Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need advice re periods sorry..

(5 Posts)
PhDPepper Sat 07-Oct-17 23:59:50

If my periods haven’t come back after one injection of the depot injection in May do I need to use other contraception?

So one injection in May- it ran out in August but no periods as yet. Do we need to use condoms until they return then i can go on the pill? Or is it a case of no period no ovulation no possibility of conception? My dr was less than helpful sad she said that it takes a while for it to get out of your system but offered no advice contraception.

We need to stay baby free until March because I’ve had chemo.

I’ve posted this in chat too but it’s a bit quiet in there.

SpitefulMidLifeAnimal Sun 08-Oct-17 00:20:27

You could be ovulating right now for all you know, OH needs to pop one on.

out4thecount Sun 08-Oct-17 00:22:49

You will usually ovulate BEFORE your first period, and therefore can't rely on lack of periods as contraception and need to be using alternative contraception if you want to stay baby free. The type of contraception is up to you/your doctor and you don't need to delay starting the pill until after your period unless there's a particular medical reason applicable to you. It's quite common for women to stop depot then go on to the pill for a while in advance of TTC because it takes less time for the cycle to normalise after stopping the pill than after stopping depot.

(I'm a GP, but you should consult your own GP for advice specific to you)

PhDPepper Sun 08-Oct-17 00:30:50

@out4thecount thank you I will go back and ask for the pill. I’m not usually so stupid!

out4thecount Sun 08-Oct-17 02:00:58

No probs. I hope you get things sorted smile Condoms in the mean time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now