Talk

Advanced search

To Get Signed Off?

(13 Posts)
Haggishappens Mon 09-Oct-17 16:13:26

NC for obvious reasons but I'm aregular.

I handed in my notice 2 weeks ago and have every intention of working it in full, my new job doesnt start until 2nd January.

I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and although I've had flare ups every few months, I've never needed to take any time off for it and I manage it with CBT, fluoxitine and propranolol. After my initial diagnosis and up until now I've managed it pretty well and to me it's just been an annoying background "thing" I have to deal with, I havent been as bad as I was right at the beginning since I started medication etc. When I was first diagnosed, I was offered time off work but I said at the time I wanted to continue working because I bloody loved my job and I actually think it massively helped to keep going on as normal.

Anyway, my company had a restructure and this meant me giving up my team management responsibilities (I had 16 direct reports and I LOVED my job) to be more focused on client management. This is why I handed in my notice in the first place, the job wasnt what I wanted anymore and it was with a very heavy heart that I realised I had started to hate my new role and dreaded going to work for the first time ever. I've been here 4 years and I'm one of the longest standing member of staff in my office, so I've got a lot of friends and support here. Until now, my anxiety has never been related to work at all.

Anyway, since the job change my anxiety is starting to snowball. Instead of an occasional blip every few months, I'm currently experiencing panic every day and I've stopped sleeping because I'm dreading work. I've also started making little errors because I'm tired and overstretched and I can't concentrate at all.

At the weekends I'm not leaving the house and I've lost all motivation to get dressed and get myself out which is completely unlike me. Every morning I'm bursting into tears at least once as I get dressed and in the car because the feeling of panic and worry is overwhelming me a bit.

I'm now really worried this is morphing into depression. I've never had issues sleeping and even at my worst with the anxiety when I was first diagnosed I never lost the will to get up and out of the house. I just have a really strong "something is really wrong" feeling all the time and it's not ok.

Writing that out, I need to go and see my GP and I think I need to not be at work for a couple of weeks until I can get myself level.

How does that work with work as I'm technically in my notice period, albeit right at the beginning of it? Does that mean they can not pay me for that time? What's the law on this? I can't afford to not be paid so if that's possible I'll need to be in work but if I do that the liklihood is this is going to get a hell of a lot worse unless they can prescribe/ offer more intensive treatment?

Argh.

Banderwassnatched Mon 09-Oct-17 16:21:19

Surely if you're on notice you're still entitled to sick pay. Do you have a union you can consult? Is your line manager supportive, can you discuss this with him/her? I have felt this way about work before. Personally, knowing that I was leaving was enough to make the notice period manageable but not everyone will feel that way.

mummyretired Mon 09-Oct-17 16:24:02

You being in your notice period makes no difference to your sick pay. Assuming you aren't in already in a disciplinary process for sickness and that you would normally be paid for time of sick, go for it.

I have some experience of anxiety/bursting into tears/depression and I wouldn't have been able to stay at work at the stage you are at - please give yourself a break! flowers

Haggishappens Mon 09-Oct-17 16:35:58

Nope, not in any diciplinary, I've had 2 days off sick so far this year and I'm a full time employee with a permenant contract so I get full sick pay usually.

Just called the GP, they can offer me a routine appointment on the 19th but if I call tomorrow morning at 8am they can get me a same day appointment. 19th is over my 7 day self certification so does that mean I need to get a same day?

AbandonGups Mon 09-Oct-17 18:16:05

Typed a message and it disappeared (sorry if duplicate)
Yes, I think you do need to get a same day appt as you'll need a fit note once past 7 days. You could leave it til nearer your self cert period is coming to an end and then get a same day appointment. Dr will prob give you a 2 week period off under a fit note. Sounds like you really need it. (Remember to count weekends too in the self cert days, even if you don't work them.)
Sounds like a good idea to see GP anyway though, fit note aside.
And I would think that absolutely you should get same sick pay entitlement during notice (unless perhaps your contract explicitly states otherwise??). Take care and look after yourself

Haggishappens Tue 10-Oct-17 08:57:55

I've booked an appt with my GP for 15:20 today, im at work this morning but I have no idea how long I'm going to be able to stay here, had a good cry in the car on the way here and a mini panic attack once I'd parked up in the car park which I haven't done for ages.

I feel guilty asking to be signed off because I'm not physically unwell, how do I move passed that?

HoHoN0 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:03:47

Hi, I was signed off with stress during my notice period and was paid as normal. Slightly different situation as my employer was horrendous. However, unwell is unwell - just because you can't see someone's illness doesn't mean that it isn't real. Get signed off for as long as it takes for you to feel well again. X

AbandonGups Tue 10-Oct-17 09:16:20

Never feel guilty. Your mental health is as important as your physical health. Don't let it get any worse, if being at work is making you ill, then you shouldn't be there.
You can use the time to get well for your next job, and hopefully the time away will help.
Can your GP refer you to some support (talking therapies etc) to help prepare for your next role?

Sunnysidegold Tue 10-Oct-17 09:21:08

Hi...i had long term sickness due to anxiety and depression and felt the same.way going into work as you did although I had a terrible time at work. Just make sure if you are signed off you have a plan in place to get you back to work if you intend to go back after the two weeks you mentioned.the first time I was signed off I spent the time worrying about going back to work so things got even worse and it took me longer to get better. Is there someone at work yo could talk to? What's your line manager Like?

Haggishappens Tue 10-Oct-17 10:26:03

My line manager is good, we get in well and he's understanding of mental health although I'm still not comfortable talking about it with him, I think that's more to do with me than him though.

I have a friend here who was signed off with similar problems for 4 weeks not long ago, think I'll have a chat with her and see how she managed her return to work etc.

I'm currently in the loo and can't get myself back out again sad

AbandonGups Tue 10-Oct-17 16:36:13

Hey Haggis. Sorry to hear your update. How was the rest of your day? Did your GP help?
Hope you manage to rest this evening and give yourself a break x

Haggishappens Tue 10-Oct-17 20:24:38

I left the office at 2pm and the GP has said I can self certify for 7 days, and she's sending me the note on Monday for a further 2 weeks minimum.

At the moment I'm feeling overwhelmingly guilty about being away from work and I'm panicking about what happens to my workload while im gone.

I feel like a fraud because I'm not physically unwell, really struggling with that.

AbandonGups Tue 10-Oct-17 22:25:24

Glad you got the support from the GP. She could clearly tell you were not fit for work. I really hope some space from work is what you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now