Talk

Advanced search

Small flies in house, me vs housemate aibu?

(11 Posts)
housewarshalp Tue 10-Oct-17 20:07:37

I live with my friends in a house in London. We have different views about this:

If it was hot I would open the window with the lights OFF, or keep the window shut and put a fan on (v good fan, isn’t just blowing hot air about) due to flies coming in.

One of my housemates would rather just open all the windows with all the lights on from like 4pm -10pm, which only annoys me as 100s of little black flies / green flies / moths / long leg flies etc come in. Literally 100s as our kitchen has 5 of those long bar lights and the flies are drawn to it 😩 the lights will be covered in bugs and I find it vile. The windows are massive too, it’s just a bug magnet

The flies are just all over the house now. every hour I see a new small black fly in my room and it disgusts me. I keep my bedroom immaculate, no food/bad odours, the window SHUT but they come into my room as they’re already in the house.....they are attracted to my room as I have cool lighting while everyone else has warm lighting in their rooms. Just feel like I live in dirty surroundings.

I have spoken to her about this but she isn’t bothered by bugs at all where I’m the opposite. I work full time and have uni, she only goes to uni so she says I don’t know how hot it gets as I’m barely in.

Who’s being U?

Worriedrose Tue 10-Oct-17 20:10:04

It's October... I wore a scarf today

So yabu because I just don't understand how this is problem in London at the moment.

Anecdoche Tue 10-Oct-17 20:12:31

both of you.

get those net screens with the velcro fasteners so you can have windows open without flies getting in.

RestingBitchFaced Tue 10-Oct-17 20:12:35

She is BU! Get those fly nets for windows?

MinervaSaidThar Tue 10-Oct-17 20:12:55

She is BU.

I too know how many insects are attracted to lights.

Get a bug spray, sweep them all up and spread them on her pillow.

housewarshalp Tue 10-Oct-17 21:46:33

It’s a problem in October because there’s built up frustration on my part from living with this over the past 2 years, especially through summer. It didn’t just start in October.

Having said that the windows still get opened now as she likes the breeze and to air out odours from the kitchen/bathroom. I wouldn’t be annoyed if there wasn’t STILL flies everywhere.

Not nice trying to eat or chill in peace and constantly have flies😷

maggiecate Tue 10-Oct-17 21:59:38

To be honest I can sort of see both sides because London does get unspeakably hot in the summer so I can see why she'd want to get the air circulating and it does make sense to air the place out to stop smells and damp etc but also the bugs are bleugh. Flypaper, a fly zapper, mesh screens sound like your best compromise. Either that or invite a family of spiders to take up residence and they'll deal with them!!

Haint Tue 10-Oct-17 22:04:27

I don’t think insects are inherently unhygienic. Some are yes but your general everyday thunderbug or greenfly is vegetarian surely?

Could you invite some spiders in? They’ll catch the flies for you

Worriedrose Tue 10-Oct-17 23:08:29

I'm sorry I still don't get it!
I've had my windows open all day and night in the summer and I really don't get that many flies.
Small fruit flies are house flies, have you looks to see if there are any food stuffs especially bananas out that will attract them.

Also find it odd they make it to your bedroom.
Are you sure you don't have some fixation

Anyway, get some mesh
Get some fly paper etc etc
Keep all fruit in the fridge, no food/wine left out unopened

BlackeyedSusan Wed 11-Oct-17 07:05:29

get a bead curtain for your bedroom door, and fly screens for your windows.

Newtssuitcase Wed 11-Oct-17 07:10:19

I'm in the midlands and we still have loads of flies around. They don't all disappear in October. I work from home a lot and generally have all of the doors and windows open. Yesterday I had a couple of large bluebottles flying around, a large wasp, about a million ladybirds and there were three mosquitoes in our bedroom last night.

YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now