Talk

Advanced search

sniffing assistant

(39 Posts)
sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 17:59:04

I am working with a young man with a bad cold who is sniffing and sniffing and sniffing and wiping his nose on his sleeve and hand and OMG I can't cope (I am phobic of snot). I have brought tissues and put them next to him and suggested he uses them, and hinted as much as I can politely.

AIBU to tell him to blow his nose and wash his hands?

HELP

Bambamber Tue 10-Oct-17 18:04:31

YANBU

Scribblegirl Tue 10-Oct-17 18:09:25

I'm on the fence. Usually I think that offices should be the bastion of good and polite behaviour (no smelly food, tinny headphones etc).

But... I have the most dreadful cold at the moment. It's gone to my sinuses and blowing my nose is doing bugger all to help - it briefly opens my nose up and then it squeaks shut again and continues dripping.

In fairness I'm not using my sleeve, have apologised to colleagues and have worked away from my desk as much as possible. But sometimes sniffing really is unavoidable blush

Scribblegirl Tue 10-Oct-17 18:10:43

As you've acknowledged that it is partly du to your snot phobia, is there any way you could work elsewhere until his cold is a little better?

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 18:11:24

I should have said we have a lot of clients visiting so I can't hide/headphones. Arrgggg I know he can't help it. I am U when it comes to sniffing. It makes me wretch. sad

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 18:15:52

so how do I say something without coming across as a bitch? I am his boss and he is a casual member of staff who works really hard and is extremely sweet and kindhearted.

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 18:16:40

scribble - no, he's assisting me. I have asked him to wash up so I have 10 mins respite! I feel bad.

CockacidalManiac Tue 10-Oct-17 18:18:20

YANBU. I hate sniffing.

Ceto Tue 10-Oct-17 18:20:48

YANBU. I hate constant sniffing, and someone using their sleeve to wipe would make me feel ill. Can you just send him home?

Scribblegirl Tue 10-Oct-17 18:21:49

Eek that's so difficult! To be perfectly honest I'd be reacting the same way as you though if I weren't the one with the cold right now blush

StraussN Tue 10-Oct-17 18:22:50

I am phobic of snot

[rolleyesatimmaturity]

Walkingdead11 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:26:14

You know when you sniff you're just taking back in your own snot.....disgusting! Blow your nose or take some pseudoephedrine.....

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 18:28:45

misophonia Strauss - it's a fairly common condition and very hard to cope with.

CockacidalManiac Tue 10-Oct-17 18:29:52

Misophonia is not snot phobia.

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 18:30:38

Just noticed the tab on my computer for this thread says

"sniffing ass"

grin

Ecureuil Tue 10-Oct-17 18:33:23

Misophonia has nothing to do with snot does it??
Sniffing is bloody annoying though.

Walkingdead11 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:33:55

I have misophonia and sniffing is one of my many triggers.....I could kill!

RubMyRhubarb Tue 10-Oct-17 18:35:42

I mistook this post for a job vacancy for a sniffing assistant! I was going to ask what I'd be sniffing! I'm really good at sniffing things!

StraussN Tue 10-Oct-17 18:37:36

I bet it's incredibly hard to cope with. Blennophobia as well as misophonia (did you mean misophobia?)

The Dr who diagnosed you condition needs a little education.

Despite this, help claiming ESA is available on MN. I hope you get what you deserve.

KrayKray00 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:41:23

I had a work colleague who had a cold and brought in a tea towel to blow his nose on because he ran out of tissue 🤢 I gave him a pack of tissues I keep in my handbag and he told me not to worry! He left the snotty thing under the counter and I swear that thing was basically crawling to the washing machine.

MistressDeeCee Tue 10-Oct-17 18:45:00

YANBU. I worked in the food service field a while bac - p/t extra work to make ends meet. & I can't begin to tell you the amount of people who do this and can't be bothered to wash their hands either even tho sink and handwash is RIGHT THERE.

I remember one woman handed a cup of coffee by a staff member - she came to me quietly asked if I would change it, as she'd seen staff member sniff, wipe her nose with her finger, then put lid on the coffee

The problem in this work climate today is too many people dependent on minimum wage jobs can't stay home if they have a cold because shift can be given to someone else. & they need the money

I won't eat anywhere that I can't clearly see the kitchen, and food being prepared

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 18:45:31

Ecureril - you are correct - it's the specific sniffing or wet sounds thing - arrggg

Strauss - I meant misophonia but haven't ever heard of Blennophobia so thanks for the info - I'll read up later.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia
it is wet sounds - food and worst snot/sniffing. I'm not sure why I'd close my business due to it, or why I 'deserve'

He's back ekkk better work and try and focus so hard it blocks the world out.

StraussN Tue 10-Oct-17 18:48:54

Surely a Dr. diagnosed a phobia (and used the right word), or do you mean you just don't like the sounds and thought a Latinate noun would give it a little credence?

StraussN Tue 10-Oct-17 18:48:54

Surely a Dr. diagnosed a phobia (and used the right word), or do you mean you just don't like the sounds and thought a Latinate noun would give it a little credence?

sarahjconnor Tue 10-Oct-17 18:48:55

mistressdeecee - I have said he can go home and be paid in full but he's too diligent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now