Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask you for your essential jail item?

(110 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

TheClaws Tue 10-Oct-17 07:11:36

I’m just interested in what everyone would choose. I had a weird dream about it - and I had a headache at the time, so I very boringly chose Co-Codamol. Imagine how much better I could have done!

So, you’re in jail and can ask the MN collective for just one item. What would it be?

Guidelines are:
1. It needs to fit inside a normal jail cell - so no full-size cars or helicopters smile
2. No drugs or other mind-altering substances
3. No weapons
4. No conjugal visits allowed, of course
5. No keys.

HerOtherHalf Tue 10-Oct-17 07:13:02

A kindle.

speakout Tue 10-Oct-17 07:13:12

Is this a joke?

If so in very bad taste.

Weebo Tue 10-Oct-17 07:14:06

My Kindle.

<boring fart>

Weebo Tue 10-Oct-17 07:15:06

Hello fellow boring fart, Her. grin

What is so bad about it Speak?

EnidNextDoor Tue 10-Oct-17 07:16:23

Radio.

WingsofNylon Tue 10-Oct-17 07:18:31

My mobile phone.

Argeles Tue 10-Oct-17 07:18:43

The biggest, thickest lined notebook I could find, with a pen attached.

I would bloody well hope I’d be allowed to replenish my pen supply, or I’d seriously lose the plot!

speakout Tue 10-Oct-17 07:21:05

Have you ever seen inside a women's prison?

Heartbreaking places. many inmates are just 17, often imprisoned for failing to pay fines.
The young women themselves are often taking heroin, working as prostitutes, usually the product of a failed care system or abusive upbringing. Suicide and self harm is common, the regimes are harsh and unforgiving.

Perhaps I am sensitive as I have actually seen first hand the horrors of a women's prison.

ShirleyPhallus Tue 10-Oct-17 07:21:55

My iPad

TheClaws Tue 10-Oct-17 07:41:21

Sorry, Speakout. Feel free to read something else? This is, yes, for a little bit of fun. I am quite aware jails are unpleasant places. However MN (and the world) has been a bit grim of late so how about a bit of light? If it offends you, just don’t read it.

DopeyDazy Tue 10-Oct-17 07:52:33

don't 17 year olds go to young offenders institutions is have a safe bolted to the wall so no one could steal my stuff :-)

DopeyDazy Tue 10-Oct-17 07:53:09

I'd not is

ilovesooty Tue 10-Oct-17 07:56:45

Quite a few of those things you simply wouldn't be allowed to take anyway.

FinallyDecidedOnUserName Tue 10-Oct-17 08:05:50

iPhone - prob not permitted so I’d go for a fully loaded kindle.

BigGreenOlives Tue 10-Oct-17 08:09:08

I agree with Speakout. Why not change it to desert island? Do you remember the very sad case of a MNetter whose daughter was being sentenced and who was trying to think of what she should pack.

Bringbackpublicfloggings Tue 10-Oct-17 08:22:02

Good quality bog roll

TheClaws Tue 10-Oct-17 08:23:07

I don’t recall hearing about the MNetter’s daughter and I did not mean to be insensitive. FGS. MN has changed. A few months back a thread like this would have been fine. Now it gets jumped on instantly. I’ll report my own bloody thread and have it deleted. Cheers.

Mulch Tue 10-Oct-17 08:25:02

If posted about a dessert island someone will still be offended

Mulch Tue 10-Oct-17 08:25:36

I'd be really boring and take my mobile and maybe some decent brie

Namethecat Tue 10-Oct-17 08:26:32

I worked in a male prison for 9 years . Young offenders are classed as 18-21 .A prison can be a combined YOI (young offender institute) and an adult one You do have access to pens,paper ( and if need be can also purchase ) Prisoners are encouraged to do some form of work whilst in prison or at least take on education which they are paid for. You don't see the actual money but are handed a list known as canteen which you then order from. This is stuff usually like stamps, branded shower gel,soap,deodorant etc as well as tobacco, cigarette paper, sweets, nicer brand coffee,tea bags etc. You are provided with the basics but able to buy brands if your spends allow. Pay in prison in the late 2000s was anything from £7.50 - 15.00 a week, family could also send in money.

Fekko Tue 10-Oct-17 08:27:21

Cake with a file in it?

pasturesgreen Tue 10-Oct-17 08:31:17

A copy of my favourite book - I'd say kindle like previous posters did but not sure you're allowed them in prison?

Would also take my cross stitch, but that's more than one item, so I'll stick with the book!

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 10-Oct-17 08:32:21

Sorry OP but there has been a very active thread recently where a mother was asking this very question but for real, for her daughter who was about to be jailed and the whole thing was quite sad. This makes your thread seem in really poor taste, especially as you will get people clicking through expecting that thread or an update on it. Maybe report and get it taken down, and start a new one?

This isn't about MN having changed or not being lighthearted anymore, your thread genuinely has the potential to offend.

BulletFox Tue 10-Oct-17 08:32:44

Wasn't Lord Grosvenor's daughter heavily into prison reform? I remember reading about her work and feeling horrified nearly 90k are in prison here. Not sure it's the best method of reform.

Anyway if it ever came to it I'd grap my concealer and white tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now