Talk

Advanced search

Christmas buffet in October

(24 Posts)
Peta11 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:29:28

Hi folks ,
My American SIL and brother plan on moving here but at the end of the month she has to return home to apply for wife visa from there so unfortunately she can't be here for what would be her 1st Christmas ( which she is really upset about esp. as he can't go with her( expired green card) anyway so before she has to leave I'm planing a get together but was thinking with a Christmas theme?!
There will be about 15-20 family so a buffet will be best ,
Any ideas on a Christmas dinner buffet!?
Planning on a few decs and crackers obvs.
Thankyousmile

operaha Sun 08-Oct-17 19:34:07

A lot of pigs in blankets!

Rosieposy4 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:37:36

Bloody hard to get baby chipolatas at that time of the year ( says she who has tried before) also hard to get turkey so you may have to settle for a couple of giant chickens.

ginsterloo Sun 08-Oct-17 19:40:16

All the major supermarkets are selling their Xmas food already so you will have no problem at all getting a turkey and pigs in blankets and mince pies have been on sale for weeks.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 08-Oct-17 19:43:08

Tesco do chipolatas all year round.
Could you do a festive ham instead of Turkey?

Peta11 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:48:55

Totally didn't think of mince pies!!🙈
Ooh ham is good shout!
Mother is quite traditional so may do both🤔
Struggling on decs because kitchen is very newly painted so OH will be less than amused with pins evertywhere🤔 do have a life size SANTA though!
Oh em jeeez I'm excited now!!!!gringrin

ILoveMillhousesDad Sun 08-Oct-17 19:50:16

They had small frozen turkeys in lidl today and lots of buffet style christmas food. Also a dressed smoked salmon (I love Lidl grin)

EdmundCleverClogs Sun 08-Oct-17 19:50:51

Iceland do turkey roast-in-a-tin all year round. I'd bulk it up with something else though, maybe a ham joint. Not that I'm sure she'd mind, Americans have turkey at Thanksgiving three weeks before Xmas, so (may be incorrect) I believe they have a different selection on Xmas day?

FrancisCrawford Sun 08-Oct-17 19:54:59

Individual trifles - maybe in clear glass tumblers

Peta11 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:10:12

Ooh didn't think of thanksgiving Edmumdcleverclogs! And it's not Christmas without trifle is it! Best put Lidl on my list too ! grin

TeenTimesTwo Sun 08-Oct-17 20:24:40

Waitrose do full sized chipolatas wrapped in bacon - delicious.

Idontevencareanymore Sun 08-Oct-17 20:30:43

Tesco had some lovely gammon joints with some kind of stuffing, Christmas packaging. I was eyeing one up thinking sliced cold with pickles!
Mini sausage rolls. It's not Christmas in our house without them

Robots1Humans0 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:47:40

I've already had a box of sweet mince pies from the co-op, this stuff is definitely in the shops! Xx

livingthegoodlife Sun 08-Oct-17 20:47:50

You can just twist an ordinary chipolata in half then ta da 2 mini sausages to wrap in bacon. (If you can't buy mini ones!)

Nanasueathome Sun 08-Oct-17 20:49:32

M&S have mince pies

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 08-Oct-17 20:57:26

Pigs in blankets
Glazed ham studded with cloves
Turkey and cranberry sauce
Definitely mince pies
A big box of Cadbury’s Roses or Quality Street

Can I come too?!

BrieAndChilli Sun 08-Oct-17 21:00:28

Sainsbury’s do a bag of frozen mini chipolatas all year round.

MatildaTheCat Sun 08-Oct-17 21:00:47

Use the removeable sticky hooks for fairy lights etc. They don't leave any marks on the walls although probably not very tasty!

katmarie Mon 09-Oct-17 17:23:42

tescos also have xmas puds and loads of chocolate stuff in as well now, as well as nuts and savoury snacks smile

Leeds2 Mon 09-Oct-17 17:54:54

A Yule log.

Peta11 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:48:49

Thankyou all! Fab ideas! A Yule log!! Of course! grin

MehMehAndMeh Mon 09-Oct-17 18:57:23

A giant, flaming rum soaked Christmas pudding that nobody eats. grin
Bread sauce.
Brandy snaps
Brandy butter
Sprouts with bacon or chestnuts.

ClashCityRocker Mon 09-Oct-17 19:00:01

Pigs in blankets are available all year round! We have them with our chicken dinner on a Sunday.

confusedlittleone Mon 09-Oct-17 19:23:51

Tesco have already brought out a fair bit of their Frozen Christmas food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now