Talk

Advanced search

To tell the teacher that dd won't be doing the detention ?

(378 Posts)
Wibblywobblyfoo Fri 06-Oct-17 20:15:29

Dd came home from school tonight saying that she has been given an after school detention, to be done on monday, for missing a bit of homework that was meant to be handed in today. She went to her lesson and they were all asked for their homework. She told the teacher there was none and the teacher logged onto the online homework portal and showed them the set work, that she had set at 9.30pm last night!
Dd is 14 and was in bed at 9.30 last night. We also have a no computers after 8.30 pm for them all during the week.
Is setting the work that late reasonable?

allegretto Fri 06-Oct-17 20:16:20

Totally unreasonable!

Santawontbelong Fri 06-Oct-17 20:17:01

So the teacher expected them to do hw after 930?! That's nuts!!

disconnecteddrifter Fri 06-Oct-17 20:17:14

Are you sure that's what happened? Did the teacher set via planner beforehand? I'd call up the school and ask what the situation was and I'm sure if this is the case they will not insist on a detention but it's poor form to go around refusing detentions as a first measure

hesterton Fri 06-Oct-17 20:17:32

Are you sure the homework wasn't set in the lesson and only entered on the portal last night?

Janek Fri 06-Oct-17 20:17:38

Was it set during the last lesson, and only put on show my homework or whatever last night? In which case your dd should have known about it and done it. If it was set in secret after bedtime yanbu.

DO3271 Fri 06-Oct-17 20:18:11

Thats ridiculous and YANBU.

TractorTedTed Fri 06-Oct-17 20:18:33

Well did the teacher actually set it then? Sounds odd to me.
In fact it sounds more like the teacher would have told the students during the lesson what the homework was and then later logged it online.

In which case, yes, your dd should do the detention.

Is the time logged when the homework was put on? If it was actually put on at 9:30 then of course it wouldn't be done for the next day.

LuluJakey1 Fri 06-Oct-17 20:20:02

That is an unreasonable expectation of teacher. DD should do the homework at the weekend, take it in first thing Monday with a full note of explanation from you.

WineAndTiramisu Fri 06-Oct-17 20:20:50

I would think they were told earlier than that, if it really was set at 2130 last night, most of the class wouldn't have seen it or done it!

Wibblywobblyfoo Fri 06-Oct-17 20:21:12

No definely not set during class time. The teacher had added a note to the homework that made it clear. She also hadn't taken the last as she had been Ill. You can also see what time the homework.was posted, I checked when dd got hime.

IndianaMoleWoman Fri 06-Oct-17 20:21:22

I wouldn’t undermine the school. Even if the situation is as it appears (which I doubt), the message to your DD is that she can come running to mummy every time she breaks school rules and be let off the consequences.

Poppins2016 Fri 06-Oct-17 20:22:04

Totally unreasonable on face value... I don't know any reasonable teacher who would do that! However, is it possible that the online portal is a technicality? Could the pupils have been given written/verbal instruction earlier in the day/week? Most homework is explained in class.

Wibblywobblyfoo Fri 06-Oct-17 20:22:15

2 children in the class did the work. The rest didn't.

Anasnake Fri 06-Oct-17 20:23:28

How do you know it wasn't also set during class time ?

sinceyouask Fri 06-Oct-17 20:23:52

Oh don't be ridiculous Indiana

Poppins2016 Fri 06-Oct-17 20:23:54

Cross posted....

Sounds as though the teacher is unreasonable!

G1raffe Fri 06-Oct-17 20:24:57

I wouldn't be happy my child doing detention for that.

Do they really gwt detention for one missed homework!?

Wibblywobblyfoo Fri 06-Oct-17 20:25:25

The note mentioned the fact the teacher had been off Ill for the lesson on tuesday and that they would need to catch up on the work missed as the lesson today wouldn't fit it all in. It had a time and dye stamp for last night. There is no way it was set in class.

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 06-Oct-17 20:27:19

So how did the other two know about it? Would they be checking the system at that time of night?

Wibblywobblyfoo Fri 06-Oct-17 20:29:03

G1 yeah they do. And I have no issue with that. If she doesn't do the work she is set or doesn't listen she should have to have the "punishment'. That doesn't bother me. She is very good at making sure she has it all done and in 3 years hasn't had a detention for missed work.( or anything else that I can remember)

Tw1nsetAndPearls Fri 06-Oct-17 20:30:28

Do they really gwt detention for one missed homework!?

The detention in this instance sounds unreasonable but unlikely

I issue a detention to students for every missed homework or any homework that shows poor effort. I would have thought that is fairly standard.

G1raffe Fri 06-Oct-17 20:31:46

Wow it wasn't in the school I taught at!

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 06-Oct-17 20:32:05

I was all ready to say you were unreasonable BUT I don't think you are.
I'd ask for clarification from teacher/form tutor. I have missed a couple of lessons this week due to maternity appointments and I have set homework as well as cover work to be given to the class.
I personally as a teacher feel that next day homework is unreasonable even if set in class but that's a different argument. There is no way a teacher should be setting work that late. If a student emails me with a query at that time I would only reply if it was an emergency.
Sorry if this sounds all jumbled, I'm a little tired.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now