Talk

Advanced search

Claiming funding for looking after my son

(289 Posts)
RandomAccessMemory Wed 11-Oct-17 08:08:56

I'm a Childminder in Essex and as well as looking after other parent's children I also look after my own son, my son turned three a week ago and I was looking forward to being able to claim free entitlement funding for him from the spring term.

However I have just discovered that because I'm looking after my own son the local authority will not allow me to claim the funding for him, they say that there is a blanket ban on childminders claiming funding for children whom they are related to.

I don't want to send him to another childminder so should I kick up a fuss? I don't see why I should miss out just because I happen to be looking after him.

fuzzyfozzy Wed 11-Oct-17 08:11:37

It's not just your county, they all have the same rule I think.

PotteringAlong Wed 11-Oct-17 08:12:15

So should sahp's be able to claim a wage? Either send him to nursery and then take on another mindee or look after him, but don't be cross they've closed the loophole.

Sirzy Wed 11-Oct-17 08:12:40

You want to be paid to look after your own child?hmm

SaucyJack Wed 11-Oct-17 08:13:30

You wot?

UrsulaPandress Wed 11-Oct-17 08:13:45

Hmmmm. Not sure. If I chose not to send my child to nursery I wouldn't expect to be paid to look after him. But, you are working and I suppose you could earn more by having another child take the place your son is using.

<gets splinters in arse>

RandomAccessMemory Wed 11-Oct-17 08:13:55

So should sahp's be able to claim a wage?

How am I a SAHP? I'm a childminder who also looks after my son.

toolonglurking Wed 11-Oct-17 08:14:20

I'm a sahp, I'd love to be paid to look after my own children, but I realise that's ridiculous. You should too.

Iris65 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:14:53

I happen to be looking after him.

You are his mother. You don't 'happen to be looking after him.'!

The fund is designed to help pay for childcare. Your son doesn't need care!

toolonglurking Wed 11-Oct-17 08:15:26

The fact is that you don't need financial help to look after him, so you don't get financial help.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Wed 11-Oct-17 08:15:37

Why on earth should you be paid to look after your own son?

Iris65 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:17:13

He doesn't need care because he is at home with his mother.
If you want to claim, send him to another childminder who will benefit from the fund as you do.

LIZS Wed 11-Oct-17 08:17:59

But you are no worse off than if the funding paid for someone less to look after him.

RandomAccessMemory Wed 11-Oct-17 08:18:17

The fund is designed to help pay for childcare. Your son doesn't need care!

Quite clearly he does, he can't fend for himself.

If I sent him to another childminder or a nursery then they'd get funding for him so why can't I?

Patapouf Wed 11-Oct-17 08:20:48

Kicking up a fuss won't change the rules, I'm gobsmacked you thought you could be paid to childmind your own child??!

Every SAHM would claim funding otherwise 😅

FluffyMcCloud Wed 11-Oct-17 08:21:39

I get it. If OP sends him to free childcare, she has a spare place to take on someone else's child and be paid for it. So it makes more financial sense for her to send her own child to someone else to be looked after and be paid to look after a different kid.

Invisimamma Wed 11-Oct-17 08:22:48

You can't get paid for looking after your own child! That's called parenting.

Madness.

pasturesgreen Wed 11-Oct-17 08:22:54

Err...you're joking, aren't you? It's your own child you're talking about here confused

FrancisCrawford Wed 11-Oct-17 08:23:00

He doesn’t need care because his mother is looking after him

The fact she also looks after other children is irrelevant

RacingRaccoons Wed 11-Oct-17 08:24:32

hmm

pestov Wed 11-Oct-17 08:24:47

You may not agree with or understand the rules, but they are not going to change. Your options are
Do nothing
Send your DS to another provider for his hours, enjoy the peace!
Send your DS to another provider for his hours, taking another mindee in his place, enjoy the cash!

Fattymcfaterson Wed 11-Oct-17 08:24:57

Just because you are a childminder. Doesn't mean you should get PAID to look after your OWN CHILD.
Can you not see why that's the rule?! Really??

Iris65 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:26:07

OP, If you read my post you can see that I said he doesn't need care because he is at home with his mother.

It strikes me that you were deliberately obtuse. Let's put it another way:

You are his mother. You cannot claim for looking for after him.

Fattymcfaterson Wed 11-Oct-17 08:26:45

I have a friend with 3 small children... With your idea she could technically become a childminder and just get paid to look after her own kids....🤔

ThatsNotMyUnicorn Wed 11-Oct-17 08:26:58

Is this a joke? Of course you can't claim the hours to look after your own child-you've chosen to keep him with you, if you're that bothered about 'missing out' maybe apply for the funding and use it for him to attend a nursery.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: