Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask whether slightly uneven facial features may be a result of birth?

(37 Posts)
TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 22:06:12

I'm just wondering really whether the way the skull compresses or something could leave you with uneven features? Similarly would ventouse or forceps have a long lasting effect on a baby's head?

goose1964 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:11:16

Baby's heads are not fully formed at birth so they are flexible, Things like ventouses should not cause long lasting damage.

PerryPerryThePlatypus Fri 06-Oct-17 22:29:19

No it wouldn't have any bearing on facial features. Faces are generally not symmetrical anyway.

PerryPerryThePlatypus Fri 06-Oct-17 22:31:22

Sometimes babies can have a bit of a cone head or bruising for a couple of days after birth but it's not permanent.

LynetteScavo Fri 06-Oct-17 22:45:58

It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

But I'd think uneven features were more likely to be genetic.

moreismore Fri 06-Oct-17 22:49:04

It depends what you mean by 'uneven'. Putting babies to sleep on their backs is undoubtedly safest but often they lie with their head slightly turned. This can lead to the base of the skull flattening slightly on one side and the brow bone on the same side protruding. This can persist into adulthood but wouldn't usually be noticeable to many people.

DesignedForLife Fri 06-Oct-17 22:53:09

What are you asking? DD had a huge dent on one side of her forehead at birth (normal delivery), it was gone by a year old.

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:01:34

One side of my face seems bigger than the other. I guess I'm wondering whether I was squashed out!

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:03:21

I actually don't know any details of my birth. As far as I know it was straightforward. It wasn't a section, that much I know.

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:04:42

Designforlife, my question is actually in the title of the thread.

BuddingGardener2017 Fri 06-Oct-17 23:06:20

I know someone (adult) with asymmetric eye lids probably due to a forceps birth injuring a nerve on one side - does that count?

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:09:35

I must ask my mother whether there was any intervention. She tends to mix us up though so probably won't know lol.

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:10:44

Not as if she had 20 of us either. 3 of us.

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:11:33

Middle child, so probably a mental block.

elephantoverthehill Fri 06-Oct-17 23:14:46

My Dd has quite uneven eyes, especially when she is a bit tired. It was worrying her a bit so I used to point out to her people on the telly with asymmetrical eyes, there are a lot. Dd was EmCS. My GMa had one pointy ear, she said it was due to being 'dragged out' with forceps by the ear. We all knew it was because she was a witch.

PickAChew Fri 06-Oct-17 23:15:39

More likely an issue somewhere in growth. I've always had one side of my lower jaw big enough for all my adult teeth and one side really not. never been an issue for me (apart from the dental treatment) until the sag of middle age emphasised it.

Birth intervention is often unavoidable, so not worth the fretting. DS1 (and probably me) wouldn't be here without forceps.

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:17:14

I tend to cock my head to one side naturally too. I reckon I am just a little bit strange lol.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Oct-17 23:17:26

Faces aren't symmetrical.

sparechange Fri 06-Oct-17 23:20:14

ExH had an ever so slightly wonky mouth/top lip which he said was because he was a forceps delivery
Not sure if it was true but him and his parents thought it was

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:23:01

It just seems like one side of my head is bigger than the other (from photos - it doesn't actually feel like one side is bigger). Jesus Christ I sound like some sort of weird human.
It just made sense to me that maybe they dragged my head out with a forceps or something, thus permanently distorting my beautiful features lol

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:32:00

Then again my right foot is bigger than my left foot. It's just odd. From photos, the disparity is very obvious to me.

TiesThatBindMe Fri 06-Oct-17 23:33:25

I take two different shoe sizes in the same bloody shoe!

Imsorrynow Fri 06-Oct-17 23:33:44

If faces were completely symmetrical they would look odd. Try it with a mirror. Two of my (very handsome) DS have one eye noticeably bigger than the other. But you'd only notice if it was pointed out.
Don't worry.

Imsorrynow Fri 06-Oct-17 23:35:23

Most people have one foot slightly bigger than the other (so I was reliably informed by Clarkes)

IHeartDodo Fri 06-Oct-17 23:36:32

Most people are wonky... I saw a thing once where someone had made faces symmetrical by taking a picture and flipping it.. They looked weird. They'd used the queen as an example and I remember the symmetrical version had one tooth right in the middle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now