Talk

Advanced search

To let her drive me?

(18 Posts)
laketaupo Sun 08-Oct-17 21:27:44

My best friend from years back (22) recently passed her driving test , 3rd time lucky (after 2 hugely terrible tests) in mid September. Because she is at university she hasn't yet driven a car on her own as she has been studying and doesn't have access to a car.
She's back at home now and wants to drive me a 16 mile round trip to an appointment which involves a major motorway, country roads etc.

AIBU to let her drive me when I am heavily pregnant and have a young DC at home as well as many other dependant things in my life ?
(I can drive myself but she's keen to show me she can do it too!)

BellyBean Sun 08-Oct-17 21:40:26

Assuming the weather is good, you're not going at rush hour and you're leaving absolutely loads of time, I'd do it.

sonjadog Sun 08-Oct-17 21:41:21

I would let her, no problem.

nevereverever83 Sun 08-Oct-17 21:45:00

Provided she has all the necessary insurance, yeah why not?

PurpleDaisies Sun 08-Oct-17 21:45:36

Why wouldn't you? confused

laketaupo Sun 08-Oct-17 22:13:40

Just a bit concerned that she might get spooked by a twat on the road , or something might distract her. Have too much to lose if something was to go wrong!
Maybe I should give her the benefit of the doubt!

laketaupo Sun 08-Oct-17 22:14:09

@nevereverever83 yes she'll be insured for the day on her parents car.

nevereverever83 Sun 08-Oct-17 23:15:54

Anyone can get spooked. The most important things to consider are that a) she passed her test and b) she feels confident in her abilities (otherwise she wouldn't have offered).

HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Mon 09-Oct-17 00:38:54

16 miles is hardly a long way.

silverbell64 Mon 09-Oct-17 00:41:56

If you don't want her to then don't. People that ask such things are quite annoying, if you think that she isn't capable then don't get in the car. If however you think she is just safe but inexperienced then get in the car.

User02 Mon 09-Oct-17 01:02:33

Can you or even have you seen her drive? How does her driving look to you? If you have not seen her drive you will have to judge from her arrivel at your house or meeting point.
Another way of looking at it is maybe she wants to take you on this trip knowing that you are a longer time driver you would be able to take over the drive if needs must. She may also be looking for approval from you as an expereinced driver.

laketaupo Mon 09-Oct-17 08:36:12

Fair enough, maybe I'll let her take me today and see how she gets on

pinkyredrose Mon 09-Oct-17 08:38:14

Don't see the problem. She's passed her test so presumably she can drive.

sharklovers Mon 09-Oct-17 09:07:22

Don't see the problem. She's passed her test so presumably she can drive.

Well, for a 30 minute period she managed to meet the absolute bare minimum required which is not exactly high. I assume you’ve seen the appalling driving out there and presumably those people have passed tests too!

Trailedanderror Mon 09-Oct-17 09:09:14

What's the advantage to her driving rather than you?

laketaupo Mon 09-Oct-17 09:15:22

@Trailedanderror err not sure, except that she gets to drive a car for the day ?!
I can do the journey myself perfectly easily but she wants to show me that she can drive now presumably. Assuming that she will drive me home again of course hmm

Trailedanderror Mon 09-Oct-17 09:47:05

No then! Unless you'd like the company, I'd go alone. You're anxious about her driving you, there's no advantage!

laketaupo Mon 09-Oct-17 09:54:43

I'm going to let her drive me as I would've been hugely hacked off if she had suggested the same scenario to me and wasn't confident in my driving ability (slightly different situ but roughly the same idea).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: