Talk

Advanced search

Any travel agents around?

(11 Posts)
holidayhelpneeded Sun 08-Oct-17 16:27:25

Posting here for traffic, name changed as it's outing.

Flew out on honeymoon Friday afternoon, arrived at the hotel around 10pm and they couldn't find our booking, it was quite stressful hanging around reception waiting for the booking manager, phoning the estate agent back home etc, turns out they had booked our flights for now but the hotel for the same week next year!! We got a room after midnight.

Agents agreed to pay the hotel for this week but the hotel is full and can only give us 5 nights, now having to wait until tomorrow for the agents to phone and let us know what they are going to do about it, as you can imagine it's putting a bit of a dampener on a holiday we have saved a long time for.

What I wanted to know is where do I stand in terms of making demands? Can I be a bit fussy about where they move us? I took a long time choosing here I don't want to be shoved somewhere I'd decided against originally, we aren't far from the airport at the minute so a taxi wasn't too expensive, can I expect to be reimbursed the difference if they move us further away?

Generally just feel a bit rubbish we have waited years for our honeymoon and it feels stressy and ruined

PinkFlamingo888 Sun 08-Oct-17 16:38:26

I would definitely be making demands but you will have to take what is offered really or you'll be without somewhere to stay. I'd make the most of it for now and complain heavily when home. Did you say you booked through an agent? Were you in the shop at the time of booking or over the phone? You should have signed a booking confirmation detailing dates etc and also been given accommodation vouchers if this was booked separately and not as part of a package with flights. Everybody makes mistakes but I'm shocked that the travel agency didn't pick this up!

Iwanttobe8stoneagain Sun 08-Oct-17 16:44:02

Who are you booked through? Something similar happened to us, luckily we noticed before we got there but still very close so many places booked up. We basically stated everything we needed and eventually upgraded to 5star hotel. But this took time. Make sure you get everything in writing to follow up
If needs be when you get home. If you compromise make it clear you are having to do so as no viable alternative so you can ask for some form of compensation

TheSnowFairy Sun 08-Oct-17 16:50:07

No advice but shock - what an error.

Whinesalot Sun 08-Oct-17 17:33:33

What a shame.

ajandjjmum Sun 08-Oct-17 17:43:12

You should be booked in to a better hotel asap. Send a tweet to the Travel Agents - that tends to get a more immediate response, also their FB page?

Mistakes are human - but they should be bending over backwards to put this right as a matter of urgency.

holidayhelpneeded Sun 08-Oct-17 18:59:53

I appreciate mistakes are human, we booked over the phone and when all the paperwork came via email we checked dates on the first page which was flights, then hotel name etc in the accommodation voucher, didn't even cross my mind to check they booked the hotel for the same year 🙈 I'm absolutely in love with the hotel we are at so making the most of it, I'm just worried about having to put aside a huge chunk of our money for taxis If we get moved right across the island.

holidayhelpneeded Sun 08-Oct-17 19:01:46

We booked through mitsis holidays who are part of 2bookaholiday, they have been so nice and apologetic but what a pita

Curlyshabtree Sun 08-Oct-17 19:05:49

Are they ATOL protected? The mistake shouldn't have been made but if the original confirmation had been checked by yourselves then it would have been sorted out there and then. Hope you get something sorted.

holidayhelpneeded Sun 08-Oct-17 20:23:15

Yes ATOL protected, stupidly we checked the flight and glanced at the hotel pages registered 6/10-13/10 didn't pay much attention to the year, it's not something you expect them to get wrong

ajandjjmum Sun 08-Oct-17 21:00:05

They could be as nice as they like, but I would be looking to them to sort out this error, particularly as they booked the flights as well. You really can't blame yourself for this!

Is there an even nicer hotel that has availability for your dates - and the agent should arrange the transfer.

Hope you're enjoying some wine to help you get over the stress.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: