Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if any of you have remedies to make periods lighter?

(38 Posts)
HCantThinkOfAUsername Fri 06-Oct-17 23:16:27

Posting here for traffic!
I suffer horrendous periods (endometriosis), can't take NSAIDS because of stomach ulcer or have any contraception to stop them as I've had blood clots.
I've got an extremely heavy one atm, wearing 3 super absorbant pads and still been leaking through. On my 3rd pack of pads today.
Buscopan and Co codamol are helping pain wise but does anyone know something that can make them lighter temporarily?
I've work tomorrow, long shift and community care. I'm too scared to even sit down in case I leak through so want a lighter period tomorrow

Holdbacktheriver Fri 06-Oct-17 23:26:41

Sorry op I’m not much help as I have similar problems.

My Gp did prescribe me tranexamic acid but I can’t say it’s made a massive difference. I still have to double up on night time pads and I’m lucky if I get more than half an hour before I’m leaking through sad

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 06-Oct-17 23:40:23

A fucking hysterectomy sad
Roll on the menopause frankly

Emilyfarnsbarns Sat 07-Oct-17 00:04:55

I was advised to start taking iron supplements, the ones that are absorbed better by the body, and my periods definitely got lighter, not so much clotting too.

icequeenxox Sat 07-Oct-17 00:10:21

flowers no suggestions but I feel for you, get a hot water bottle and make sure you're being well looked after xx

OliviaStabler Sat 07-Oct-17 00:20:56

I'm sorry, I can't help sad

Only thing that made mine bearable was a marina coil.

rainbowduck Sat 07-Oct-17 00:21:42

I am waiting on a day procedure where they laser the endometric bed. Should stop my periods, but apparently as I am young(ish), my periods could come back in 3-4 years. Its the lighter choice before a hysterectomy. I can't face the recovery period for that with a super active 2 year old so am willing to try this first.

LadyWithLapdog Sat 07-Oct-17 00:21:43

How about the progestigehebonlu pill?

LadyWithLapdog Sat 07-Oct-17 00:22:50

WRF was that? Progestogen only pill (POP)?

ittakes2 Sat 07-Oct-17 02:00:29

Acupuncture

fanlight79 Sat 07-Oct-17 02:06:25

No instant solutions I'm afraid but also have endometriosis and acupuncture worked for me

coraliss Sat 07-Oct-17 02:37:22

Merina coil. Absolutely horrendous period pains for as long as I can remember. I now just get the odd off day pain wise. Transformed my life. All the doctors that I have seen said that the merina coil is what they recommend for endometriosis. Sorry to hear this, I know what it’s like. Hugs x

KatyN Sat 07-Oct-17 06:26:40

I've recently had th same endometrial ablation that rainbow talks about. I'v gone from a super plus tampax and sanitary towel every hour to a normal tampax for 6/8 hours. It is amazing.

It sterilises you too but that was a double bonus for me!!

HCantThinkOfAUsername Sat 07-Oct-17 10:57:48

Ugh this is horrendous. Can't have hysterectomy yet as want one more child but not for 5 years sad

Neapolitanicecream Sat 07-Oct-17 13:34:28

Lost a stone in weight definitely litter periods 💐

underneaththeash Sat 07-Oct-17 13:55:05

Did you gp recommend 3 a day of the transexamic acid? The max dose is double that. I find mine are now bareable with 4-5, taking 2 first thing in the morning and 2 at the end of the day has made a massive difference.

treeofhearts Sat 07-Oct-17 13:57:29

Combined pill did wonders for me but no ideas to lighten it over night. Sorry op flowers

Zapdos Sat 07-Oct-17 13:58:18

My GP prescribed tranexamic acid. It did make my (horrific) periods lighter, but they lasted for a-g-e-s and I had loads of massive clots that didn't seem to be absorbed by tampons - they just leaked straight out. Vile. I stopped taking it!

RonaldMcDonald Sat 07-Oct-17 14:05:30

Agnes Caster...herbal remedy helps
Mireya coil helps

deepestdarkestperu Sat 07-Oct-17 14:07:00

Tranexamic acid helps me - I bleed for longer (7 days as opposed to 4-5) but it’s not as heavy and far less painful.

ForagingForFaerieGold Sat 07-Oct-17 14:14:21

Incontinence knickers to contain the flow temporarily. There's no quick fix here apparently. For tonight/tomorrow I'd be looking at containment. Sorry, I know it's not ideal. Some good suggestions on here for the future though.

esk1mo Sat 07-Oct-17 14:16:50

do you exercise? mine became light after i started lifting weights 4 x a week

also could you have depo injection? my periods stopped with that.

MikeUniformMike Sat 07-Oct-17 14:19:22

Exercise helps with many menstrual problems. Not being anaemic will help a lot.

EllenRipley Sat 07-Oct-17 14:24:31

There’s a good FB Page/website called EndoEmpowered which has loads of info (science-based and anecdotal) about endo and associated problems like heavy bleeding. The woman that runs it is a bit annoying but there is a lot of useful information about supplements, diet etc. Might not be useful for tmrw mind you, it’s more about a longer term approach but I’d definitely recommend it x

SquidgeyMidgey Sat 07-Oct-17 14:29:50

I don't have endometriosis but had horrific periods with flooding etc I found running regularly helped a little-known fewer clots but still flooded. Mine was fixed with a mirena but I don't imagine you want to go that route if you're waiting for surgical intervention. I hope get a date soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now