Talk

Advanced search

AIBU in asking for some sympathy

(13 Posts)
Mollypolly2610 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:06:27

I hate to feel like a stupid old woman but at 61 sometimes I do. We recently moved house so I am not used to the steps on the decking outside. Went out in the dark to put a load of recycling out and used my phone flashlight till the security light flashed on. The security light doesn’t cover the back of the house only the side. Then my stupid phone flashlight wouldn’t work as I walked back. Fell over a step and fell on my arse on the wet decking and lay there and cried! My DH came running out but I was so sore he couldn’t lift me up. It’s funny now but I have a skint knee and a sore hip! And it made me feel old.

NumbersLetters Tue 10-Oct-17 22:08:50

Falling is horrible. You have my utmost sympathy. I tripped and fell flat on my face on the pavement the other day. Shook me up emotionally and physically for hours. wine

ssd Tue 10-Oct-17 22:09:23

thanks

the alternatives worse

FreudianSlurp Tue 10-Oct-17 22:10:57

You're not old, you're just differently young. Hope you recover quickly. flowers

theymademejoin Tue 10-Oct-17 22:12:40

You're not old until you say you had a fall rather than you fell😁

Hope you're feeling better

AnneBiscuit Tue 10-Oct-17 22:17:33

Anyone call fall in unfamiliar surroundings in the dark. Give it a while to get used to where everything is and in no time at all you'll be out there moving around like a ninja.

woollyminded Tue 10-Oct-17 22:18:35

You have all my sympathy. Slipping and falling is the bloody pits, I hate it, makes you feel all fragile and stupid. I do it quite a lot, would've thought I'd be more careful/used to it! Last year I woke up in the night for a hot flush and a piss, stumbled around like a tit, broke my toe on the bed post and had to wear a strap on boot for a month. Had a little cry every day.

NashvilleQueen Tue 10-Oct-17 22:21:10

As an adult I think falling can really unsettle you for a while. I am 45 and it happened to me a bit ago outside a shop. I was totally fine but grazed my hands when I put them out and I felt shaken by the experience. It can also make you a bit emotional. Glad you ate ok OP.

NashvilleQueen Tue 10-Oct-17 22:21:24

*are hmm

Bahhhhhumbug Tue 10-Oct-17 22:31:15

I'm 59 and l am terrified of falling these days. Result is l teeter down slopes or on any wet or shiny surface all tense and stiff and slowly like fecking Bambi which diversely makes you much more likely to fall. Never used to cross my mind but now if l do fall l seem to fall much more awkwardly than if l was relaxed. But as someone said up thread growing old beats the alternative !

Mollypolly2610 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:34:29

I think the fright makes you feel worse. Still keep crying a bit and my body is aching. Will feel better tomorrow! Thanks for the sympathy, didn’t get much from my DH!

Bahhhhhumbug Tue 10-Oct-17 22:35:22

conversely not diversely

Maelstrop Tue 10-Oct-17 22:37:16

Frightens the crap out of me, falling and I'm a lot younger than you. I couldn't get up for the pain/shock last time I fell over. It's horrible. Get rid of the decking, it's sodding lethal stuff. Falling on your arse is possibly the best option as long as it wasn't nearer the coccyx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now