Talk

Advanced search

... A bit upset to be referred to, by a 3rd party, as 'huge'?

(553 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Wed 11-Oct-17 10:21:32

Just this....

Someone referred to me as this... You'll recognise her.. She's the huge girl...

Apart from rudeness... At what size does someone become 'huge'.. I appreciate it's all relative etc etx...

PS I'm an (in proportion) size 18-20 and 5 foot 8. So to me tallish and curvy...

IamtheDevilsAvocado Wed 11-Oct-17 10:22:04

.. Although could so with losing a couple of stone!

splendide Wed 11-Oct-17 10:22:37

YANBU to be upset, that's very rude.

Were they a small child?

Butterymuffin Wed 11-Oct-17 10:23:19

It is rude. How did you find out about it?

allthgoodusernamesaretaken Wed 11-Oct-17 10:24:10

Huge? Yes, that's rude and hurtful

Nicpem1982 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:25:06

How rude

Whenwillitstop1 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:25:24

YAnbu for being upset, huge is a very rude way to describe someone. But whilst I would say that 5"8 is tallish, I probably wouldn't describe someone at a size 18-20 as curvy.

2014newme Wed 11-Oct-17 10:27:52

I'd just lose the couple stone then tbh if it bothers you. You think you're curvy you but your dress size suggests that you are on the large size. It was rude of them to call you huge though. Not kind. Realistically though it sounds like you've gone past curvy quite a while ago and perhaps not realised

plantsitter Wed 11-Oct-17 10:27:53

It was fucking rude. I'd be hurt.

Try to reframe the comment though. I'm much fatter and shorter than you so I'm not being mean - you are tall and you take up room. You are striking. People notice you. Why the fuck shouldn't you exist? You are GREAT. You don't have to take up less room to be acceptable

<Waits for the poster to come along and spout 3rd party is worried 'for your health's bollocks>

sailorcherries Wed 11-Oct-17 10:28:02

Yanbu to be upset, however I also wouldn't describe being 5ft 8 and a size 18-20 as in proportion.
I'm 5ft 6.5 and a size 14-16 and definitely not in proportion. My sister is 5ft 11 and at a size 20 she was not in proportion. Neither of us were curvy either, but do have biggish boobs.

Nicpem1982 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:29:09

There are so many different ways to choose to describe some one with out being insulting for example hair colour, item of clothing etc huge is just plain insulting

Pickleypickles Wed 11-Oct-17 10:31:45

She was very rude and thoughtless but maybe she meant huge because you are tall as well rather than just your size (which isnt huge).
People should never make comments about appearance "too" anything though.

Dextersilver Wed 11-Oct-17 10:32:04

It's was rude. However maybe this could be a wake up call. You see yourself as curvy, other people see you as huge. Sometimes we don't realise when we look in the mirror we get used to what we see.

I wouldn't describe someone by there size though. It is very hurtful.

RaininSummer Wed 11-Oct-17 10:32:27

It was rude and not nice but it must be how they see you. Sometimes we need a wake up call to do something about our weight though it is very hard and impossible for some.

Ttbb Wed 11-Oct-17 10:32:43

That's rude. Very rude. To answer your second question, someone becomes 'huge' when they are noticeably bigger than the average person.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 11-Oct-17 10:33:55

I would assume she meant tall and a generous size. But mostly tall (as I’m really short).

They're a dickhead OP!

Someone said to me last week "oh she's out on loads of weight, seriously she's fucking enormous Lego, I think she's even bigger then you!!!"

Wow...thanks for that insight...cunt

toolonglurking Wed 11-Oct-17 10:35:52

I'm the same size and height as you and I'd be really hurt if someone described me as 'huge', to me huge would be the sort of person who needs a wall knocked down to get out of their house.
That said, I'm currently pregnant and once I've had the baby I'm going to make a real effort to lose at least two stone so I can be 'curvy' rather than whatever it is I am now.

PandorasXbox Wed 11-Oct-17 10:38:49

That’s horrible! Did you hear it?

LineysRun Wed 11-Oct-17 10:41:40

How did you hear of it?

Because if another adult passed that on to you, they're a bit of a twat really.

amusedbush Wed 11-Oct-17 10:41:47

someone said to me last week "oh she's out on loads of weight, seriously she's fucking enormous Lego, I think she's even bigger then you!!!"

My ex-flatmate said to me, "I couldn't get over how much weight she's put on, she must be about your size now".

Fucking cow.

user1471459936 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:42:04

It was rude to calm you that - how do you know they said it? Unfortunately, size 18 - 20 is huge to a lot of people.

user1471517900 Wed 11-Oct-17 10:42:21

"you are tall and you take up room. You are striking. People notice you. Why the fuck shouldn't you exist? You are GREAT."

How patronising that is. Obviously the size you are doesn't affect you as a person, but I always find this sort of disingenuous comment rather grating.

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Wed 11-Oct-17 10:42:43

Having been where you are OP, you cant kid a kidder, size 20 at 5 foot 8 is clinically obese.

People arent always polite but we use physical descriptors to differentiate between people; the tall one, the short one, the blonde one, the dark one, and as we all know, the fat one. We can deny it and pretend we are big boned, or curvy but in reality we are fat.

PandorasXbox Wed 11-Oct-17 10:45:06

Huge is nasty though Sloe, they could have said the large lady which is still bad but kinder than fucking huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now