Talk

Advanced search

People who ask for donations for ‘Sober for October’ or Dry January

(69 Posts)
SuperTrumper Sun 08-Oct-17 11:42:43

I have an uncle who drinks like a fish. He is doing Sober for October and every few days is reminding people on Facebook how much of a sacrifice he is making and can we please sponsor him, all proceeds to go to charity.

Aibu to get annoyed with people who give up a vice for a period of time and expect to be applauded for it? It’s hardly running a marathon? And if it is such a real struggle that deserves applause then surely give it up for good and get help?
If you want to raise money for charity, then surely put aside all money you would spend per week on alcohol and then write a cheque at the end of the month for the amount you save?

YouTheCat Sun 08-Oct-17 11:43:43

Couldn't agree more.

FenceSitter01 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:46:12

I'm with you on this one. My take on it is : If you have such a drink problem you have to ask people to sponsor you to give up for a month (ant want a round of applause and volley of facebook likes for doing so) how about you donate all the money you are saving not drinking - say £7 a night for a middle bottle of wine on the way home, multiply that by 30 - so £210 to your chosen charity - but don't expect me to join in.

Blueemeraldagain Sun 08-Oct-17 11:48:31

I agree. I do take part but I donate most of the money I have saved from not drinking. I ask my friends and DP for support (in person not on Facebook) but that's all.

ilovesooty Sun 08-Oct-17 11:48:56

My niece has encouraged me to do it. We've sponsored each other and each donated a sum to cover not drinking alcohol for a month. I haven't asked others to sponsor me.

You can always decline if anyone asks you.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 08-Oct-17 11:48:58

I agree with you.

Save all the money you'd spend on Alcohol/ cigarettes and give that to charity.

Yes it's great to have a break but I can't help thinking "well, you'll. be back drinking like a fish next month, just sort yourself out"

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 08-Oct-17 11:49:33

That's great sooty, just do it privately.

PerfectParisian Sun 08-Oct-17 11:51:06

Absolutely agree.

AccrualIntentions Sun 08-Oct-17 11:51:08

I thought the point of them was you donated the money you didn't spend on alcohol to the charity, not that you asked other people. Have I been doing it all wrong? hmm

ilovesooty Sun 08-Oct-17 11:51:20

Oh, and neither of us drink like fishes by the way. grin

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 08-Oct-17 11:52:09

Sooty I was talking about people I know.

ilovesooty Sun 08-Oct-17 11:53:26

I know. I was only teasing. Sorry.

FenceSitter01 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:56:08

Any one who has to make a conscious effort to not drink or smoke has an addiction problem and should seek the appropriate avenues for help in overcoming those problems.

CocoPuffsinGodMode Sun 08-Oct-17 11:56:31

If you want to raise money for charity, then surely put aside all money you would spend per week on alcohol and then write a cheque at the end of the month for the amount you save?.

This times 100! I used to bing a few quid to friends or colleagues for random charity things but to be honest there are now so many of the type you’ve outlined I just don’t anymore.

I make donations to registered charities and I don’t mind sponsoring friends or colleagues for eg running a marathon to raise money for a cause close to their heart. I object to all the please sponsor me for not drinking/not shaving shite, why don’t they just shake a collection bucket at me and stop pretending they are actually doing anything for the charity? Oh and don’t get me started on bloody just giving...

SportyBobster Sun 08-Oct-17 11:56:39

I had someone on my Facebook recently looking for donations to give up chocolate for a month! hmm

Shared the link almost every day as unsurprising no one was sponsoring. Only comments were from her dh saying how much she was struggling!!!

ilovesooty Sun 08-Oct-17 11:58:35

FFS Fence
You can decide not to have a drink for a month without having an addiction needing treatment.

StevesFlappyCap Sun 08-Oct-17 12:00:35

I think if someone I knew and or cared about who possibly had a borderline (or more) issue with alcohol, decided to do Sober October or whatever. And they were using that to make a change. I'd like to think I'd support them. We all have our demons.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 08-Oct-17 12:01:58

My favourites are the ones who look for a donation for charity to walk the Great Wall of china with part of the donation going towards their holiday costs.

FenceSitter01 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:02:17

sooty in which case you wouldn't be bigging it up on FB asking for donations if you were purely one glass a week sort of person.

Wooders09 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:03:40

I've given up alcohol for 9mths, 3 times now and no one sponsored me!! wink

nocampinghere Sun 08-Oct-17 12:08:50

hmmm YANBU but maybe he sponsors people all the time for running a marathon, ride 100 etc and sees this as his chance of raising some money himself?

tbh everyone i know who runs a marathon, 10k, ride 100, treks a mountain etc are all doing it because they want to, they want the challenge, the training focus etc... it's not about the charity (well not in most of the cases i know anyway).

Lanaorana2 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:10:16

I'm all for giving to charity but I don't think his self-serving ways are fooling anyone. Still, good on him. He - or rather his friends and family - are doing A Good Thing.

sizeofalentil Sun 08-Oct-17 12:10:46

It's quite attention seeking and cringe. Especially when they send emails round the office about it.

Butterymuffin Sun 08-Oct-17 12:11:05

Agree. It shouldn't be so tough to give up alcohol for a month! And yes, people should donate their own usual alcohol spend.

SusanTheGentle Sun 08-Oct-17 12:11:39

I don't sponsor people for doing running either. It's their hobby, no one sponsors me for sitting on my arse watching the TV and knitting.

HOWEVER I feel comfortable with this stance of no sponsoring because I've already set up standing orders to the charities I want to support, so I can safely say 'I've already got a donation plan but good luck!' if asked.

Luckily it's a big old world so charities can pursue multiple fundraising strategies and don't have to rely on just curmudgeons like me! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now