Talk

Advanced search

To think counselling can be brilliant?

(5 Posts)
FrenchIsFun Fri 06-Oct-17 00:06:25

After having a bit of a rubbish experience with some online counselling (Silvercloud, if anyone's heard of it) along with phone reviews from a counsellor, I've now been referred to face-to-face counselling. Have only had my first face-to-face session so far, but wow - it's been effective. I just feel much more secure and reassured.

toffee1000 Fri 06-Oct-17 00:08:40

It can be brilliant, it can be shit. You've been lucky and found a counsellor you get on with, this isn't always the case.
Glad that it's working for you though. smile

FrenchIsFun Fri 06-Oct-17 00:11:41

Really sorry to hear that Toffee flowers some counsellors do seem to be quite ineffective or a bad fit for their patient, and sometimes maybe the style of counselling that they have is not quite right for the patient as well.

toffee1000 Fri 06-Oct-17 00:21:16

I have done a bit of counselling through a clinical psychologist when I was about 16, it wasn't much good but that was mainly because I didn't put the effort in on my side.
I just know that it can sometimes not be so great through reading on MN. I'm waiting for an assessment for ASD and will probably go for associated counselling afterwards, mainly for anxiety purposes. I hope that anyone I find will be as good as yours!

ZoniSouslaLune Fri 06-Oct-17 04:54:55

I agree that counselling can be fantastic.

I suppose it's a combination of being ready to dig in and do the work, and finding a good counsellor who's a good fit. I've been lucky.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: