Talk

Advanced search

To think people don't have a bloody clue!

(88 Posts)
Whatarepeoplethinking Mon 09-Oct-17 20:10:30

Have NC as this is very outing.

I seriously hurt my foot, am in a lot of pain, and have had to use crutches for the past two weeks - still not able to put any weight on my foot.

I've had a crash course in how it feels to be, albeit temporarily, disabled. People are so inconsiderate and rude! They'll block the path and refuse to let you pass. They'll walk past you and knock your crutch out from under you. They'll give you funny looks as if you're deliberately taking up more space and walking slower than they're happy with. And using the disabled 'wheelchair shopping cart' thingy in the supermarket...people won't let you pass. You get dirty looks because you're taking up too much space and need to manoeuvre around things.

AIBU in thinking that people are rude, inconsiderate assholes that don't have a bloody clue? My regard and respect for disabled people has trebled in the past two weeks - it's only been two weeks for me - to go through this on a daily basis for months and years must be so difficult sad. To all the disabled people out there - I salute you.

MarthaArthur Mon 09-Oct-17 20:14:57

I used to care for disabled people. Other people can get really weird and horrible. Talking over wheelchair users as if they cant talk or just ignoring them completely because they are uncomfortable is weird. I bumped into someone in a wheelchair the other day and apologised. The person was severely disabled and i got funny looks as if i shouldnt bother checking the person was ok simply because they were none verbal. Its horrendous.

TabbyMumz Mon 09-Oct-17 20:15:22

I broke my foot a few years ago and never experienced any of these things?!grin

MarthaArthur Mon 09-Oct-17 20:18:14

Maybe you have a scary vibe tabby a "get out of my way or my crutches will get you"? grin

Minidoghugs Mon 09-Oct-17 20:20:14

A little while ago I read this news story about a blind man who attached a camera to his guide dog to record the bad behaviour of people towards him and the dog. It's really shocking that people would act this way. metro.co.uk/2017/01/05/blind-man-attaches-camera-to-guide-dog-to-film-abuse-he-gets-on-a-daily-basis-6362762/

alfagirl73 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:23:07

I totally get you on this... I suffered a severe ankle injury some years back and was walking with a stick for several months - it took ages to heal properly and my ankle was really weak. I had to take my time and felt really quite vulnerable sometimes. It was a real eye-opener - people were impatient, could see I was struggling but barged past me, knocked my stick, tutted if I was a little bit slow to do anything, I got stared at... I definitely experienced some of what you are talking about.

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Mon 09-Oct-17 20:23:09

I went to Harry Potter world with someone temporarily in a wheel chair. God people were rude, standing in front, not letting them through. I couldn't believe it.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Oct-17 20:25:56

I was on crutches for almost two years due to MS. I found most people very helpful and went out of their way to leave room or let me sit down.

Papafran Mon 09-Oct-17 20:25:58

YANBU although chuckling at how revealing you have hurt your foot could be outing.

Nonibaloni Mon 09-Oct-17 20:28:12

I found pushing my dad in his wheelchair made us both invisible. He was never able to push himself but I've heard stories of people pushing people in wheelchairs out the way.
Not long ago my son was separated from his guide dog but a group of runners. I was a few feet behind and completely lost my shit because he was terrified and panicking, the dog was getting jostled and panicking. Got a long lecture about running being important for young people for my trouble. I assume young sighted people.
I think people find it very hard to imagine other people situation. I in no way advocate hitting those people which crutches.

MarthaArthur Mon 09-Oct-17 20:28:49

My perspective is the people who do it are dicks anyway its not knew to them. For the most part people are kind and helpful.

Want2beme Mon 09-Oct-17 20:29:35

I'm so shocked that some people can behave in this way. How upsetting.

Whatarepeoplethinking Mon 09-Oct-17 20:29:52

Tabby - tell me how to be that scary lol, so I can try it tomorrow grin.

Mulberry72 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:30:03

Welcome to my world OP!

Whatarepeoplethinking Mon 09-Oct-17 20:31:52

YANBU although chuckling at how revealing you have hurt your foot could be outing.

Because that, together with previous posts, would definitely out me to people who know me grin.

TheQueenOfWands Mon 09-Oct-17 20:31:54

I can't stand the people who park over dropped kerbs.

Do theory not stop and wonder why the dropped kerbs are there? Have they never seen a wheelchair? Do they not think?

FuckShitJackFairy Mon 09-Oct-17 20:34:40

I find people are much more considerate and understanding when i need to use a stick/walker/chair. It's when i have no outward sign of my disabilities that i recieve abuse for sitting in a priority seat or using a disablity accessable toilet. Gives me rage.

fourpawswhite Mon 09-Oct-17 20:36:03

It's shocking how some people behave. My colleagues husband was in a wheelchair recently with a broken foot. They attended a local event, a few minutes from their house. The had tickets for the disabled area, all was ok. When they left the organisers had put the traffic parking signs weighed down with sand bags across the pavement. The traffic would not stop and she wouldn't have been able to get him down the kerb onto the road and back up again anyway. In the end he got out the wheel chair and crawled round the sign whilst she lifted it over herself. Not one person stopped.

She was horrified at the attitudes of some people. Mind her faith was slightly restored when she tripped on another occasion and let go of the wheelchair on a incline. A few guys coming out a pub caught itblushher husband didn't let her push him after that.

Whatarepeoplethinking Mon 09-Oct-17 20:36:05

Sorry to hear that Mulberry sad.

When I was a support worker, pushing a service user in a wheelchair through town was sometimes very horrible. Once two elderly ladies refused to move aside on the pavement, and pushed the wheelchair off a very high curb. My poor lady almost tipped over face first onto the ground.

Butterymuffin Mon 09-Oct-17 20:37:40

I've experienced this when I had a leg injury. People staring at you for moving in an ungainly manner, tutting because you haven't got the fuck out of their way quickly enough. Was awful. And only temporary for me but it was quite the eye opener.

Silvercatowner Mon 09-Oct-17 20:45:50

I was on crutches for almost two years due to MS. I found most people very helpful and went out of their way to leave room or let me sit down.

This is my experience of being on crutches last year due to a knee injury.

FiveShelties Mon 09-Oct-17 20:49:36

I have had major surgery on both knees and on both occasions was on crutches for long periods. I was astounded at how helpful people were to me, when I was out shopping, people moved to one side, or got things off shelves etc. When we went to the pub, I was immediately given a seat.

I am always smiling, grin even when things are really shit, so I am wondering if that is what makes the difference?

Chottie Mon 09-Oct-17 20:52:47

DH has been on crutches following recent surgery and he has found people to be very helpful too.

IreneDunne Mon 09-Oct-17 20:54:07

I'm a wheelchair user and use crutches on better days. It can be utter crap and on the worst days I feel less than human. I have been pushed, trampled over, tutted at, ignored and belittled.

However, I also experience people's sensitivity, kindness and consideration - older people and people facing other physical challenges are often the kindest and, obviously, most aware. But not always.

Bluntness100 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:55:04

I’ve been on crutches due to a broken ankle and even in hospital going from fracture clinic to x Ray room I found people would just barge past me , not through rudeness they just weren’t looking and put me at risk of toppling over.

Worst was going into the clinic, no seats, woman sitting there with two kids and she just looked at me and looked away, didn’t ask the kids to move to let me sit down. Kids were about four and seven. The older one had a broken arm.

I mean who the actual fuck looks at a woman in a cast hopping on crutches, clearly non weight bearing and decides it would be preferable for her to stand than to ask one of the kids to get up. I actually had to ask her if I could have a seat.

I’d have immediately said, get up and give the lady a seat. I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with some people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now