Talk

Advanced search

Job interview

(20 Posts)
user1498912461 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:12:58

I've got a job interview in the next few weeks for a job I really want. I've wanted to work for this company for many years and am excited about the job interview. DH thinks I should ring the company before the interview and ask if I can call in and have a look around, ask them questions, get my face seen etc. I feel v.uncomfortable with this idea and would rather just go to the interview and do my best on the day. Would turning up before the interview look a bit strange or would it show keenness?

theaveragewife Tue 10-Oct-17 18:14:05

Imo definitely strange, kind of like you expect to get the job? Save your questions for the interview.

NickMyLipple Tue 10-Oct-17 18:14:34

I love an informal visit as a candidate and as a recruiter. I would definitely do this if I were you!

StealthPolarBear Tue 10-Oct-17 18:14:51

I think it could be perceived either way and would probably err on the side of caution.
Is there a number for an informal chat? Might be worth calling and saying you'd love to know more, do have specific questions though. If they then invite you-brilliant!

user1498912461 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:15:18

The company is a public building owned by the council. I know the council has a strict points based policy that they use in interviews.

MatildaTheCat Tue 10-Oct-17 18:15:27

Just ask if an informal visit would be convenient. I think it demonstrates great interest and also gives you the opportunity to gain insight into the company and ask more relevant questions at interviews.

It's not weird at all.

StraussN Tue 10-Oct-17 18:18:53

I think it's a smart move.

Being memorable is more important than most people realise.

Allthewaves Tue 10-Oct-17 18:29:21

I work in lab - it's very standard for any applicants who are serious to come and have a look around

CupboardLover Tue 10-Oct-17 18:31:06

It's great to show keenness as others have said. Really helps you to stand out if you really want the role. Good luck! flowers

miniloco Tue 10-Oct-17 18:32:19

I work in the nhs, I thought this was a commonly known way to show interest! Really never thought of it being seen in a negative light.

thinkfast Tue 10-Oct-17 18:33:43

I think it depends on the industry and whether or not that kind of thing is the norm. It would be perceived very oddly in my industry to do that before an interview, but might be appropriate at the end of a good interview or during a second interview.

People often don't want to unsettle the team by showing round loads of candidates

wannabestressfree Tue 10-Oct-17 18:34:37

We encourage it in school. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

theaveragewife Tue 10-Oct-17 18:36:23

Oh wow, how wrong am I? Sorry Opflowers and good luck!

TidyDancer Tue 10-Oct-17 18:39:25

I don’t think this would be encouraged in my current role (NHS) or previous role (district council). There’s quite often not enough staff around for a start, and the showing around etc is done at interview. Nothing wrong with phoning for an informal chat though.

user1471548375 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:43:03

Definitely. The interview process is a two way thing, you're getting them just as much as they're vetting you and an informal visit means you have more time to reflect.

blueshoes Tue 10-Oct-17 19:45:12

It is not the norm in my sector or company. As an interviewer, I might feel a little put upon as I reserve my opinion (and time) until I have at least met and interviewed the candidate and prefer to treat every candidate equally at the first interview.

To be honest, I would not have the time to do this as interviewing is enough of a time suck from my day job to have to do site tours as well.

After the first (and second) interview, the request might work better but it would still be a little strange. I would get the impression that the candidate is on the balance and wanted to see the work environment to make up their mind than very keen.

Ttbb Tue 10-Oct-17 19:51:57

I've never seen anyone do it. At best it would seem annoying to me.

reallyreallyreallytired Tue 10-Oct-17 19:57:56

Very normal in my sector in fact we raise an eyebrow if people have t asked to look round before a interview. (Agricultural college further/higher education)

This would be very, very strange in my sector but we have very tight security in the building and visitors/people interviewing are only allowed on one client friendly floor.

GreenPetal94 Tue 10-Oct-17 20:09:16

The last (external) promotion I got I did telephone to enquire more about the job, but that was pre application. When I came for the interview one of the panel did refer to our conversation and I think it put me ahead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now