Talk

Advanced search

To ask how do I stop spiders crawling over my face?

(57 Posts)
Lovelifebethankful Wed 11-Oct-17 10:51:30

I woke last night to feel something crawling on my face. I grabbed it and threw it, I actually heard it make a noise as is it hit the wall so I knew it must be big. I turned the light on to find a huge spider half dead on the floor, it was huge 😭😭

Since spider season has been about I've had loads of these huge spiders in my room and last night was the last straw. I'm petrified of them and this is the first year I've had such a problem in the house

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some ideas as to how I can keep them out of my bedroom atleast!!

CoteDAzur Wed 11-Oct-17 10:55:14

Have a good sweep. Clean under your bed, behind your bed, all corners etc.

Then kill them where you see them.

If a spider big enough to make a sound when it hits the wall walked on my face in my sleep, I would —die— have to move shock

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Wed 11-Oct-17 10:56:08

Burn the house down.

loveisasecondhandemotion Wed 11-Oct-17 10:56:13

Lemon smells! They hate it, anything citrus.

I am petrified of 🕷

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Wed 11-Oct-17 10:56:58

Seriously though, I have HEARD that spiders don't like peppermint or conkers. I have no sound evidence of this myself, though I did once put a row of polos out and no spiders came in my room that day.

RaeCJ82 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:57:17

Get a cat. Mine are my little spider bodyguards!

PickettBowtruckles Wed 11-Oct-17 10:57:43

:D

Dustysparrow Wed 11-Oct-17 10:59:15

NO NO NOOO!!! Just no!

This thread is giving me the horrors!!

Apparently spiders hate conkers...how true this is I don't know. Are there any pets that are predatory and eat big spiders for lunch??? Pet magpie?????

Shudders....!

Dustysparrow Wed 11-Oct-17 11:00:01

Ooh yes, get a cat, a right feisty one!!

Lovelifebethankful Wed 11-Oct-17 11:02:55

I would have taken a pic of it to show you the size but I was crying and my DH picked it up and lobbed it out of the window 😰

I can't get the thought of that feeling of crawling on my face, knowing that it was on me 😭

So with citrus, peppermint, conkers etc do I just spray randomly round the room??

DJBaggySmalls Wed 11-Oct-17 11:03:20

They hate the smell of clove oil, I put a dab on each leg of the bed, and some on cotton balls.

Branleuse Wed 11-Oct-17 11:03:39

I dont think its something that is going to keep happening. They dont go out of their way to be close to humans, and those massive ones look all big and alarming, but they are pretty much the least likely to bite anyone out of any spider or bug. Theyre very docile. Try not to freak out about it. Sometimes insects and bugs just land on you or walk onto you by accident

Lovelifebethankful Wed 11-Oct-17 11:03:55

I've got two cats but they are banned from the bedroom because the scratch our leather bed. Probably explains why I never find any spiders downstairs 🤔

cushioncovers Wed 11-Oct-17 11:11:54

I bought peppermint oil from amazon costs less than £2 and I put a drop either side of my pillow every night. They also hate eucalyptus

DeadEnders Wed 11-Oct-17 11:12:50

Apparently chestnut oil is good.

You can buy it online in sprays I think.

Try spraying that around the edges, corners, window frames etc?

Shoxfordian Wed 11-Oct-17 11:14:36

Get an anti spider plug in device; I bought one ages ago and now I never get spiders in the house

user1494849703 Wed 11-Oct-17 11:14:45

I bought a high quality flea spray for the home from the vets when I was paranoid my moggy had fleas(he didn't). I sprayed it on all floors in the house as directed and all giant spiders died last summer. Did it again this year and same thing happened. Great stuff!!!!! Oh and my cat usually eats crawlies but not the giant I news running amock at the moment.

LeavesinAutumn Wed 11-Oct-17 11:19:24

Spiders do not hate these smells smile

They are coming in to find a mate, these smells are masking her scent, thats what your doing by spraying this stuff, or putting conkers out.

LeavesinAutumn Wed 11-Oct-17 11:20:06

user what do you mean all giant spiders died, you mean you found loads dead?

steppemum Wed 11-Oct-17 11:25:48

conkers is a myth.

A good clean, seep under bed, behind cupboards etc, hoover whereever possible.

BankRobber Wed 11-Oct-17 11:29:25

I wouldn't burn the house down, a woman in Kansas got done for arson for setting fire to a house because of a spider and there was a case in Wales as well

WashBasketsAreUs Wed 11-Oct-17 11:31:38

I put conkers in all the windows and I very rarely get any in. However if I do it doesn't bother me too much, I just squash them and throw them out. I am the "go to" girl if someone needs to get rid of spiders. And before anyone says you shouldn't kill spiders, I know.

Iris65 Wed 11-Oct-17 11:32:34

A man in Seattle burnt his house down using spray paint to kill a spider:

time.com/2991835/man-tries-to-kill-a-spider-and-ends-up-burning-his-house-down/

Branleuse Wed 11-Oct-17 11:35:15

its such a damn shame. People can have phobias about all sorts of things, but you dont hear of people with bird phobias killing them, or dog phobics killing dogs. Spiders are a vital part of our ecosystem. There are much better ways of dealing with your fears. Find out about the creatures. Try and desensitise yourself. You dont need to kill them

kaytee87 Wed 11-Oct-17 11:36:50

Oh god why did I read this sad

They don't like peppermint apparently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now