Talk

Advanced search

To buy from a breeder?

(14 Posts)
Amolyt Tue 10-Oct-17 23:34:53

Hello smile this is my first AIBU post, so don't be too nasty!

I'm looking to buy a ferret. I have done absolutely lots of research and I'm happy with my decision.

However, my first stop was to look at rescues. Most ferrets listed seemed to come with behavioural problems, etc. and I know that isn't their fault and it is very sad, but as my first ferret, it probably isn't a good idea. Even the rescue says that an experienced owner would be more suitable.

The next thought was pet shops and that was a big no... I believe their breeding has to be the worst, right?

There is a breeder that is very good. Has been breeding for 20 years. I am just wondering if it's really bad to buy from a breeder? sad

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Tue 10-Oct-17 23:37:38

It's the best way to get a pet, surely? If they're a good breeder, good history etc. What other option would be better?

BananasAreGood Tue 10-Oct-17 23:41:06

For small animals a breeder often is the best option. It's not like cats and dogs where shelters are just stuffed full of them, and small animal breeders tend to be much more small scale than some dog breeders.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 10-Oct-17 23:51:38

No its not at all bad to buy from a good breeder. Breeders keep the breeds, types and strains going form one generation to the next.
Without dog breeders we would just get 'a dog'. For those of us who want a specific size or type with known behavior patterns, thats ridiculous.

Ignore the hype and do whats best for you. you want a nice, well handled, well reared pet.

Queenofthedrivensnow Tue 10-Oct-17 23:53:09

I'm
Jealous I love ferrets

Orangebird69 Wed 11-Oct-17 00:01:53

We had ferrets. Wonderful animals. I don't think getting them from a breeder is necessary but getting them from young is. Lots of handling, the right diet and indoor time makes them lovely sociable pets. My dad did 'work' ours but they were still incredibly tame, friendly, non bitey creatures. They smell weird though. A mix of honey and beeswax which wasn't entirely pleasant...

Birdsgottafly Wed 11-Oct-17 00:22:29

I think in these circumstances it is fine.

Do think about how much time you will have over the course of the animals whole lifetime and whether you need to consider getting two.

Eifla Wed 11-Oct-17 00:42:40

I would only ever purchase a pet, regardless of type, from a breeder.

NearLifeExperience Wed 11-Oct-17 00:53:40

Another MN pariah here who bought a dog from a breeder!

It certainly sounds as if a breeder is the best option for you, OP, all things considered. As it was for us with a dog.

Agree with Baggy about breeders keeping actual, you know, breeds alive, too. Often, predictable characteristics and traits are essential.

arousingcheer Wed 11-Oct-17 01:03:21

Many animals in rescue have come from a breeder. It isn't a guarantee of a better temperament or better grade of animal or whatever.

MattMurdock Wed 11-Oct-17 01:17:21

Can't help with ferrets but I would agree that taking on an animal with behavioural issues as your 1st try is not a good way to go.

tealandteal Wed 11-Oct-17 06:59:02

If you want to raise from a kit a breeder is the way to go, but then you will need to teach it not to bite. Ferrets are social animals so you cannot have just one so need to consider male/female. If you got a pair from a rescue they should already be neutered and could be trained already. There are pros and cons to both, but there is something about bringing home the tiny ferrets and watching them grow. Please make sure you find a decent vet who knows about ferrets, we took our hob in to be neutered, some months later both jills produced a litter and there were 22 babies wriggling around. Poor thing had to be neutered again with a different vet!

19lottie82 Wed 11-Oct-17 07:12:36

As long as it's a reputable breeder then yes, but not a random off gumtree that claims to be one.

Greyhorses Wed 11-Oct-17 07:36:32

I've always had rescues but now I will always go to the best breeder I can find that will give me the best chance of finding what fits with my family.

Don't feel guilty, pets are supposed to be enjoyable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now