Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to call in sick?

(67 Posts)
SplodgeBear1988 Mon 09-Oct-17 06:36:02

Today I have woke up and found I have flooded a ST, this is my first proper AF since I was 15 due to contraception of various sorts.
AF used to make me throw up on the first day.
Today I feel a bit sicky.
I work in a job that when I'm there it will be hard for me to come home.
WIBU to phone in sick today?

PumpkinPie2016 Mon 09-Oct-17 06:42:04

While I sympathise, I do think it would be unreasonable to ring in sick for a period. Loads of women have heavy periods which make them feel rubbish (me included) but wouldn't ring in sick.

Can you use tampax? I'm go in, stocked up with sanitary products and paracetomol plus water ir whatever you like and battle through.

Happydays21 Mon 09-Oct-17 06:43:58

Feeling 'a bit sicky' doesn't sound like not well enough to go to work so yes yabu.

bigchris Mon 09-Oct-17 06:46:15

You can't phone in every month though

welshweasel Mon 09-Oct-17 06:46:42

Feeling a bit sicky is no reason to call in sick.

venys Mon 09-Oct-17 06:46:48

I hate the term feel a bit 'sicky'. It sounds as though you just can't be assed. Woman up and do what the pp said - stock up with what you need and get on with it.

pasturesgreen Mon 09-Oct-17 06:53:14

Seems way OTT to call in sick for your period. I do sympathise, as I've had horrendously heavy periods since coming off the pill last year, but I don't think that's a reason to not go to work. You'll likely feel a bit better when out and about!

SplodgeBear1988 Mon 09-Oct-17 06:57:10

The flow isn't the issue, it's the physical vomiting that is......
I wouldn't be asking if it was just heavy flow I would just get in like I always used to.
I'm used to going in feeling rubbish and just battle through.
The question is if you were very likely to vomit would you go into work?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 09-Oct-17 06:57:19

Yabu to not go to work because you might feel ill later. If you are ill later then go home. You're not a prisoner.

Weebo Mon 09-Oct-17 06:58:39

If you genuinely feel like you won't be able to manage today then, of course you should ring in sick.

It really doesn't matter if it's 'just a period' or what other women do.

Chapterandverse Mon 09-Oct-17 06:59:35

Yes, it's not contagious vomiting

TiesThatBindMe Mon 09-Oct-17 07:00:35

Well have you vomited?

pasturesgreen Mon 09-Oct-17 07:00:50

You haven't actually vomited yet, though. You might end up not being sick at all confused

BastardGoDarkly Mon 09-Oct-17 07:03:48

How will they take it? Will it screw them and your colleagues over or will they cope ok? What about tomorrow?

I'd ask myself these, then make my decision, but if I thought I just might be sick, I'd go in.

Up to you, if you really can't face it, phone in flowers

PurpleDaisies Mon 09-Oct-17 07:04:42

If you're not sick now, go in. If you start being sick, come home. You shouldn't take a day off for something that might happen.

RainbowPastel Mon 09-Oct-17 07:07:21

You can't take time off in case you get sick. If you had already been sick then fair enough.

steff13 Mon 09-Oct-17 07:07:32

The question is if you were very likely to vomit would you go into work?

I did, when I was pregnant with my daughter I vomited almost every day for 8 months.

schoolgaterebel Mon 09-Oct-17 07:07:48

If you are vomiting don’t by go into work.

If you are feeling sicky but not vomiting then go into work, save your sick leave for when you really need it.

SteampunkPrincess Mon 09-Oct-17 07:08:43

A bit sicky to me means a bit nauseas not a bit under the weather
If you feel ill then you feel ill

In and yes, you can phone in sick every momth if you are indeed sick every month

TobleroneBoo Mon 09-Oct-17 07:10:04

You can't know that you will vomit if you haven't had a proper AF since 15?

I think you should go to work, if you really need to come home in sure there is a way?

HotelEuphoria Mon 09-Oct-17 07:10:53

Ginger biscuit and a cup of tea, you won't be sick.

5rivers7hills Mon 09-Oct-17 07:13:08

I'd call in sick if you think you're likely to throw up

QuestionableMouse Mon 09-Oct-17 07:15:15

I'd get sent home if I went in vomiting. What sort of job do you do?

Threenme Mon 09-Oct-17 07:16:30

I have pcos and didn't have periods. When I had one I was in agony, vomiting, sweating, literally flooding, it was just awful. To some people it's not "just a period".

Mummyoflittledragon Mon 09-Oct-17 07:19:33

Periods change a lot. As a teen, I used to be near passing out with pain each time my period started so I went on contraception. When I came off it, I no longer had these problems and the pain was a lot less. So you may be fine as things do change as we age.

If this is your only issue, I’d go in, see how you feel later. If you feel too ill or anxious, stay home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now