Talk

Advanced search

To ask how working parents of SN children manage?

(1 Post)
LonginesPrime Tue 10-Oct-17 11:36:24

Posting here for traffic.

I'm a single parent and am thinking about changing jobs (both for career reasons and to get a more regular working pattern as lots of overtime is required). However, my DC have medical issues and SEN so I spend quite a bit of time at hospital and school appointments with them. These obviously happen during office hours, so I have to take quite a bit of time out of the office every so often (we'll usually have a couple of quiet months and then a string of appts).

Aside from the odd appt I have to postpone, I manage quite well at my current employer as I'm often in the fortunate position of working in a team where colleagues can cover for me (we all look out for each other and it's a very supportive environment) and being able to work from home in the evening on the days the DC have appointments so I can still meet my deadlines.

I've been where I am for years and have built up quite a lot of goodwill. I'm very conscious of how lucky I am and am scared to leave as a result so my question is: how do others with SN children handle going to all the appointments when they have to work?

N.B. There's no-one else I can send to appts in my place at the moment - it's just me and the DCs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now