Talk

Advanced search

To ask for vacuum recommendations

(27 Posts)
MaximaDeWit Wed 11-Oct-17 13:12:46

We’ve been using a Dyson V6 Animal but I’ve been deeply unimpressed with it - battery life is crap, suction is rubbish, hate having to use my hands to clear out the bin. I love how handy and compact it is and if I could I’d keep it as a secondary hoover but I just don’t have the space.

I need to replace it with a new one and have no idea where to start. I think I want a MIele as it’s what I’ve always used but I’m sure there’s lots out there that are as good or better.

For context we have a 2 bed cottage - on a busy road so v dusty, cobwebby, lots of nooks and crannies. Stairs straight off front door so they need cleaning a few times a week - this was always where the Dyson came into its own! We have a toddler so am constantly hoovering up spills and crumbs.

Please throw some hoover recommendations my way!

HoHoN0 Wed 11-Oct-17 13:23:21

We used to have the Dyson animal - with 2 golden retrievers. We had the same problem with battery life etc. We also found the turbo head kept getting tangled, and the muck getting stuck in the dust section and needing poked out. We switched to the Miele C3 Cat and dog and it has been great. It has a very long cord and bags which hold a huge amount. It also comes with a turbo head a multi-floor head and a hard floor head. Also so much cheaper than the Dyson. And, most importantly, it picks up all the fur even from the carpets and rugs. smile

Missymoo99 Wed 11-Oct-17 13:38:26

We have just bought a shark lift away
https://m.johnlewis.com/shark-nv680ukt-powered-lift-away-true-pet-vacuum-cleaner/p2345164?refreshcachedbasket=true&sku=235194655&skwcid=2dx92700024455756186&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI94-2gMro1gIVExQbCh12BAMBEAQYASABEgJVvvDD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds we read the reviews and thought we would go for it and it is amazing!! Had a Miele cat and dog, but it had stopped picking up and was fed up with having to buy bags.

Domino20 Wed 11-Oct-17 13:42:04

Henry. I love it. Great suction (3 pets here) and I much prefer having a bag. Bagless are a huge pain in comparison.

safariboot Wed 11-Oct-17 13:43:45

As cordless vacuums go, the Dyson V6 is one of the best and has the advantage of being much lighter than just about any corded vacuum. But a good corded vacuum will clean better and won't run out of battery or bin space after ten minutes.

I'd say keep the V6 even if it's just for cleaning the car. I can't imagine how you can't find space for it.

BaffledMummy Wed 11-Oct-17 13:44:06

cant see past my Miele cat and dog

BadTasteFlump Wed 11-Oct-17 13:47:45

Recently bought a Henry and the suction is amazing - it was so good it was moving big heavy rugs around, even on it's lowest setting, so I've had to buy one of those turbo airbrush heads so it's easier to use.

winterwinter Wed 11-Oct-17 13:53:59

We got a shark lift away on a finance deal, costs us £30 a month for 6 months I believe. I couldn’t live without it now it is AMAZING

winterwinter Wed 11-Oct-17 13:54:41

In my opinions you will never get as good suction on the cordless ones

PickAChew Wed 11-Oct-17 13:55:33

I agree that the handhelds aren't all that. I don't use mine for much more than dusting lampshades.

Love my Sebo X4, though.

Gammeldragz Wed 11-Oct-17 13:56:33

Miele cat and dog. I also have to use the turbo head or it sucks itself to the floor! Good attachments, I can clean almost anything! Got it half price last month in Argos.

talulahbeige Wed 11-Oct-17 14:05:32

Another vote for a Miele cat and dog, love it

Namechangetempissue Wed 11-Oct-17 14:09:32

The dyson is just shit isn't it? I've got one for my office and was so disappointed.
Nothing beats my Henry. Had him for years, never broken down and still has an almighty suck 😆. Bloody cumbersome but the best.

Orangebird69 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:17:35

Miele cat and dog C3 here. I gave my mum my old one (which is still going strong) and bought a new one. Mum had now bought another as a 'spare' as she loves it so much. She has 2 dogs, 2 cars and my ds wrecking the place at least 2 days a week. I might buy a Shark to see what all the fuss is about but I'll never move away from miele.

MaximaDeWit Wed 11-Oct-17 14:21:20

I’ve just been doing some Which? research and the Miele C3 is on my shortlist.

We don’t have pets so I’m not sure the Cat & Dog ones are actually worth getting - are they better at sucking up all round or do they generally have attachments for pet hair?

I thought about a Henry but aren’t they massive? We have a small understairs cupboard where the vacuum needs to live and I worry it would take up too much room.

I have given up on the idea of cordless or bagless because the V6 put me off both - are there any worth considering?!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 11-Oct-17 14:24:50

I have two Miele cylinders,one for each floor and a Dyson cordless for quick whizz rounds. You have to empty every time you hoover so you don't need to scoop out the dust and the filter needs washing religiously or you'll lose suction. You can buy replacements too for about £7 if yours is really clogged up.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 11-Oct-17 14:26:04

Henrys are such hard work ime, I've used a neighbour's and was very underwhelmed.

Orangebird69 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:26:15

The C3 comes with 2 heads. One turbo brush head and a hard floor head - I've neve used the hard floor head, just the turbo. I like the rotating brush for fluffy up the rugs and carpets. It has 3 on board tools roo, adjustable suction and retractable bristles. It does everything basically. You don't need pets to justify one. It's just extra good if you do!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 11-Oct-17 14:28:19

ao.com/product/cc3p-miele-complete-c3-powerline-cylinder-vacuum-cleaner-black-37791-59.aspx?&WT.z_PT=SDA&WT.z_AT=Cylinder%20Vacuum%20cleaner&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_RTM=PLA&WT.z_MAT=Miele&WT.z_FT=Free%20Standing&WT.z_DT=m&WT.z_PC=CC3P_BK&WT.srch=1&WT.z_CN=Miele%20-%20CC3P_BK&WT.z_AG=Item%20ID%20Brand&WT.z_KW=cc3p_bk&gclid=CjwKCAjwgvfOBRB7EiwAeP7ehmGbaJpbvhEVvZMGcaueM-5Ad1tBw67sE9feaEB4nvbYeZQFdy50kxoCPAoQAvD_BwE

Cheap!

MaximaDeWit Wed 11-Oct-17 15:08:34

Thanks DameDiazepam! I was pretty good with emptying and washing the filter out but I have long hair which seemed to clog up the bin and I hate having to wait 24 hours for the filter to dry out. I was also getting static shocks when I used the machine and the engineer that came out told me it was normal and it was because the Dyson was picking up too much dust which was causing a static build up. My house isn’t spotless but it’s really not like I’m wading through piles of dust. It happened while I was hoovering crumbs up off the worktop in the kitchen. He also said I shouldn’t be using it over floorboards as there is usually too much dust in the gaps and I’ll get more static shocks. I don’t doubt that it works brilliantly for some people, just not for me.

I couldn’t see anything on that AO link but presume it was to a C3 PowerLine from the URL? I now just have to wade through all the types of C3s to find the right one!

4yoniD Wed 11-Oct-17 15:45:59

I also have, and love, a shark lift away smile

Lovemusic33 Wed 11-Oct-17 15:49:30

Sold my dyson and bought a Hetty (Henry) and it's the best vacuum I have ever had smile, the only down side is it not being hatless but I can live with that as it has amazing suction.

BadTasteFlump Wed 11-Oct-17 16:04:01

Love my Henry doesn't wear a hat either grin

Lovemusic33 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:24:10

Oops 'bagless' got to love auto correct 😂

IJustLostTheGame Wed 11-Oct-17 16:34:56

I have a sebo.
It's brilliant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: