Talk

Advanced search

To think my cat should eat something?!

(66 Posts)
therealreginaphalange Thu 05-Oct-17 20:51:26

Posting for traffic after no responses on the pet boards.

Our cat has always been very fussy but for the last few months it's reached ridiculous levels. He now miaows for food morning and evening as normal but then essentially licks it for a second then walks away. He's healthy, a good weight and no issues with teeth or gums (got him seen at the vet today). Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done about it? We're wasting so much food trying different brands and types (chunks in gravy, paté, fucking soup).

He's an indoor cat so not exactly burning loads of calories - maybe he just doesn't need much food? But as far as we can tell he's eating almost literally nothing!! Only things he'll reliably eat are those Lick-e-Lix pastes. He's even started turning his nose up at Dreamies. Dreamies!!

Anyway, any advice welcome as we don't really know what else to try.

I should say he's always done the licking-the-sauce off thing to an extent but would at least eat some meat. Now it's literally just a short few licks and he leaves all the meat behind plus barely touches his dry food.

We've tried Gourmet, Felix, Sheba, Whiskas and Sainsbury's and Aldi own brands.

GrumpyOldCatsNurse Thu 05-Oct-17 20:53:43

have you taken him to the vet?

therealreginaphalange Thu 05-Oct-17 20:55:27

Yes, he went to the vet today - totally healthy, no reason she could see for it at all. I was totally prepared for some hideous dental bill but now am totally stumped. She gave him a worming tablet and said it would clear out his system but I've no idea how that's even related. He's been like this for months.

isseywithcats Thu 05-Oct-17 20:57:12

try mashing his food up so its hard to seperate the lumps from the jelly, and you could get something smelly like sardines and mash a little bit into his food so he eats the stuff he dosent like to get to the stuff he does, i have a foster kitten like this at the moment, wont eat more than a spoonfull of his own food, but will push the big cats out of the way to eat whats in thier dishes, but its the same food lol

MsJudgemental Thu 05-Oct-17 20:57:30

Licky-lix is the work of the devil. Our cat was obsessed with it so much it gave him diarrhoea. We haven't seen it for ages- we assumed it had been banned! Get him on a proper vet-prescribed dried food with plenty of water. Why don't you let him go out?

therealreginaphalange Thu 05-Oct-17 20:59:01

Thanks for the tips issue. We do mash his food up and have tried mixing in stuff he likes. Genuinely he just seems to ignore it all now. He did eat some cooked chicken the other day (while ignoring everything else) so perhaps he just needs a higher quality food that's got a richer meat content? It's hard knowing where to start since everything in the supermarkets is the usual stuff!

aniawl Thu 05-Oct-17 21:00:03

Does he go out at all? Is it possible he found himself a different feeder? Ours went off his food once - turned out he'd visit the neighbour and help himself to their cat's bowl...

therealreginaphalange Thu 05-Oct-17 21:00:27

MsJudgmental it's only a treat, he only has a packet every month or so (if that)! We live in a flat, he's always been indoors except for a balcony in one flat when he was younger.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 05-Oct-17 21:01:24

If he's a good weight he has a secret food source.

therealreginaphalange Thu 05-Oct-17 21:02:00

aniawl I'd be impressed if he was getting out since we're on the 2nd floor! I did consider maybe we've got mice but I doubt he'd know what to do with one if he saw it and I'd have seen the bloody evidence by now.

Unless he's eating all the cousins of the one horrifically huge spider we've had here since moving in... <shudder>

therealreginaphalange Thu 05-Oct-17 21:04:06

He's (almost) definitely not being fed elsewhere. We don't even have visitors!

existentialmoment Thu 05-Oct-17 21:04:13

Try something from the pet shop rather than the supermarket, like applaws natural food. Much higher in meat content...not cheap though! Or maybe James Wellbeloved housecat food.

Clandestino Thu 05-Oct-17 21:04:45

Is he a totally and absolutely indoor cat or does he also venture outside into the garden etc? Cats are pretty good at getting food elsewhere if they feel like their private slaves are giving them unsatisfactory nutrition.
My Kitty was fed by our elderly neighbour and I bet she is still getting bits and pieces elsewhere.

therealreginaphalange Thu 05-Oct-17 21:05:54

existential I think we'll have to do that. We've never lived close enough to a vet but do now have one close by so I'll send DH to see what they have. I'm not worried about the price as long as he eats some!! Fed up of throwing packs away.

existentialmoment Thu 05-Oct-17 21:07:26

It is more expensive but its probably cheaper than buying and throwing stuff out uneaten. And cats often eat less of the premium stuff so its not too bad overall.

Soubriquet Thu 05-Oct-17 21:08:01

Yes try a higher quality meat food

Pet shops usually sell them in single tins so you don't have to spend too much to begin with

Applaws
Natures menu
Lily's kitchen
Fish4cats

Anything that lists meat and not meat deritives first

Wisterical Thu 05-Oct-17 21:13:09

How much food are you putting in his bowl? With fussy eating foster cats what I've found works is putting a very small spoonful of food in the bowl, if it's not eaten in a couple of hours I chuck it away, clean the bowl and put fresh spoonful of food in bowl. They seem more likely to eat fresh food and not so much irritating waste this way. If this doesn't work then I put a teeny bit of grated cheese under the spoonful of cat food. That's never failed!

expatinspain Thu 05-Oct-17 21:13:15

Have you tried chicken or tuna? My indoor cats went through these stages from time to time, but always ate chicken and usually tuna.

kali110 Thu 05-Oct-17 21:14:14

Is he an old cat?

Penny4UrThoughts Thu 05-Oct-17 21:17:00

I have a very similar issue.

I have tried the SUPER expensive vet cat food (£2.50 per sachet!!), applaws etc etc.

I have resorted to a mix of cooked and raw chicken with a nutritional supplement called nutri-vit. It's been nearly a week and she is still eating it.

Good luck!

chocolatespiders Thu 05-Oct-17 21:20:59

Might be worth trying James well beloved biscuits. You can try a small pouch.

Sainsburys do a £2.00 pack of basic frozen white fish I used to buy for my cat and simmer one in water and then chop

deepestdarkestperu Thu 05-Oct-17 21:24:14

Applaws, Lily’s Kitchen and Nature’s Menu are all good brands - grain free and a high meat content.

therealreginaphalange Thu 05-Oct-17 21:24:30

Thank you, these are exactly the types of tips I was looking for. Penny that sounds cheaper than the sachets/tins option, will look into it!

Wisterical we don't put much in at all, have never given him a full sachet of anything. Clean bowl for every meal, he won't even eat a spoonful of wet food.

Kali should have mentioned his age - he's 8.5 so not young but not that old!

therealreginaphalange Thu 05-Oct-17 21:26:49

expat he did wolf down some cooked chicken the other day so that's definitely worth a go. Tuna is hit and miss - he used to love it but now just as likely to leave it.

Tbh I think he's just fussy so clearly we need to up our game. He's always turned his nose up at more 'premium' foods in the past but worth another go!

MaudesMum Thu 05-Oct-17 21:27:22

Some cats are grazers and will just take small bits of food throughout day. Mine will make a noise about wanting food, eat a few bits, go away again and then come back again, and so on. I therefore feed her on dry food, so it can be left out all day. But I do use one high in meat content - James Wellbeloved, again. You could try having one bowl for dry food, left out throughout the day, and then small snacks of wet food and see how it goes??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now