Talk

Advanced search

School and broken limbs

(32 Posts)
BeadyEyeBird Tue 10-Oct-17 19:54:52

DS has a broken ankle and is in a cast up to his knee.

School rules are that any child with a cast on has to stay in for all break times/lunchtimes until it is off.

DS will absolutely not cope with that amount of being cooped up for 6 weeks. He is massively active, sporty and spends his breaks running around playing football (which is how he broke it in the first place).

The school will not budge in the slightest. Not even if I write a letter absolving them of any responsibility. Not even if he sits on a bench and reads so he can at least have some fresh air. Obviously he can't and won't run around but I don't see why he can't go outside and sit in the reading corner or on a bench.

AIBU or is this normal? School is citing health and safety as the reason

Pengggwn Tue 10-Oct-17 20:10:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorriedandExhausted Tue 10-Oct-17 20:14:49

I usually find that health and safety is used as a catch all reason

Unfortunately the school probably won't budge, as long as your child is on school premises it is their responsibility.I do not think they will budge

LoveDeathPrizes Tue 10-Oct-17 20:16:06

I imagine it's a liability issue. They won't budge. Altough bench with a book does sound reasonable...

sunnydalegottobedone Tue 10-Oct-17 20:20:53

My DC school won't have them back on site until the bone is almost mended - fear of it getting knocked or then falling over and injuring themselves more.

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Tue 10-Oct-17 20:23:10

My dad was sat on a bench. A. Offer kid crashed into her and she fell, and broke a bone.
Even sitting still, accidents can happen. School are doing the right thing, 6 weeks won't be that long especially with half term coming up. And there's bound to be plenty wet plays coming up too.

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Tue 10-Oct-17 20:23:26

Dd not DAD!

youarenotkiddingme Tue 10-Oct-17 20:27:39

Ask them about the risk assessment. Ask for a copy.

Then you are totally within your right to question why they deem sitting on a bench outside a high risk with no provision to make it low risk but sitting inside low/medium risk with provision to make it low.

They should be able to justify that which may change their minds or help you see their decision.

We don't stop children in casts going outside at break/lunch.

Moreisnnogedag Tue 10-Oct-17 20:30:53

I can see their reasoning unfortunately. Sunny if you're ever in that situation again (hopefully not!) but get your doctor at the hospital to write a letter on your child's behalf.

I've written many a letter pointing out the reasonable adjustments that can be made for children in casts (leaving class early to get to next lesson, no outside play, moving seats etc) that mean that they don't miss an entire six weeks (or more) for a ridiculous rule that is largely done so that the school isn't inconvenienced. Amazingly every school has then let the child continue to get their education.

wheresthel1ght Tue 10-Oct-17 21:39:01

Sorry yabu, their insurance will not cover them for him to be outside. The risk of another child tripping over his cast and either doing further damage to him or to themselves is too high.

He will be fine, half term is coming up and with any luck they can fit a walking boot before too long and they might relax things then.

Be grateful a lot of schools won't allow them in at all if they are in a cast!

TopSecretSquirrel Tue 10-Oct-17 21:51:31

Not sure how old your son is but would he be able to be picked up and have lunch at home on some days so he can get some fresh air and a break from being kept in?

Luckymummy22 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:01:12

That's a tough one. I think they are being a bit unreasonable.
My DD recently had a full cast on her arm. The school were actually quite relaxed about it.
I did complete a risk assessment and let them use their best judgement. I think she was in intitially but there was definitely other times she was out playing - enough to hurt her other arm at one point (just scraped thankfully).
She also was able to take part in PE within reason and sports day (not everything). She also went on a school trip and even went on the bouncy pillows - with a teaching assistant holding her hand.

BeadyEyeBird Tue 10-Oct-17 22:15:19

He’s 10 year 6.

Re insurance, I don’t think secondary school kids have to stay in all day do they? I can’t imagine their insurances would be that different.

Tripping over a cast would be as likely as tripping over a foot surely?!

6isthemagicnumber Tue 10-Oct-17 22:24:58

my DC had a broken arm recently.
also yr 6.
Had to stay in and use the library during play and lunch.
got to choose a friend each playtime, and use the computers etc.....Dc and the other kids seemed to have fun LOL
Better than falling and hurting themselves or another child etc....

Toddlerteaplease Tue 10-Oct-17 22:35:09

Peadiatric nurse on a orthopaedic ward here. He can’t go out due to the risk of other kids running into him etc. I very much doubt that the Doctors would write a letter to support you. He’s at risk the fracture slipping out of position easily unless it’s been internally fixed. And would he actually stay on a bench? I k is I didn’t when I was a kid and broke my ankle.

wheresthel1ght Wed 11-Oct-17 07:08:10

Beady - yes they would. My step daughter broke her ankle over the summer and although she was allowed into school in September she had to leave lessons early, remain in the library during breaks etc. The risk of receiving further damage is too high. Especially if it is broken on or near the growth plates.

Sirzy Wed 11-Oct-17 07:11:01

When I was on crutches at secondary school I had a set point in the School (in my case the library) that I went to every break and dinner time. I left all lessons 10 minutes early to.

Good job I enjoyed reading as I was off my feet for 14 weeks

ThatsNotMyUnicorn Wed 11-Oct-17 07:18:01

It's unfair for your son to be expected to stay inside, fresh air helps children concentrate-often children stuck inside can lead to restless behaviour-for example a wet break usually leads to a really disruptive class, could you use that as part of your argument? Sitting on a bench reading seems like a reasonable request or even taking a game like top trumps to sit on the bench with a friend to play. You should of been involved in writing a risk assessment and signed it to say you agree before your son returned to school with a cast on.

Do you have someone like a grandparent who could go meet your son for lunch so he gets fresh air if the school aren't willing to budge?

Bugsylugs Wed 11-Oct-17 07:18:09

Orthopaedic consultant actively encouraged lo to go out and play only stipulation was no climbing. School let him out in playtime

SuburbanRhonda Wed 11-Oct-17 07:25:36

Why don't you go in and ask them, OP?

It's clear from the replies so far that schools' policies on this differ.

mummymeister Wed 11-Oct-17 07:29:05

if you offered to provide him with a wheelchair - you can hire one for a reasonable price from your local red cross - then couldn't he be wheeled outside? surely they wouldn't be able to say that all kids in wheelchairs aren't allowed outside as that would be discriminatory.

ask what their view is of this and ask to see their policies.

they know your son. they know he is incredibly sporty and wont want to sit still so might be taking a view that he is a greater risk than some other less sporty kids.

Sirzy Wed 11-Oct-17 07:32:08

Who is going to push the wheelchair around? Who is going to make sure it doesn’t become a “game” to push it around.

If someone was a permanent/long term wheelchair user then things would be put in place on an individual basis to allow them to access the school day as best as possible with reasonable adjustment. However things like that take a lot of time and planning (and money!) so for something short term the same amount of adjustment isn’t going to be reasonable or needed.

DressedCrab Wed 11-Oct-17 07:43:19

YABU. It's their call. They are responsible for him.

KimmySchmidt1 Wed 11-Oct-17 07:51:36

Y Abu - in a cast he should be protected from further injury, and they will be liable if he is not - you cannot absolve them of it (not how law works in the case of torts and duties of care). U like no cast and no broken leg, his needs to be protected more and more damage will be done to his than an ordinary foot being tripped over.

I'm afraid your son isn't not going to get the world to revolve around him on this particular occasion.

UrsulaPandress Wed 11-Oct-17 07:54:45

It's six weeks. He'll survive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now