Talk

Advanced search

Electronic flea combs.

(28 Posts)
Spangles1963 Sat 07-Oct-17 18:42:22

Hi,posting here for traffic rather than in The Litter Tray section. Has anyone used one of these on their cat? And are they any good?! I've tried numerous flea treatments on my cat but they keep coming back! She seems fine for about 2 -3 weeks after treatment,then the scratching starts again. She's actually pulled some fur out on her rump,just in front of the base of her tail as she keeps chewing at it. I wondered whether an electronic flea comb would zap them once and for all?

dementedpixie Sat 07-Oct-17 18:45:46

What treatments are you using as some are not effective. I use advocate but it's prescription only from the vet

WhoWants2Know Sat 07-Oct-17 18:52:02

The chemical treatments become ineffective over time, so it's good to talk to the vet and alternate every 6 months or so.

I tend to flea comb regularly too, I'm interested in the electronic ones, but haven't tried them yet.

AliCat36 Sat 07-Oct-17 18:58:33

Use a treatment from the vet, such as Stronghold. It's not a repellant tho, but it'll kill any that get onto the cat.
Comb your cat daily with an ordinary flea comb & put any fleas you find into a bowl of water with washing up liquid in it so they can't get out.
I haven't tried an electronic comb but i've read mixed reviews on amazon.

Spangles1963 Sat 07-Oct-17 18:59:46

I've tried Frontline,Advantage,and Programme flea treatments. Not tried Advocate. Would I have to take her to the vet be prescribed it or can I just call in and ask for a prescription for it?

dementedpixie Sat 07-Oct-17 19:03:39

Depends how recently the cat had seen the vet as I just collect mine monthly as the vet had seen them within the last few months. I don't need to take the cats in each time

user1497357411 Sat 07-Oct-17 19:08:24

We had lice for more than a month and I am sure it was the combination of electronic comb and lice shampoo that finally beat it.

dementedpixie Sat 07-Oct-17 19:08:43

Program apparently doesn't kill adult fleas and frontline isn't supposed to be very effective. Advantage is supposed to be ok. Do you treat them monthly as advised?

Spangles1963 Sat 07-Oct-17 19:11:21

The last time she saw the vet was back in November last year for her vaccination booster. She's due to go in again in a few weeks so I'll ask then.

dementedpixie Sat 07-Oct-17 19:16:17

Why not phone them and ask

Danceswithwarthogs Sat 07-Oct-17 19:28:16

There are some much better products from vet... we will prescribe without seeing animal as long as seen and weighed within last 6m or so and cat not likely to have grown/changed weight since last seen. You can get stuff from vet or ask for written prescription for online pharmacy (would be a prescription charge but might be worth it if siginfo can't saving online)

I quite like new product called bravecto... only needs to be done every 3m and no alcohol carrier in spot on so cats don't tend to freak out afterwards.

Electric combs ok for parasites that live whole life cycle on animal but as fleas lay eggs, hatch into larvae and pupate into adult fleas in the house... you'll never resolve them with combingredients alone. A house treatment such as indorex would help (and advocate/stronghold plus some other prescription products stop the fleas laying fertile eggs)

I'd chat with your vet ☺

Danceswithwarthogs Sat 07-Oct-17 19:29:09

Sorry for typos

EasterRobin Sat 07-Oct-17 19:44:15

Hoovering daily is also recommended for persistent fleas. In reality I covered all the catty furniture with sheets for regular washing for a couple of weeks and got a Roomba. (Never tried an electronic flea comb so can't comment on that, sorry)

mirime Sat 07-Oct-17 19:47:24

We've got one, to be honest the most use it got was when we had an actual infestation. Three cats and I was getting 16-20 plus fleas a day of them with the comb. It certainly works if there are fleas to catch. The Frontline obviously didn't.

Not used it much since. As the fleas don't live on the cat you're not likely to catch many. If your cat is that bothered could there be a flea allergy?

MsJamesDeanBradfield Sat 07-Oct-17 19:52:47

Advocate from the vets is great. We use it every 4 weeks and have not seen a flea for years.

ghostyslovesheets Sat 07-Oct-17 19:54:50

we use Advocate I have 4 cats (until recently 5) and we don;t have fleas in the house or on the cats

DJBaggySmalls Sat 07-Oct-17 20:01:03

Electric flea combs are ok but not really necessary, any fine toothed comb will do. Drop the fleas into a pot of surgical spirits.
The fleas are in your home and garden. They only jump on your pet to feed, then they hop off and lay eggs. Flea control is a constant battle.
Also, if your pet has fleas you need to treat them for tapeworm.
Hoover, steam clean if you can and look at using dioatomaceous earth. Its safe for cats.

NannyRed Sat 07-Oct-17 20:06:39

What you must remember is you treat the cat, the fleas are all dead, but then the eggs that are in your carpet/on the cats bed etc hatch, they will obviously jump onto your cat and hopefully die but it does take persistence to free the house of flea eggs too. I use Frontline but it's only available from the vet and you have to take the cat to see the vet. It's pricey but so worth it.

SerendipityFelix Sat 07-Oct-17 20:45:17

Advocate and Advantage have the same anti-flea active ingredient.

OP are you actually seeing fleas? Itching and skin lesions could be other things too. Or some cats with severe flea allergy might need their flea prevention applied more often than usual.

Def discuss with the vet.

Danceswithwarthogs Sat 07-Oct-17 21:55:37

Advocate and advantage have same adulticide component but advocate has moxidectin which makes fleas infertile and kills roundworm also (but they can get tapeworm from fleas or hunting so still need to treat for this)

You can get front line and other fipronil products over the counter but lots of people find it doesn't seem to last a full month (and also only kills adults)

Lots of clients seem to like broadline which is like front line with extras.

user1471438981 Sun 08-Oct-17 13:47:34

Got an electronic flea comb for our cats, it roasted one flea and then...nothing. Not sure if it broke but it didn't even function as a regular, non electronic comb. The teeth of the comb were quite widely spaced and not suitable for fleas imo. Now we stick to the tablet flea treatments, which work well.

BhajiAllTheWay Sun 08-Oct-17 14:56:21

Bravecto is a 3 monthly injection for fleas and worms. Our cat had heavy infestation as we'd treat her with frontline which didn't work (even the vet said it is ineffective). The injection has been great though.We haven't seen any and the cat doesn't scratch.

Spangles1963 Sun 08-Oct-17 18:18:43

Ah! So the Bravecto is via injection? My late DMum always had her 4 cats treated for fleas with an injection,and I remember commenting once that I never saw any of them scratching,or any evidence of fleas at all. So I think it was pretty effective. My DD enquired at several vets a couple of years ago about flea injections and was told that they didn't do them any more as they were a) ineffective hmm b) could be harmful! So I don't know what to believe now!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 08-Oct-17 18:21:29

Advocate for the cat Indorex for the house.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 08-Oct-17 18:21:52

Normal flea comb will work fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now