Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would aibu to throw out all the toys!

(9 Posts)
Cadenza1818 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:37:06

Obviously I'm bu! This is semi lighthearted, but does anyone else despair at the amount of stuff their kids have?I have 3ds in one bedroom and whilst they make really good attempts to tidy away each evening, stuff always mounts up and I find myself getting cross each evening. It's not their fault. There's not loads of stuff if you separated it out per child. I'm frustrated at not being able to provide a better space for them but then count my blessings that we have a house.
So... Apart from just getting a grip, any suggestions to combat an overflow of stuff short of binning it all!? It's the random bits that do my head in every. E.g fidget spinners, yo yos etc. Other stuff is in proper storage

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 07-Oct-17 20:38:29

Anything they haven’t played with in a while, old baby toys, etc go down the charity shop. Ask them to pick out the ones they don’t want anymore. You’d be surprised how kids don’t actually care about their old toys.

Cadenza1818 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:43:15

I'm pretty ruthless so all baby toys are gone. When I suggested other ones to go they got really upset confused

RandomMess Sat 07-Oct-17 20:44:38

We had shallow IKEA trofast drawers for all that sort of stuff?

Cadenza1818 Sat 07-Oct-17 21:39:33

An excuse for an ikea trip!

Puddlesy Sat 07-Oct-17 21:43:47

It sounds like they are too young to buy the toys themselves so maybe a one in/one out rule going forward?
Toy rotation so only a certain amount of stuff is out at one time.
A couple of boxes for random treasures.

Leeds2 Sat 07-Oct-17 21:48:44

Is there a space for them each to have a bedside table, or a drawer in a chest of drawers, for them to store random, small crap? A carrier bag each if need be.
I wouldn't throw away stuff if they say they are upset about it (maybe remove it from the room for 6 months and see if they notice?), but I would be thinking very carefully about Christmas and maybe buying experiences rather than toys.

Ellieboolou27 Sat 07-Oct-17 21:51:40

I feel like this, toys just bloody multiply in this house despite me not buying anything new.
I've enough storage boxes to open my own branch of IKEA - I give up smile

AliceLostInWonderland321 Sat 07-Oct-17 21:58:28

I think you just have to accept the amount of toys OP. Like you said, they'll get upset if you try and get rid of a lot of them because they're their things. Looking for better storage options I think is your better option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now