Advanced search

AIBU to tell the unruly 12 year olds on my street to f*** off?

(14 Posts)
Laurenmclovely Mon 09-Oct-17 19:00:25

So to start, I recently moved into a lovely two bedroom house with my partner and our 4 month old. I went to school in the area and it was a nice area then (I'm 28). About a week after we moved in their antics started. We live in a gated community of maisonettes and they kept repeatedly pressing the intercom to get into the gate. It took five times of them doing this to realise they just wanted to open the gate and run away. My son was only about 8 weeks old at that point and the noise from the intercom kept waking him, and it got to the point that I went outside and told them to clear off as they were waking my son. Since then, they have done this repeatedly although now we just ignore that particular behaviour. Next thing they were doing is throwing lighters and bangers at people's houses , this continued for about 3 weeks. Now they have actually broken the two entrance gates and keep running up and down the stairwells and knocking off our outside light. I caught them in the act earlier and told them to get out or I will call the police. I could still hear them outside, so I went to stand on the balcony and keep at eye out as my son was getting upset. I managed to get him back off to sleep, but decided to go back out on the balcony to scope the situation. One of the biggest culprits made a comment that I was staring at him and I told him he should do something better with his life than hanging around on a street corner. My partner came in the door at this point and started effing and blinding at me for telling them off! Saying I've made myself a target and embarrassed myself by saying anything. I'm here all day everyday, he works away a lot so he has no idea how bad it gets and thinks I'm just picking on them, even though he has made comments himself about their behaviour. I worry for the safety of my son with their behaviour . Someone please tell me that IANBU about this?!!!

Creambun2 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:02:18

If this is social housing get onto the council or HA.

Gimmeareason Mon 09-Oct-17 19:02:56

Definitely not unreasonable im sorry you have to put up with this shit.

Laurenmclovely Mon 09-Oct-17 19:03:26

I have, they won't do anything because I don't know any names. All they did was come out to fix the gate, which they have broken again!

Ineedmorelemonpledge Mon 09-Oct-17 19:05:04

Can you take photos and call the police?

Bluelonerose Mon 09-Oct-17 19:06:09

Try your local pc so they are great for sorting this kind of thing.
We had kids (13/14) from other end of the street come to play football outside our house coz they didn't want to wreck their parents cars.

Pcso sorted it in know time.

Slimthistime Mon 09-Oct-17 19:07:34

YANBU to be furious

unfortunately these sods can take revenge with no fear of law or anything so I must admit, while I'd rage, I'd be more likely to keep quiet - apart from reporting to management of course.

I have a friend who has issues with kids chucking fireworks at houses in her street every year and every year the police just say they can't do anything.

what sort of gates and doors - could they have anti-climb paint put on them?

WorraLiberty Mon 09-Oct-17 19:07:44

You need to keep calling the police.

I agree with your DP in the sense that you're making yourself a target, by giving them what they want (negative attention).

They're behaving like that to wind you up, so your reaction will only make them do it more I'm afraid sad

Have a word with your local safer neighbourhood police team.

Coffeetasteslikeshit Mon 09-Oct-17 19:08:23

I agree, get hold of your local PCSO, they should be able to sort it out for you. Maybe try and find out where they live beforehand?

Ttbb Mon 09-Oct-17 19:08:33

They've committed criminal damage. Instal some CCTV and then go to the police.

NewBrian Mon 09-Oct-17 19:09:40

I hope your DH didn’t go against you in front of them. Having endured similar yanbu and I second the pcso idea, they’re good at visiting the same area at the same sort of time daily which is a good deterrent.

MrsPicklesonSmythe Mon 09-Oct-17 19:10:37

Sorry to say but I agree with your partner you've made yourself a target by going out and watching/shouting.
Best thing you can do is mute the buzzer and contact the council/local police every time. Eventually they'll get fed up and put cctv in. You could try putting real or fake cctv in as a deterrent although best check the rules on that first.

LynetteScavo Mon 09-Oct-17 19:11:45

Send your DH out to speak to them in a reasonable manner, explaining you're really upset about the baby being woken up, saying he's sure they didn't mean to upset a baby...

onlyindreams Mon 09-Oct-17 19:21:43

These are the consequences of the softly softly approach by the police towards youngsters. What have they got to fear? absolutely nothing it seems. Kids nowadays are very much aware of their rights. They know nothing will happen to them.

Kids round our way have taken to lobbing stones at passing cars, nothing can be done about it apparently hmm, little shits seem to have the right to do whatever they want. So bloody depressing how things are going.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: