Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

any pharmacists around please? not aibu but need an answer

(8 Posts)
fairyofallthings Tue 10-Oct-17 07:17:34

Children 12 to 15 years: Take one to one and a half tablets every 4 to 6 hours, as required.
Don’t take more than 6 tablets (4 doses) in any 24 hours.
Children 10 to 12 years: Take one tablet every 4 to 6 hours as required.
Don’t take more than 4 tablets (4 doses) in any 24 hours.

For a 12 year old would you give 1 or 1 1/2 tablets? The instructions are ambiguous. We've erred on the side of caution and given one.

Thanks.

PickAChew Tue 10-Oct-17 07:19:28

Depends how big they are as dosage is as much by weight as age for most medicines.

AnInchWasPinched Tue 10-Oct-17 07:20:07

I would give my DS the larger dose as he is large (about 98 percentile, average for two years older) for his age, but not for my Dd who is average for her age.

SandunesAndRainclouds Tue 10-Oct-17 07:20:26

Not a pharmacist but my 11yo DD was given the equivalent to 1.5 tablets in hospital and we were told to carry on with the same at home. This may have been accurately weight calculated dose however.

PurpleDaisies Tue 10-Oct-17 07:20:41

What drug is it? Is one tablet doing the job?

One and a half will be fine for a twelve year old because they're included in the age range for the higher dose.

Sirzy Tue 10-Oct-17 07:22:02

For most OTC drugs the guideline doses are well within the safe dose anyway.

Not medical but I would probably judge that one slightly based on the severity of symptoms. If they where just mild I would go with the lower dose if really struggling the higher.

BeyondThePage Tue 10-Oct-17 07:25:57

Paracetamol?

Depends on size of child - large for age give 1.5, small for age give 1 - average sized child then go with symptoms - if 1 isn't hacking it go with 1.5 - always err on the side of caution.

fairyofallthings Tue 10-Oct-17 07:36:54

sorry, yes paracetomol - I missed that bit out.

We've gone with 1 for now as they are tall for their age but very slim but I'll possibly give 1 1/2 if needed next time.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now