Advanced search

Please ask your schools to stock spare allergy pens

(32 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 09-Oct-17 15:37:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

babybarrister Mon 09-Oct-17 19:34:41

EscapingAdultLife Mon 09-Oct-17 19:43:32

This is so important. Epi Pens ha e saved me several times. Mostly to allergies I didn't know I had

babybarrister Mon 09-Oct-17 20:11:35

dontbesillyhenry Mon 09-Oct-17 20:31:32

I didn't think schools/nurseries were covered insurance wise to give/hold epi pens? Most of the schools here will make parents pick children up and take them home if they have no epi pen

Bananmanfan Mon 09-Oct-17 20:35:34

Any idea how much they cost? I would like to share this with my DCs school & offer to buy one if they're affordable.

Hulababy Mon 09-Oct-17 20:37:17

I did a quick google and one pharmacy says £36.99 per pen, for schools to purchase.

Hulababy Mon 09-Oct-17 20:39:20

dontbesillyhenry - the schools I know of all are able to give an epi-pen when required. Older pupils often carry their own, but I work at an infant school and they are held centrally in school, all named and boxed out of reach of children - but easy and quickly accessible to every member of staff, all of whom have been shown how to use one.

ditzychick34 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:40:16

Do they not carry a specific dose, weight related for the child? Burly yr 6 and a newby yr 1 in one pen?

Bananmanfan Mon 09-Oct-17 20:41:16

Thanks Hula

ditzychick34 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:42:51

Skim read, sorry, but isn't the idea that it's a second pen for a specific child?

897654321abcvrufhfgg Mon 09-Oct-17 20:47:03

All schools should keep these BUT if a child has a life threatening allergic reaction at school for the first time the school will NOT be able to use the spare pens. Schools will only be allowed to administer the spare pen to a child who is already prescribed an epipen. It's just a back up really for lost pens, out of date etc.

KindergartenKop Mon 09-Oct-17 20:49:36

I don't think the adrenaline dose varies. If you don't have one for the right child you can use any one to hand. Administering it when not necessary is harmless. Failing to administer when it is necessary could be fatal.

trixymalixy Mon 09-Oct-17 20:50:33

ditzychick, the law has been changed to allow schools to hold an epipen that isn't for one specific child.

Epipens usually come in only two doses, epipen jr and standard epipen.

Thirtyrock39 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:51:26

And they can only be given to a child who has a protocol for them they can't just be given to anyone

Ollivander84 Mon 09-Oct-17 21:03:06

If you don't know how to use one, when you ring 999 they will talk you through it - also about using someone else's and whether to use it if out of date

AgathaMystery Mon 09-Oct-17 21:05:05

'And they can only be given to a child who has a protocol for them they can't just be given to anyone'

You can give an epipen to anyone in an emergency situation. It would be absolutely unforgivable to NOT administer to someone who was unable to maintain their airway or who was having an anaphylaxis.

It's not the children who carry an epipen who are the worry. It's the people who are having their first anaphylaxis who terrify me.

hopeful31yrs Mon 09-Oct-17 21:09:48

Agree this is reasonable. Some countries give more than one epipen per patient as standard as 1 dose isn't always adequate. Having a generic pen available to use in public places for emergencies could be life saving even if 1 dose has been given.

DustyMaiden Mon 09-Oct-17 21:14:06

Would they recognise an allergic reaction? My DS had anaphylaxis at school, he was swelling up and they just sat him in the sick bay, waiting for me.

I do think there should be trained medical staff in schools.

babybarrister Mon 09-Oct-17 21:17:04

MaureenMLove Mon 09-Oct-17 21:20:44

I did a refresher epipen training with our young people's team at local hospital a few weeks ago and whilst yes, you can use other students epipens in an emergency, we were advised that it should only be used once the 999 operator has told you to so.

Happy to be corrected by a rl HCP who really knows though!

AgathaMystery Mon 09-Oct-17 21:23:22

I agree the guidance is very clear - the reality is that anaphylaxis can occur so so suddenly & IRL (in my experience) people are frightened of using epipens in case they get in to trouble.

I have a colleague who has severe anaphylaxis and when we administer her epipens we give them 30 seconds apart in each thigh (30 seconds, not minutes). Most years she ends up ventilated for a day or 2. This has been going on for years and yet still I have colleagues (in a hospital) who are afraid to use them.

Anaphylaxis is terrifying, but please never be afraid to use a pen. Always call 999 and they will talk you through the pen.

KindergartenKop Mon 09-Oct-17 21:38:12

I had training from a paramedic who said that it can't hurt you to be injected with adrenaline when you don't need it.

babybarrister Mon 09-Oct-17 21:52:37

sadiemm2 Mon 09-Oct-17 21:53:51

If you accidentally inject adrenaline, you experience a panic attack.... It's not likely to cause any damage. I had this told to me by a paramedic who came out to a child in anaphylaxis at my school. I gave her her injection, and had made a joke about trying not to inject myself. She needed both her pens, and more adrenaline the next day. I'm going to. Urge my school to buy an epipen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now