Talk

Advanced search

Health insurance

(10 Posts)
Justyou Tue 10-Oct-17 12:12:29

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this but at least to have it confirmed will stop me wondering.
A few years ago I took out a health & separate life insurance through my bank.
A while ago I was struggling with money and ended up having to be really strict on outgoings so looked anywhere I could save money and cancelled these policies along with any others direct debits that weren't compulsory.
Typically not long after I became unwell and was diagnosed with a condition which would have meant a definite payout from the health policy of close to £100000.
I obviously had to come to terms with my condition and it took no further headspace but now that I m getting there I do keep thinking have I got even the slightest chance of anything.
I think I already know the answer and I know that I shouldn't have cancelled it and hindsight is a wonderful thing but I truly was struggling money wise and had my children's needs at the time to take care of.
Thanks in advance

Sussex1983 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:18:26

I'd suspect no, there's no chance of you being covered by the policy, but the only way to find out for sure, is to contact the insurance company

cupofchai Tue 10-Oct-17 12:21:53

The answer will be a No - because you cancelled the policy therefore when you had the condition you had no cover.

Unless I read it incorrectly it would be like you never had cover.

FluttershysCutieMark Tue 10-Oct-17 12:22:40

Sorry to hear about the rough time you've had OP.

Sadly I'm pretty sure the insurance will not pay out, as soon as you cancelled it you lost all cover. Unless of course you paid annually then I would imagine you would be covered for the remainder of the period but if you paid on a monthly basis and are now outside the annual renewal then you've got no chance of a payout.

Why would they pay money to someone when they have no legal obligation to? It's difficult enough getting a pay out for a legitimate claim.

Sorry OP, hope you recover soon.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 10-Oct-17 12:24:30

I think the answer is no. That said, just contact them to make it absolutely clear.
Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing but you can only live in the time you are in and at the time you addressed the greater need.
I wish you good health flowers

pullingmyhairout1 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:25:27

Cancellation of premiums = lapsed policy = no pay out.

Justyou Tue 10-Oct-17 12:26:29

Thanks anyway, unfortunately it's a life long thing. Just keep thinking I wish I could go back in time. But I guess that's true for so many things.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 10-Oct-17 12:26:37

I also wanted to add that insurance companies are notorious for looking to reduce/nullify payments even when there is a legitimate claim. Their job is to find holes and caveats - your particular case is pretty much an open/shut case for them.

GrockleBocs Tue 10-Oct-17 12:30:07

It may be that the health insurance wouldn't pay out for a chronic (lifelong) illness anyway. They often only cover critical illnesses from a list of potentially life threatening things.

pullingmyhairout1 Wed 11-Oct-17 07:08:22

Depends on whether it was critical illness or income protection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now