Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this situation can't go on?

(9 Posts)
Bluecats2 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:12:56

I am a supply teacher. I haven't always been one; I used to be in senior management and then encountered a bonkers headteacher who wasn't very effective. I left early in 2016.

Initially I got loads of work - I was actually turning some down. I worked in one place for the rest of 2016 and then they had me back last February until summer but then no longer needed.

Now, I am with three agencies and I have had ONE day teaching and a handful of cover supervisor work. I'm a single parent. Sometimes I get offered work but only for the morning.

I'm lonely and miss the friendships and relationships from working full time.

But I have had two years 'out' and so I don't think I'd be considered for HoD/SLT posts. I won't be considered for classroom teaching posts because they will go to young fresh NQTs and I am expensive (I kmow pay portability has gone but schools haven't had the memo.) I know there is a national shortage of teachers but here seem to be doing okay thank you very much - lots of colleges and universities and Teach first students.

I have seriously considered relocating to kick start my career again.

Can anybody help? sad

Normalserviceissuspended Tue 10-Oct-17 08:19:13

What subject do you teach?

Bluecats2 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:20:31

Core - English.

Bobbiepin Tue 10-Oct-17 08:24:00

Maybe hit middle of the road and go for a hod post, espcially if there is something available mid year. You are right in saying you're too expensive to be a classroom teacher but HODs of core subjects are expensive anyway without having as much responsibility as SLT.

Bluecats2 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:28:28

That is what I am desperately hoping for!

Bobbiepin Tue 10-Oct-17 08:33:42

Adverts will start popping up on TES soon, we're approaching the deadline date for resignation. Any school with an English HOD leaving mid year may have problems but you'll be able to work at least. You'll need a good rrason for going to, and leaving, supply work which doesn't slag off that previous head.

Bluecats2 Tue 10-Oct-17 08:35:56

It's such an important role and I am out of practice. I feel like I have ruined my career dramatic

Bobbiepin Tue 10-Oct-17 10:13:56

Which is why you're more likely to find a place mid year. Would taking a temporary pay cut just to get back in be possible? I wouldn't say you've ruined your career, there's such a massive teacher shortage and experience in difficult schools especially is still valued.

Bluecats2 Tue 10-Oct-17 10:51:37

I don't mind a pay cut at all - I just find supply unbearable sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now