Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Maternity pay and bank holidays please help!!

(8 Posts)
Pickleypickles Mon 09-Oct-17 13:22:07

Basically my holidays run from Jan - Jan, i went on mat leave 1st Feb and came back to work 1st Sept.
I just asked my boss about my holidays and he said you have 21 days but there has been 7 bank holidays (which i would of been working had i not been on mat leave)
I dont THINK i got paid a full day for bank holidays when i was off, just standard maternity (need to check pay slips)
Boss has said now i lose 7 days holiday because of the bank holidays
I say that unless i got paid the holiday pay for the bank holidays they are still mine and he cant take them off me unless ive taken them or been paid for them.
Who is right?

Smoothyloopy Mon 09-Oct-17 13:32:38

When I was on maternity leave all bank holidays were added to my total holiday accrued during that period. I think it depends on your contract, if it says you are entitled to bank holidays in addition to your annual leave. If it does they would be obliged to honour that as being on maternity leave shouldn't result in you being disadvantaged.

Crunchymum Mon 09-Oct-17 13:35:38

As long as your contract states you get x amount of annual leave plus Bank Holidays (check contract doesn't say X annual leave including Bank Holidays) then yes you should have accrued them whilst on ML.

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Mon 09-Oct-17 13:36:24

You legally get 28 days per annum standard leave, of which 8 are bank holidays. If they are part of your legal entitlement you must be paid for them. (Some people prefer the term 5.6 weeks, which would be 5 x 5 days plus 3 = 28 days).

www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

newmumFeb17 Mon 09-Oct-17 13:39:29

He is wrong. And I don't think there have even been 7 bank holidays since 1st Feb anyway?

RosiePosieRosie Mon 09-Oct-17 15:22:41

The bank holidays were added to my holiday...so unless you’ve been paid for them, you’re owed.

MaxPepsi Mon 09-Oct-17 15:36:59

There has only been 5 bank holidays in the time you were off.
Id ask your HR department for clarification.

SandyY2K Mon 09-Oct-17 16:24:58

HR professional here ...
You should by law get your bank holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now