Talk

Advanced search

What does this mean? MIL Question

(85 Posts)
ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Wed 11-Oct-17 05:40:00

So my MIL is visiting from a foreign country and she was telling me about her jewellery.

MIL: "Do you wear earrings?"

Me: "No, I don't wear them."

MIL: "My sister also does not wear earrings. She says she doesn't like earrings because the pigs in the province have ears that are tied like earrings."

Was she taking a dig at my weight, like my friends say? Or is this a harmless comment?

Lagerthaisfabulous Wed 11-Oct-17 05:42:36

She told you why her sister doesnt wear earrings.

You dont wear earrings so its not a dig at you. It could be read as a dig at you if yiu wore earrings. But even then it would be a stretch.

Chottie Wed 11-Oct-17 05:45:17

She's just making conversation, ignore. I did not know that pigs have their ears tied back either.....

You could have just told her why you don't wear earrings....

OldGuard Wed 11-Oct-17 05:46:26

No it’s not a dig
More likely a woman trying to make conversation and establish a bond with you by sharing things about her family

Penhacked Wed 11-Oct-17 05:51:00

Def what Old guard said, trying to say you are right not to if anything, like saying having a nose ring is weird because it reminds you of a bull.

Tilapia Wed 11-Oct-17 05:53:25

I don't think this is a dig about your weight.

TakeMe2Insanity Wed 11-Oct-17 05:54:30

She is talking about her sister.

pigeondujour Wed 11-Oct-17 05:55:24

100% not. Are your friends trying to make you feel insecure?!

Scoobydoobydont Wed 11-Oct-17 05:56:24

How could that be interpreted as a dig at your weight?

KC225 Wed 11-Oct-17 05:58:02

No not a dig. And I say this as a woman with a foreign MIL who speaks a different language but manages to to be offensive and then say - oh did I say the wrong thing?

I would have taken that comment on face value, an anecdote about her family if anything. I would have also said why I didn't wear earrings.

EasterRobin Wed 11-Oct-17 06:04:32

You know what she is describing right? (Google "pig ear tags" if not).

She is being pleasant and making humorous conversation by saying her sister thinks earrings look like animal ear tags.

BertrandRussell Wed 11-Oct-17 06:09:25

Get different friends. The ones you've got are shit stirring.

Lazy2Hazy Wed 11-Oct-17 06:09:50

MIL is only making conversation

pictish Wed 11-Oct-17 06:17:10

She's just talking. It's not a dig.

Dextersilver Wed 11-Oct-17 06:17:50

It's called making conversation!

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Wed 11-Oct-17 06:19:50

Yeah thought it was harmless too but my friend who was present thought it was degrading.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 11-Oct-17 06:20:24

I agree, it was fine.

UnicornRainbowColours Wed 11-Oct-17 06:22:38

Maybe she wanted to buy you some as a gift.?

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Wed 11-Oct-17 06:22:58

Ok, how about this?

When she found out her son brings leftovers for work lunches, she said,

"I pity son's name, he's like a garbage bag".

Could be a joke too right?

By the way, she does not eat leftovers.

Lagerthaisfabulous Wed 11-Oct-17 06:23:50

Does your friend wear earrings?

At a push it could be seen as though your mils sister has said it as a dig to mil or people who wear earrings. Her saying her sister has said it is not a dig. Especially not at you because you dont wear earrings.

How could your friend possible think it was, when you dont wear them? Was your friend there?

YouOKHun Wed 11-Oct-17 06:24:44

I don’t like the sound of your friends OP. Sounds like they’re the ones having a dig at your weight. Your MIL sounds innocent from what you’ve said.

NotSureIfiAmWell Wed 11-Oct-17 06:25:42

OP - are you trying to find a reason to ve offended by her and can then be "justified" in your dislike for her?

Lagerthaisfabulous Wed 11-Oct-17 06:26:00

Some people do look down om leftovers. I know a few at work.

But her son chooses to eat them (as do i).

Is this your friends saying she is makimg digs?

Because it sounds like its actually you that thinks it and there is going to be a slow drip feed of things she has said until someone agrees with you.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Wed 11-Oct-17 06:26:10

NotSureIfiAmWell

No. I like her.

Blackcatonthesofa Wed 11-Oct-17 06:27:43

As a foreigner I find tthat English people are easier offended than other foreigners. Somehow you can read more into the language and be offended while we will never have that kind of grasp for it. I have seen it on here as well. People ask for advice, I give it and then get a hard time bevause I didn't say it right. Give her a chance. If she doesn't mean well you will know by her actions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now