Talk

Advanced search

To be irritated by my inlaws' attitude?

(6 Posts)
CatcherCan Sat 07-Oct-17 23:23:00

DP and I have a baby who's 7 months old. We both work part-time at the moment, to share the childcare, but we hope soon to work more hours. DP's parents have not worked time since she was tiny. Her dad had an injury that stopped him from working physical jobs when she was very young, and neither of her parents has sought full time work since. DP's siblings mostly don't work full time either - they work shifts part-time. There's no reason for this - they just don't think there's any reason you would work more hours than you need, and since two of them live at home with DP's parents, their outgoings are small.

I love my career. I want to get on in it. I would be happy to put in lots of hours.

AIBU to think my inlaws ought not to belittle me for this? They act as if I am being snooty to want a career, and they constantly try to push me to take on part-time casual work. AIBU to feel angry they keep pushing me to do what they've done?

Ttbb Sat 07-Oct-17 23:25:55

YANBU. Just ignore them-why does it matter what their sort thinks anyway?

CatcherCan Sat 07-Oct-17 23:27:46

It matters to me because it's such a constant pressure.

They would like to look after the baby - so they claim - but only at their convenience, not to help us work. If we ignore that and just arrange work anyway, they constantly guilt-trip us for not giving them enough time with their grandchild.

SonicBoomBoom Sat 07-Oct-17 23:30:36

It's weird that you care so much. They're obviously a bit odd with their views on work. Just nod and smile.

RandomMess Sat 07-Oct-17 23:34:16

"We can't afford to work less"

They have a comeback about benefits etc

"That doesn't work for us"

I'd want to say "we have aspirations got DD beyond living off the state" but I think that would be too judgemental on their lifestyle!

CatcherCan Sat 07-Oct-17 23:37:47

Well, I keep being tempted by that comeback random!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now