Talk

Advanced search

To be nearly 30 and still not know what I want to do when I grow up?

(23 Posts)
lasketchup Fri 06-Oct-17 09:32:55

Just that really. Feeling shit. I don’t work. Have had MANY jobs but none suitable for me now having a child (events, bar work etc) A nearly 4 year old whose just gone full time at school (woo-goo) but after two weeks of this I’m bored already. I want to do something with my life but don’t know what. I want a career not just a job but is it too late now? I don’t mind training but have no idea what I want to.

I did think about becoming a teacher and worked in a school as a ta whilst I did a ta course (which I never completed! Another one of my problems, procrastinating and not finishing things!). I loved it but worked it out and I couldn’t survive on t.a wage. Although child at full time school will have probably changed that!

I’ve always wanted my own little shop but wouldn’t know where to start. I think my confidence is low.

I’m giving myself til January to gunfire something out but don’t know where to start.

Any suggestions or a kick up the arse welcome!

Foxyloxy1plus1 Fri 06-Oct-17 09:45:20

I'm considerably older than that and I'm still waiting to find out. I was a teacher and always thought I'd do something else after I had children. Somehow, things took over and I never had the time or money to retrain for anything else.

I wouldn't go for teaching. Not these days, it'sreally not family friendly. A couple of friends and I sometimes fsntasised about having a craft and yarn shop. We never had the money to do it though.

lasketchup Fri 06-Oct-17 09:53:21

I totally get what you mean about teaching. I the hours and work load I had just as a trainee ta was a lot but I did enjoy it. I was thinking about doing something in beauty but feel that industry is flooded now.

I have no direction 😕

RB68 Fri 06-Oct-17 09:57:08

Sit down and write down what you want out of working - is it more ££, is it sense of fulfillment (what would give you that) is it flexibility, is it company in the office.

That should help you with a sense of what you are looking for. Get hold of a local college prospectus and see what is available and whether you are entitled to anything for free or reduced cost.

If working from home I would think about book keeping or accountancy type qualification or maybe design etc. If office based I would look for a returning to work type thing.

Do you want freelance or permanent? PT or FT, fit round school or good childcare provision available? So lots of things to get you started

RB68 Fri 06-Oct-17 09:59:13

OK re shop - have you done any shop work? Try and get some experience.

Try networking locally sometimes Mum networking can be less threatening although possibly full of MLM sometimes.

What sort of shop? Where? What else is around local to you? Are there any gaps? DIY or franchise?

GlitteryFluff Fri 06-Oct-17 10:03:21

No advice but I hear you.
I'm 27, have worked in retail since I left school, tbf working up to managerial level but then had Ds so had to go part time and step down (childcare would have wiped out my wages). Now pregnant with dd, will be almost 29 when I go back after maternity leave. Will have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. So stuck again with childcare vs wages so will have to be part time still til dd starts school. So by then I'll be 32.
I still don't know what I want to do, what I'm able to do. I don't want to work in retail forever, it's not enjoyable. I don't want to work up to managerial level again. But I'm not qualified for anything. No money to pay for courses etc. Stuffed.
Wish I had a passion for something.

KimmySchmidt1 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:03:23

What were you good at at school? What did you like the idea of doing for a job when you were 13 or 15?

Commit to spending hours on the internet researching what various different variations of the same type of role/skill set there are.

They also have quizzes that can help you work out what you are suited for.

Most of all, start really scaring yourself about the permanence of death. You could drift about letting yourself off the hook and not getting your sh1t together, but you would have wasted your short life.

Sounds like you need a sense of mortality and urgency about things, and to stop forgiving yourself for being so lame.

lasketchup Fri 06-Oct-17 10:10:40

Wow kimmy! Thanks for that lool that’s hard to hear but that’s the kind of thing I need to hear. I am lame I always say to myself it’s ok. No. It’s not ok I need to get my life together and stop sitting around looking at other people’s lives envious saying shoulda woulda coulda!

I wanted beauty shop but think it’s flooded now. I love being creative. I re done my flat, up cycled designed it all myself I really enjoy that kind of thing. Was good at dt at school and science.

I have retail experience lots of it.

Glitter: having no passion! I’m exactly the same.

sweetbitter Fri 06-Oct-17 12:28:06

I'm older than you and after doing two different sorts of job for the last 10 years I've finally decided what I actually want to do and have gone back to uni to retrain (1 year conversion Masters). It is an in-demand area, so hopefully I should be able to get a good job afterwards...as long as I'm not perceived as too old by prospective employers! It feels great being back at university though, and so far I am really happy with my decision. I couldn't have done this before as a) couldn't really have afforded it and b) I didn't know I wanted to do it. So my thinking is it's never too late!

Cornettoninja Fri 06-Oct-17 12:52:22

I'm older than you and still have no idea. I'm thinking of retraining in a year or so when dd is a little older but am looking in the direction of skills shortages in the hope I can earn decent money rather than with any real passion.

How flexible are you with working hours? Is temping an option? Gives you a flavour for different industries without too much commitment. Be warned though you might find yourself drifting even more but for you're conscious of it you shouldn't get too carried away.

DeputyBrennan Fri 06-Oct-17 13:02:18

I'm 30 and still have no idea what I want to do with my life either. I'm fairly well established in a respectable and well-paying profession, but I feel numb imagining doing it for another 2 years, let alone 30.

I have no passions that I could turn into a job, and even looking back as far as GCSE choices, I just chose subjects I was good at, rather than anything I'm interested in. The only profession I've ever been interested in is air traffic control, but would be many barriers to me ever actually pursuing that. If I never needed to earn money again, I'd spend most of my time walking dogs and giving them a loving home, but I do need to earn money.

So I have no advice, because I'm in need of it as you are. I'll probably end up being an accountant forever because I'm fearful and it would be too scary to make the leap to something new, but you actually have everything to play for. Try and think of it as something exciting. You are definitely nowhere close to being too old to retrain or discover a passion.

bornagainsmiley Fri 06-Oct-17 13:10:32

This post is a wake up call for me. I'm 25 and haven't any idea what career to go in to.

lasketchup Mon 09-Oct-17 16:01:25

So... I don’t know if anyone’s still here but I’ve decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with the beauty business.

Currently looking at updating my skills and adding new treatments to my list.

I’m also looking at doing a short business course. Is this worth it??

I keep wobbling and not fully backing myself yet though because I’m scared of failing and people saying “seen this before” but it’s the only thing I keep coming back too after all the lists and brainstorming I’ve done over the past few days. I also had a memory pop up on Facebook from nearly 10 years ago by a work colleague saying “have you started your shop yet?”

Shocking i’ve wasted 10 years 😕

Akire Mon 09-Oct-17 16:09:12

30 is
Nothing! If you started a career at 18 then at 30 you would have 12y experience under your belt. By the time you retire you will be nearly 70 so have 40y to work. So plenty of to start a proper career.

sweetbitter Tue 10-Oct-17 08:59:12

Well done OP! Sounds like a good decision.

I have no idea re the business course, but I'd probably look for something that was specifically geared towards people starting up their own small businesses, rather than a general business course. I'd also want to try to get in touch with owners of other businesses like the one you want to set up and get advice from them re the potential pitfalls, key tips etc. The internet would probably be the best place to start!

teaandtoast Tue 10-Oct-17 09:04:21

lasketchup - are you thinking of doing it from home? Or going mobile? Lower start up costs.

Sayyouwill Tue 10-Oct-17 09:05:34

Are you me?!

BestZebbie Tue 10-Oct-17 09:16:16

Get some up to date books/internet research about what you'd need to be self-employed in terms of tax registration, personal liability insurance (in case you hurt someone), business insurance (in case all your equipment gets stolen), qualifications in the treatments, security procedures for going into people's homes to protect both you (mobile phone, leaving contact details, checking out customers) and them (PAT testing electrical equipment you bring to plug in, having heatproof mats and spill-proof trays for putting your stuff on their tables etc), do you need a DRB check or first aid course (for example if you burn someone would you know what to do?). You'll need a booking system that you can operate from anywhere if you are working alone, as you don't want to turn away customers who want to book an appointment whist you are in the middle of treating somebody else - but you need a way to make that contact quick so your current customer doesn't feel neglected.
Then you will need a website, advertising, probably some sort of introductory offers to try to get your first people to attract testimonies and word of mouth recommendations, start building up a local community presence by attending events with a stall, etc.

PoisonousSmurf Tue 10-Oct-17 09:22:42

I've never known what I've wanted to do. It must be so dull knowing exactly what you are meant to be and then stuck there for ever!
I'd rather be a Jack of all trades. At least I can't get bored, but then I am a Gemini grin

phoenix1973 Tue 10-Oct-17 09:22:54

It's hard. I'm 44 and still don't know. I'm good at gardening, playin guitar hero, roller skating, writing, swimming and drawing. Not much use in my pt admin jobs. 🙄

PoisonousSmurf Tue 10-Oct-17 09:22:55

And I'm 50!

aintnothinbutagstring Tue 10-Oct-17 09:55:01

I think beauty is a great idea, of my friends I know they are always looking for recommendations of good nail artists especially mobile ones, of course eyebrow treatments are also big business at the moment. My old schoolfriend runs a salon in a well to do area and makes a good living, especially as she keeps on top of the latest trends and has built up a good name.

CandyMelts Tue 10-Oct-17 10:04:40

I've found so many new beauticians im now loyal to through Treatwell. I know they take a % but I've had brilliant manicures etc through tiny 1 woman salons that I wouldn't have ever known were there and tbh would have dismissed as they're in grotty buildings. Get some good reviews on there and it'll really help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now