Talk

Advanced search

Do you teach your children not to look over other people's shoulders?

(18 Posts)
MrsOverTheRoad Sat 07-Oct-17 03:31:11

Or am I hopelessly old-fashioned in that I am always taken aback by 9 year old DD"s friend who always sits very close to me when I'm on my laptop and looks at my screen.

I just don't like it!

My DC have been taught not to do that.

PeapodBurgundy Sat 07-Oct-17 04:56:39

I would have thought that came under the umbrella of teaching your child boundaries about personal space etc confused
I'd not be comfortable with that either, is she the same age (ish) as your DD? Is a polite word with her going to get it solved or would it start a riot?

HashtagTired Sat 07-Oct-17 05:42:36

OMFG. Slightly off topic but I have a friend that DOES this! Is so pissing annoying. I get a text and she immediately asks me who it’s from and what it says and if I’m polite enough to respond she asks me what I’m texting back .... JUST BACK OFF! But partly my fault because she’s a sensitive soul and if I told her to mind her own, she’d get very upset. Sorry, just had to put that out there!

MrsOverTheRoad Sat 07-Oct-17 06:06:10

Pea yes...that's it...personal space! The child is 9 and she does the same to her Mother who puts up with it over and over again before suddenly exploding without warning! confused

She'll suddenly appear and plonk next to me,....very close...and say "Whatcha DOING?"

SippingSipsmith Sat 07-Oct-17 06:28:26

No. But reading this makes me think I should but first I need to teach DH. He is the worst. Lost count of the number of times a commuter has turned around to find him reading their paper over their shoulder!

MinervaSaidThat Sat 07-Oct-17 06:32:02

I quite like people reading my paper over my shoulder. Makes it feel almost camaraderie-y on the London tube.

SippingSipsmith Sat 07-Oct-17 06:34:31

Haha Minervasaidthat. It works pretty well for him until they start turning the pages grin

MinervaSaidThat Sat 07-Oct-17 07:25:30

Haha, he should start telling them he wasn't finished with that page!

Then he will appear on a CF thread here wink

Blackcatonthesofa Sat 07-Oct-17 07:34:30

OMFG. Slightly off topic but I have a friend that DOES this! Is so pissing annoying. I get a text and she immediately asks me who it’s from and what it says and if I’m polite enough to respond she asks me what I’m texting back ....

It could also be a way to tell you not to text (talk) to other people when she arranged to see you for a chat.

MrsOverTheRoad Sat 07-Oct-17 07:37:26

Yes....texting whilst with a mate's not as bad as leaping into the seat next to me and nosing at what I'm reading!

Andrewofgg Sat 07-Oct-17 07:46:08

My GF - my father's father, I never met him - was a printer. If anyone read his newspaper over his shoulder he could just turn it upside down and read on. Game, set and match!

SandyDenny Sat 07-Oct-17 07:51:01

No, I can definitely say that I have never specifically told my children not to do that.

I guess it falls into the category of millions of things I've failed on as a parent because the situation has never arisen.

One of my DCs has a friend who imo is overly inquisitive to the point of rudeness and I do tell them that if you go to call for someone and the parent says they aren't home you don't then start on 20 questions about where they are,who they are with and when they'll be back.

CircleofWillis Sat 07-Oct-17 07:57:21

Blackcat, I was thinking the same thing. @Hashtagtired I would be annoyed if my friend was reading answering txt messages when we were hanging out. My phone stays in my bag or my pocket unless it rings then I check to see if it is urgent before answering.

SpottedGingham Sat 07-Oct-17 07:58:45

I was reading someone's newspaper on a train in Germany. He suspected I was reading, glared at me and folded it up so I couldn't read it. I then spoke to my DD in English, man next to me smiled a bit and unfolded his paper enabling me to finish the article I was reading. I guess he thought as I was English that I couldn't read German. grin

BlackeyedSusan Sat 07-Oct-17 23:21:38

of course.

whether they take that on board or not is a different matter. they are autistic and it takes a bit longer for the personal space message to get through.

Oldraver Sun 08-Oct-17 00:48:37

Yes of course as it's one of those irritating things. My Dad bloody well does it as well and leans over to look at what I'm looking at online

KeepServingTheDrinks Sun 08-Oct-17 00:56:56

Can I just say that I love having a good nose at what people are reading on public transport. And although I've got one, I really resent the rise of kindles and other devices because it means I can't tell and judge what other people are reading.

Andrewofgg Sun 08-Oct-17 07:49:14

I look at what people are reading too, but from the other side of the Tube compartment, not over their shoulders, which is bloody rude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now