. Savoury drinks are a bit weird imo.

maddiemookins16mum Wed 11-Oct-17 13:48:11

Chicken bovril in the winter here. I have a jar in my work draw, my (much younger) work colleagues laugh at me but a mug of chicken bovril about 4.30pm keeps me going on a long, cold commute home.
Really good when dieting too.

squoosh Wed 11-Oct-17 13:49:24

Drinking leftover gravy?!

At what point in your courtship did he reveal this dark side of his nature?

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 11-Oct-17 13:50:40

I like it, and marmite made into a drink.

Cornettoninja Wed 11-Oct-17 13:51:55

I don't understand this concept of 'leftover gravy'. How bizarre.

Bovril is the bollocks.

squoosh Wed 11-Oct-17 13:54:43

Tastes like musky bollocks

RubMyRhubarb Wed 11-Oct-17 13:55:22

maddie

Speaking of the chicken variety - why is this not available in the big jar? Why is it only fart arse little ones whereas the beef one is available in a big jar?

I also don't understand the concept of "leftover" gravy!

maddiemookins16mum Wed 11-Oct-17 13:58:01

I get the big jar from Somerfield.

ReinettePompadour Wed 11-Oct-17 14:01:46

Nope absolutely do not drink that stuff, unlike DH who drinks it all year round. I chuck a teaspoon or 2 into the gravy or rub it on a joint for extra moreness but thats it.

Granny used to rub it on her legs as fake stockings in the war. I wouldn't do that for fear of attracting all the dogs in the neighbourhood

Jemimapuddleduk Wed 11-Oct-17 14:04:21

I craved hot bovril during early stages of pregnancy. I haven't had any since. We are more into marmite in our house.

toffee1000 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:14:07

Tried it once. Didn't taste that nice.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Wed 11-Oct-17 14:15:26

I love hot Bovril with a smidgen of salt - perfect at football matches. I also love marmite as a drink.

Protectingmydaughterfromfilth Wed 11-Oct-17 14:18:34

I used to like it, or OXO cubes in hot water until I read the ingredients for both.....ground beef bones....🤢🤢🤢

LakieLady Wed 11-Oct-17 14:22:41

I like a mug of Bovril but hardly ever have it as after a couple of weeks in the cupboard the lid seems to completely seize up and sticks to the jar as if it was superglued.

If I could open the damn thing I'd have some now!

LegoCaltrops Wed 11-Oct-17 14:23:41

I like Bovril too. I have a jar at work in my drawer. Most of my colleagues are baffled & prefer disgusting fake tea & coffee from the vending machine, or expensive drinks from the canteen. Nope. Bovril or herbal tea with boiling water which is free. In fact I'm thinking of ditching Marmite & having Bovril on crackers as well.

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 11-Oct-17 14:26:42

I used to have this on toast all the time, love it! Don't like to drink it though. Not had it for ages, must add to food delivery.
lakie run the lid under warm water, that'll get it open

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now